Horror at largest solar farm in Mojave Desert frys birds flying over

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
I guess the enviro whackos aren't satisfied enough with whacking raptors and bats at an alarming rate with their eco crucifixes aka wind farms. (*credit to Delingpole for eco crucifixes.)

Noooooooooooo. Now the "so called environmentalists" who want clean energy hahahaha have taken over a pristine environment in the desert and created this monster solar farm that basically has a death ray to make kentucky fried birds on a daily basis.

Ahhhh. Enviro whackos care about the planet so, so much.

Part of this is in Nevada. I'm thinking Harry Reid. I'm thinking of doing more digging on who profits from this project.....:eusa_angel:

Horror at the world's largest solar farm days after it opens as it is revealed panels are SCORCHING birds that fly over them

The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, the world's largest solar plant of its kind, recently switched on

The plants is located on five square miles of the Mojave Desert, near the California / Nevada border

State energy officials have released photos of bird with singed feathers from flying into the hot 'thermal flux' around the towers, which can reach 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit

The plant is made up of three generating units surrounded by more than 300,000 reflecting mirrors

At full power it produces enough electricity for 140,000 homes but is still attracting controversy over environment

1,000 degrees fahrenheit? Special. And displace natural wildlife in this fragile ecosystem?

article-2560494-1B890C5200000578-469_964x718.jpg

article-2558257-6NLnvynrU-HSK1-874_964x641.jpg

Big changes: The Mojave Desert has been transformed from a wilderness which homes tortoises and coyotes to a $2.2billion green energy complex with the power to produce nearly 400 megawatts

World's largest solar farm is SCORCHING BIRDS that fly over it | Mail Online

Last edited:
How the heck did no one think of this???
I do not know enough about solar panel reflectiveness myself, but I would assume those building this....would.
And if they did.....
Then birds would be a problem...but what about an airplane?

When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

I suspect birds are killed by various things, including windows and trucks.

Solar energy is a worthy endeavor. No endeavor is without some drawback.

Last edited:
When the rightie kooks show some concern over the thousands of glass-paned office buildings that kill birds by the millions, then people might start paying attention to their hysterical hypocrisy. As usual, consistency points to the liberals for not going hysterical over either case.

Oh bite me oh arrogant one. I've been a conservationist all my life.

I just think that someone should think ahead when they decide to wreck a pristine environment like a desert with a solar farm that only provides energy for a miniscule amount of houses. And 140,000 houses is a drop in the bucket.

OR to put a massive wind farm on a migratory path for raptors. And the slaughter of bats is horrific.

So piss off with your holier than though rhetoric about all of us evil conservatives that do put our money where are mouths are and are activists. I've been one for decades.

I'm going to be kinder and gentler and try to point out to you that blanket statements regarding left and right when it comes to conservation is total unadulterated bullshit.

I try very hard to differentiate between keyboard assholes that just continually use talking points and old cliches and those I refer to as enviro whackos and enviro weenies on purpose as compared to true environmentalists and conservationists that I can have a discussion with from either side of the aisle.

Last edited:
th

I've seen these things while driving to and from California and had no idea what they were until a few months ago.

We're not the ones industrializing the desert and plopping death ray solar towers down in the middle of major migratory flyway.. The hypocrisy is beyond excuse..

We've done this one before TD. And it draws a clear line between those who care and those that have a million excuses for their harebrained ideas.. I think IvanPah is an interesting piece of engineering, but I want it subject to the SAME rules and scrutiny as any other power plant. And I want more sensitivity in WHERE these playthings are sited..

Major problem is -- it LOOKS like a desert lake from a birds view. (posted the aerials in the previous thread). Secondary major problem is the traffic and development that this biz brings with it.

Yet you only suddenly started caring about birds when the topic was green energy. Go fig. Just spare us the smarm. It's a dry lakebed. If, say, an oil well had been proposed for the spot instead, you'd all have been falling over yourselves to say how fantastic it was, no matter how much wildlife it killed.

So piss off with your holier than though rhetoric about all of us evil conservatives that do put our money where are mouths are and are activists. I've been one for decades.

Yep, a Delingpole fan. Most people see him as a whiny little man trying to overcompensate, but you've sort of adopted his style, especially the infantile namecalling thing.

I'm going to be kinder and gentler and try to point out to you that blanket statements regarding left and right when it comes to conservation is total unadulterated bullshit.

Kind of what I've been pointing out. You shouldn't have done that.

try very hard to differentiate between keyboard assholes that just continually use talking points and old cliches and those I refer to as enviro whackos and enviro weenies on purpose as compared to true environmentalists and conservationists that I can have a discussion with from either side of the aisle.

I've seen that routine before. When you encounter an argument you can't address, fling a name at them so you have an excuse to evade the issue. Delingpole indeed taught you well.

Yet you only suddenly started caring about birds when the topic was green energy. Go fig. Just spare us the smarm. It's a dry lakebed. If, say, an oil well had been proposed for the spot instead, you'd all have been falling over yourselves to say how fantastic it was, no matter how much wildlife it killed.

Yep, a Delingpole fan. Most people see him as a whiny little man trying to overcompensate, but you've sort of adopted his style, especially the infantile namecalling thing.

Kind of what I've been pointing out. You shouldn't have done that.

try very hard to differentiate between keyboard assholes that just continually use talking points and old cliches and those I refer to as enviro whackos and enviro weenies on purpose as compared to true environmentalists and conservationists that I can have a discussion with from either side of the aisle.

I've seen that routine before. When you encounter an argument you can't address, fling a name at them so you have an excuse to evade the issue. Delingpole indeed taught you well.

:lol: From you! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Not to excuse the infrastructure issues but lambs waiting to be slaughtered are put in tiny cages and spend months urinating and defecating on themselves.
Our modern, massive civilization has tons of moral compromises associated with it.

:lol: From you! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now Westwall's favorite evasion mode, as illustrated here, is to simply skip any attempt at actual discussion and fling out some emoticons instead.

If you had anything, and I mean anything useful to say, I would be happy to engage you in discussion. But, as you are nothing more than a cut and paste drone, you are as interesting to talk to as a lump of dirt.

Go live and work underground.

Enviro-nuts have a litany of 'acceptable" risks associated with the Green movement, yet give ZERO ground to even the most minimal of risks associated with hydrocarbons.

How the heck did no one think of this???
I do not know enough about solar panel reflectiveness myself, but I would assume those building this....would.
And if they did.....
Then birds would be a problem...but what about an airplane?

Airplanes aren't mistaking it for a shimmering lake.

I don't understand why they keep flying into it as the heat rises.

Forum List

Back