Hoover Dam, A Symbol Of The Modern West, Faces An Epic Water Shortage

Humans stupidly build mega cities in a desert wasteland, and along coastal flood zones to top it off.
Sure glad I live in the land of 10,000 lakes with a private well that has fresh water that doesn't stink and taste like shit, like treated city water.
View attachment 498504
And no fluoride like they force on you in the city.
I have been to the desert cities and was just down in Florida, and the tap water was horrible. Couldn't touch it after one sip, so I stuck with alcohol.
Even visiting friends in urban sewer districts here I can't stand the water that is treated from the muddy Mississippi. Tastes like a mix of chlorine and swamp. We have a 193ft well in a second aquifer. Pure, clean and ice cold right from the tap.

The farmland in California provides food. We can't live without food.

Yes the farmers in California take a lot of water and have been draining lakes around California since the 80s. I lived in So Ca in the 80s and there were news reports of lakes going dry then.

I think that something needs to be done because things can't keep going like it is now.
Maybe the government should relocate the farms to elsewhere in the country that doesn't have this issue.

Yes the farmers in California take a lot of water and have been draining lakes around California since the 80s. I lived in So Ca in the 80s and there were news reports of lakes going dry then.

I think that something needs to be done because things can't keep going like it is now.
Maybe the government should relocate the farms to elsewhere in the country that doesn't have this issue.
For crying out loud, the whole Pacific Ocean is there--desalinate.

I agree, desalination should be an alternative and they actually have begun doing that. A new desalination plant opened up in San Diego a couple of years ago, however, it's very expensive and it's something they should have started 30 years ago.

From the OP's own article:

". . .Authors Eric Kuhn and John Fleck wrote in their 2019 book “Science Be Dammed: How Ignoring Inconvenient Science Drained the Colorado River” that “even absent climate change, we would be in trouble” and that the current problems surrounding the river “are the inevitable result of critical decisions made by water managers and politicians who ignored the science” as early as the 1920s.

Scientific analyses in the 1920s found the Colorado River would be in deficit if dams and canals were built to meet the anticipated demand, Kuhn and Fleck wrote. The scientists’ warnings were ignored, and that “set in motion decades of decisions that would end in the overuse seen today.”

Hoover Dam, symbol of the modern West, faces a new test with an epic water shortage​

If folks are worried about fresh water? Move to the Midwest. . . we have no problems here, and have an interstate compact that includes Ontario. Even China is after the water here. . . :ack-1:

:heehee:

It really is more about the use and abuse of the water. . .

. . . than. . .

5ch99j.gif

I've been going to and photographing Lake Mead and Hoover Dam since the mid 80s

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

That lake and system provides water to California, Arizona and Nevada.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

But the fountains at the Belaggio are still running full blast and every tourist to LV has a glass of unused water on their tables. Build more houses in the desert. SMH.

The Bellagio uses water from a private well beneath the property — the water source for the old Dunes golf course — and thus does not further strain the Colorado River, the primary source of water for the Las Vegas Valley.

I've been going to and photographing Lake Mead and Hoover Dam since the mid 80s

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

That lake and system provides water to California, Arizona and Nevada.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

OVERPOPULATION is a huge problem

This is just the beginning of water crisis that will occur around the US...starting in the west and moving to the east. And, just like January 6th, the repub party will try to change history and eventually say, "WE WARNED ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE FOR YEARS.

So you never been out east and the Midwest?

Ever hear of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and great lakes, super tard?

Ok well if you're not going to be serious, there's no point.

I was being very serious. Stuff like that has been done before

This is just the beginning of water crisis that will occur around the US...starting in the west and moving to the east. And, just like January 6th, the repub party will try to change history and eventually say, "WE WARNED ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE FOR YEARS.
i blame all the CO2 from the brown shirt insurrectionist setting fires the past 4 years

You got a problem with food?
No, but the California liberals would rather save fish than let their farmers use that water for crops.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/water-and-drought/article162696018.html
From 2017, when there wasn't a drought:
The drought may be over and Central Valley farmers are getting more water than they have in years, but that hasn’t stopped congressional Republicans from resurrecting a bill that would strip environmental protections for fish so more water can be funneled to agriculture.

So you never been out east and the Midwest?

Ever hear of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers and great lakes, super tard?
No doubt. Rivers all across the middle of the nation flood every year, w/o fail.

And the national media make it seem like it gets worse every year, when, in fact, it has more to do with a lack of keeping up the infrastructure to keep back the flooding.

We generally have more water than we know what to do with when we don't want it, and then, in the dry season, not enough. . .

:rolleyes:

The Missouri River Is Just Going to Keep On Flooding​

Humans have been struggling to confine it for more than a century. The costs seem to be higher than the benefits.
1000x-1.jpg

From 2020

". . . Last year’s flooding was the worst on record in many areas. There were 42 sites that set new record high crests within the Missouri and Mississippi river basins. Now, soil moisture in those same areas is running between 20 and 40 percent above normal. All of this spells potentially big trouble again this spring, especially on the Mississippi River. . . "
promo406526798.jpg

I was being very serious. Stuff like that has been done before
Agreed.

Ask these folks about their water problem.

4361.jpg

Oh, that's right, you can't. . . they moved when it happened. :heehee:

Why were the cliffs abandoned?​

The cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde were abandoned around 1300 CE After all the time and effort it took to build these beautiful dwellings, why did people leave the area? Cliff Palace was built in the twelfth century. Why was it abandoned less than a hundred years later? These questions have not been answered conclusively, though it is likely that the migration from this area was due to either drought, lack of resources, violence, or some combination of these factors. We know, for instance, that droughts occurred from 1276 to 1299 CE. These dry periods likely caused a shortage of food and may have resulted in confrontations as resources became more scarce. The cliff dwellings remain, though, as compelling examples of how the Ancestral Puebloans literally carved their existence into the rocky landscape of today’s southwestern United States.

Forum List

Back