Hoover Dam, A Symbol Of The Modern West, Faces An Epic Water Shortage

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

maybe we should cut down half of the forests to offset co2 .

Climate change is making these droughts much worse. These changes are here to stay until we take action to reverse using our atmosphere as a dumping ground for our CO2 emissions.

Nope.

Hoover dam is built on the Colorado river and that river has been tapped so much for water over the years that it has less and less water as it goes south.

It's a well known and documented fact that predates "oh my god climate change is the boogey man for everything". It once reached the ocean dumping tons of water into it, but over time tributaries to it have been diverted, dams setup for hydro electricity, water diverted for communities and so on.

Basically man takes away so much water from the river that it isn't what it should be.

Climate change doesn't have shit to.
yep the dems in LA were destroying the eco-system and draining lakes back i the 1900s...Owens Lake? gone

I've been going to and photographing Lake Mead and Hoover Dam since the mid 80s

At that time the line of white from decrease in water was already there for everyone to see and the state was already talking about water levels.

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water. Each time I'm shocked at what I'm seeing and photographing. I photographed it last July. It was the worst conditions I've seen thus far at the lake.

That lake and system provides water to California, Arizona and Nevada.

They expect the lake to get to the low levels that cause shortages and conserving by August.

This year, they are worried about boats on Lake Mead damaging themselves on rocks, etc. now closer to the surface.

Hoover Dam Faces An Epic Water Shortage​

Through the years I've photographed the same areas many times. Each time there is less and less water.

Too funny. Just last year I pointed out the dwindling supply of water from the Colorado River for Californians to devour and a Californian here mocked me saying water was no object there despite constant water orders there limiting supply and usage.
Who was that Californian?

maybe we should cut down half of the forests to offset co2 .
Rake them first.

Agriculture in California is the biggest water hog.
Just drove thru the Central Valley yesterday.....trump, Devin Nunes and "Recall Newsome" territory while still crying about water and needing more dams.
it takes water to grow the food you eat.

sadly Newsome, Feinstein, etc have totally mismanaged the water in Cali.
How so? Name one thing they've done to mismanage the water in California. (only a ignorant outsider calls it "Cali")

Colorado River is not in the CA watershed moron. The draining of Lake Mead has two causes--overpopulation/waste and irrigation of a desert. It has been a problem for at least 50 years.

Just drove thru the Central Valley yesterday.....trump, Devin Nunes and "Recall Newsome" territory while still crying about water and needing more dams.

How so? Name one thing they've done to mismanage the water in California. (only a ignorant outsider calls it "Cali")
irs going dry didnt you read the OP? did you just post about farmers complaining about lack of water? that’s number 2

Most of the food produced in CA comes from central CA--not the Colorado R. Outside of the Coachella valley, ag is pretty much non-existent in southern CA.

Colorado River is not in the CA watershed moron. The draining of Lake Mead has two causes--overpopulation/waste and irrigation of a desert. It has been a problem for at least 50 years.
climate runs in cycles and when the runs return the lakes can be filled up in as little as two years

I have to disagree. The majority of ag in CA is north of Bakersfield and has nothing to do with the Colorado R. Truth is the majority of Colorado R. water goes to AZ. The central valley of CA has some of the world's best water managers, but that water comes from the Sierra Nevada watershed.

climate runs in cycles and when the runs return the lakes can be filled up in as little as two years
Do you have any idea how much water is behind Hoover Dam? It would take decades to refill that lake with the drain of LV and the lower Colorado basin.

The Dems running Cali and NV did nothing to prepare for the water issue over the years as the populations of these states grew...they simply took their tax dollars and got rich...
Our current governor in Nevada is first the Democrat in over 20 years. There is nothing partisan about this issue.

Forum List

Back