House Republicans voted to gut the House Ethics Committee, and George Santos said it was 'fantastic'

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Well..at least one winner in all the House Speaker drama! It appears that the swamp just just a lot more swampy~

• House Republicans voted on Monday to hobble the Office of Congressional Ethics.
  • The body will now likely be limited in its ability to carry out investigations due to staffing shortages.
  • George Santos, facing multiple investigations and ethics complaints, called the changes "fantastic."
The House of Representatives on Monday passed a new set of rules to govern the chamber that will severely weaken the ability of the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) to investigate members of Congress for potential wrongdoing.
"I think it's fantastic," Republican Rep. George Santos of New York said of the rules package, which passed by a 220-213 margin, in a brief interview with Insider at the Capitol on Monday.
The changes come just days after Santos — who was revealed to have lied about much of his background, is under investigation in multiple countries, and faces at least two OCE complaints related to his financial disclosures — was sworn into Congress.
"The proposed rules package severely curtails the ability of OCE to do the job it exists to do," a constellation of good-government groups wrote in a letter published on January 4.

The Office of Congressional Ethics, first established in 2008, is a quasi-independent body tasked with investigating allegations of misconduct against members of Congress. It then makes a determination as to whether those allegations are worth investigating further, at which point it makes a referral to the House Ethics Committee, which is evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats.
But the rules package for the 118th Congress, put forward by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, re-imposes eight-year term limits for the OCE's board members, made up of former members of Congress, that were originally laid out when the office was established in 2008 and later extended in subsequent congresses.
The practical effect of that will be the immediate removal of three of four Democratic-appointed board members: former Reps. Mike Barnes, Belinda Pinckney, and Karan English. House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries can appoint their replacements, but that could take months.
Furthermore, the rules prevent the office from hiring new staff after one month and require four board members to sign off on any staffing decision. That means the office — which currently has just one investigative counsel on staff and is actively seeking to hire two more — likely won't have enough time to hire new staff, and will not be able to fill any vacancies that might occur in the next two years.

Taken together, the rules will make it extraordinarily difficult for the body — which otherwise operates independently of Congress and has generally been more effective at investigating wrong-doing than self-policing Ethics Committee in the House or Senate — will not have the necessary resources it needs to carry out its work.

Damn, no more dem-fueled witch hunts using the OCE as cover....Poor dems.

"In his first act of the 2003 congress <generic republican> voted to gut the house ethics committee."

A multitude of future campaign ads.

The dirty deals must be worth looking like hogs lining up at the trough. Not that any of you care.

First we need to note, this committee rarely actually did anything. That said, this is not going to play out well for the Republicans.

Well..at least one winner in all the House Speaker drama! It appears that the swamp just just a lot more swampy~

• House Republicans voted on Monday to hobble the Office of Congressional Ethics.
  • The body will now likely be limited in its ability to carry out investigations due to staffing shortages.
  • George Santos, facing multiple investigations and ethics complaints, called the changes "fantastic."
The House of Representatives on Monday passed a new set of rules to govern the chamber that will severely weaken the ability of the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) to investigate members of Congress for potential wrongdoing.
"I think it's fantastic," Republican Rep. George Santos of New York said of the rules package, which passed by a 220-213 margin, in a brief interview with Insider at the Capitol on Monday.
The changes come just days after Santos — who was revealed to have lied about much of his background, is under investigation in multiple countries, and faces at least two OCE complaints related to his financial disclosures — was sworn into Congress.
"The proposed rules package severely curtails the ability of OCE to do the job it exists to do," a constellation of good-government groups wrote in a letter published on January 4.

The Office of Congressional Ethics, first established in 2008, is a quasi-independent body tasked with investigating allegations of misconduct against members of Congress. It then makes a determination as to whether those allegations are worth investigating further, at which point it makes a referral to the House Ethics Committee, which is evenly divided between Republicans and Democrats.
But the rules package for the 118th Congress, put forward by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, re-imposes eight-year term limits for the OCE's board members, made up of former members of Congress, that were originally laid out when the office was established in 2008 and later extended in subsequent congresses.
The practical effect of that will be the immediate removal of three of four Democratic-appointed board members: former Reps. Mike Barnes, Belinda Pinckney, and Karan English. House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries can appoint their replacements, but that could take months.
Furthermore, the rules prevent the office from hiring new staff after one month and require four board members to sign off on any staffing decision. That means the office — which currently has just one investigative counsel on staff and is actively seeking to hire two more — likely won't have enough time to hire new staff, and will not be able to fill any vacancies that might occur in the next two years.

Taken together, the rules will make it extraordinarily difficult for the body — which otherwise operates independently of Congress and has generally been more effective at investigating wrong-doing than self-policing Ethics Committee in the House or Senate — will not have the necessary resources it needs to carry out its work.
I have no doubt that the House ethics committee was mostly made up of Democrats promoting their own version of ethics.

I have no doubt that the House ethics committee was mostly made up of Democrats promoting their own version of ethics.

The House ethics committee is made up the same way every other committee is, which means it was made up of people doing nothing but promoting their own version of reality no matter what party they belong to.

The House ethics committee is made up the same way every other committee is, which means it was made up of people doing nothing but promoting their own version of reality no matter what party they belong to.
So, you agree with me. I didn't see where you liked my post. I do agree with you so I liked your post.

So, you agree with me. I didn't see where you liked my post.

I did not like your post because you singled out one party while giving your beloved party a free pass.

Maybe one day you will see that both sides suck....but I am not going to hold my breath.

I did not like your post because you singled out one party while giving your beloved party a free pass.

Maybe one day you will see that both sides suck....but I am not going to hold my breath.
I don't remember singling out one party. All I said was that I have no doubt that the last House ethics committee was made up of mostly Democrats with their own reality of ethics. I never said or implied Republicans would be different. All I posted was the truth. You read more into my post than there was. But, apparently you agree with me.

Nope..didn't read the link eh? The commitee was/is made up of 4 dems and 4 repubs--all retired house members. The rules change immediately sent 3 Dems home--thus leaving the committee 3 people short and unable to function..as was the intent of the House Republicans.

Its the same over here and started under Johnson. The tories hate scrutiny and literally have to kill somebody to get a rap on the knuckles.

They let a rapist off so that he could vote on one measure. He is in jail now, independent of th house scrutiny system.

The difference between the two parties is that Pelosi acted like a dictator while McCarthy will actually work with fellow House members.

The difference between the two parties is that Pelosi acted like a dictator while McCarthy will actually work with fellow House members.

You are so cute when you post the fantasies about your beloved party.

Forum List

Back