CDZ Homeless Problem Part II

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Most of us agree that homelessness is, in large part, due to substance abuse and mental illness. One problem we face in addressing these issues is that these people can't be forced to participate in treatment programs unless they are an immediate danger to themselves or others.

Like it or not, the only way around this problem is to utilize the criminal justice system as a means for requiring participation in these programs, with the threat of incarceration for noncompliance.

If anyone has an alternative solution to this problem (which hasn't already been tried) please share it.

Send 'em to the Poor House.
gettyimages-73860360-2.jpg

Most of us agree that homelessness is, in large part, due to substance abuse and mental illness. One problem we face in addressing these issues is that these people can't be forced to participate in treatment programs unless they are an immediate danger to themselves or others.

Like it or not, the only way around this problem is to utilize the criminal justice system as a means for requiring participation in these programs, with the threat of incarceration for noncompliance.

If anyone has an alternative solution to this problem (which hasn't already been tried) please share it.

Creation of a middle ground is out of the question?

What does the middle ground look like?

What I would envision is a eye roll inducing bit of government double-speak but what it boils down to is….

QUARRANTINE

I will point you to my earlier posts in Homeless I in the CDZ for background. Essentially it is this:
You take those who are arrested for B-Misdemeanors (Criminal Trespass, Public Lewdness, Public Intoxication, minor drug charges, Public Disturbances, Obstructing Public Highways (panhandlers) etc.….) who have no verifiable home address and give the CRIJ system the option of placing them in quarantine which is the “middle ground” between full scale incarceration which usually means one county paying for it and a reservation setting that is set up to take these types of prisoners from a number of counties—about 10-30 counties depending on populations.

Just an aside...Currently what happens quite often is that a person is arrested for Criminal Trespass or having a joint on them and 3 hours later is set free with a Personal Recognizance bond; an agreement to show up for their court date. Since the homeless have no calendar (much less concern)…they don’t show up and now have an FTA on their books. So when they have another arrest, the FTA hits and now there are two charges….which will get the PR bond again more than likely. Each “hit” to the system is a cost that we the taxpayers absorb.

So the thought I have is that we find a middle ground that is less expensive so I propose a reservation system.

The State sets it up; assigning counties to these regional reservations. They build it (spartan conditions to say the least) and have overall supervision. Each County provides the services… Some days Counties A, B and C will staff the health centers, mess hall, sanitation, and other facilities. Other days it’s Counties D, E, and F…etc…. Or one county can supply only Sanitation 7 days a week instead of sending nurses or human services folks. Security is provided by the State. There will be rules that are enforced but it will be mainly to keep the peace instead of punishment.

By and large, the homeless will be in their element. They will be free to roam the reservation, sleep under the park benches in the common areas or in their assigned shelters, urinate on trees, or whatever else there is going on in homeless encampments. The bonus for most of us is that they will be located in the remote (probably near State Prisons) where there is an abundance of land to start with in many cases.

Don’t get me wrong; the costs will be massive. Incarceration costs always are which is why the counties issue PR bonds like they are handing out candy on Halloween. One thing you will not have is the constant involvement of the DA’s office so there is some savings to be enjoyed. The costs you do incur are shared with a number of other counties thus relieving the cost burden, freeing up cells for actual criminals (not those who are merely exhibiting criminal behavior) and, getting the homeless away from the general population (no pun intended) where they are panhandling, exposing themselves, shitting on the sidewalk, spreading disease, and…being honest here…contributing to urban blight. The homeless are able to avail themselves of health resources, a safer environment, and perhaps learn to live in a community setting. But most will learn to game the system the way they game the system now.

What I would envision is a eye roll inducing bit of government double-speak but what it boils down to is….

QUARRANTINE

I will point you to my earlier posts in Homeless I in the CDZ for background. Essentially it is this:
You take those who are arrested for B-Misdemeanors (Criminal Trespass, Public Lewdness, Public Intoxication, minor drug charges, Public Disturbances, Obstructing Public Highways (panhandlers) etc.….) who have no verifiable home address and give the CRIJ system the option of placing them in quarantine which is the “middle ground” between full scale incarceration which usually means one county paying for it and a reservation setting that is set up to take these types of prisoners from a number of counties—about 10-30 counties depending on populations.

Just an aside...Currently what happens quite often is that a person is arrested for Criminal Trespass or having a joint on them and 3 hours later is set free with a Personal Recognizance bond; an agreement to show up for their court date. Since the homeless have no calendar (much less concern)…they don’t show up and now have an FTA on their books. So when they have another arrest, the FTA hits and now there are two charges….which will get the PR bond again more than likely. Each “hit” to the system is a cost that we the taxpayers absorb.

So the thought I have is that we find a middle ground that is less expensive so I propose a reservation system.

The State sets it up; assigning counties to these regional reservations. They build it (spartan conditions to say the least) and have overall supervision. Each County provides the services… Some days Counties A, B and C will staff the health centers, mess hall, sanitation, and other facilities. Other days it’s Counties D, E, and F…etc…. Or one county can supply only Sanitation 7 days a week instead of sending nurses or human services folks. Security is provided by the State. There will be rules that are enforced but it will be mainly to keep the peace instead of punishment.

By and large, the homeless will be in their element. They will be free to roam the reservation, sleep under the park benches in the common areas or in their assigned shelters, urinate on trees, or whatever else there is going on in homeless encampments. The bonus for most of us is that they will be located in the remote (probably near State Prisons) where there is an abundance of land to start with in many cases.

Don’t get me wrong; the costs will be massive. Incarceration costs always are which is why the counties issue PR bonds like they are handing out candy on Halloween. One thing you will not have is the constant involvement of the DA’s office so there is some savings to be enjoyed. The costs you do incur are shared with a number of other counties thus relieving the cost burden, freeing up cells for actual criminals (not those who are merely exhibiting criminal behavior) and, getting the homeless away from the general population (no pun intended) where they are panhandling, exposing themselves, shitting on the sidewalk, spreading disease, and…being honest here…contributing to urban blight. The homeless are able to avail themselves of health resources, a safer environment, and perhaps learn to live in a community setting. But most will learn to game the system the way they game the system now.

You come from a good place with this, but you have to remember that these folks, the majority of them are perfectly fine living how they do. A good many folks who are homeless have heavy criminal records. Getting work is pretty hard for folks in that boat. So the middle ground may get the pan handlers off the corners, but in the end it’s just another facility put up for warehousing people. The mental health aspect needs to be addressed in a big way to. I’ll relate a small story. Years ago, like 97-98 I applied for food stamps in Colorado. As a requirement of receiving food stamps I had to attend training on job hunting. It was awesome. I learned lots of great stuff and because I was a veteran I discovered a bunch of other resources that I was able to use to sell my self as a better employee. These people need to be shown they are worth something and can contribute again and not just “put up”. Not being a grump just saying.

QUARRANTINE

Did you see my post on Poor Houses? They were eliminated for a reason. What about a different approach? The Industrial Revolution and Poor Houses walked hand in hand. But as it turns out, they are not more economical and they are an abuse of humans' right to dignity regardless of their financial worth. We need to take a really long look at mental health in this country, and that of course will include drug addiction. Ignoring the problem and bellowing out simplistic answers to punish the poor and the mentally ill is not going to work.

Most homeless are living in cars, or with relatives, and they have jobs that don't pay squat..They're 'invisible', while the street crazies aren't, hence the incorrect assumptions they're all dopeheads, mental cases, and drunks. When one can't even define the issue correctly, no point in then implementing 'solutions' that don't apply.

QUARRANTINE

Did you see my post on Poor Houses? They were eliminated for a reason. What about a different approach? The Industrial Revolution and Poor Houses walked hand in hand. But as it turns out, they are not more economical and they are an abuse of humans' right to dignity regardless of their financial worth. We need to take a really long look at mental health in this country, and that of course will include drug addiction. Ignoring the problem and bellowing out simplistic answers to punish the poor and the mentally ill is not going to work.

Mental health, the stigma attached to ex-convicts and so on.

Most homeless are living in cars, or with relatives, and they have jobs that don't pay squat

People who are living with relatives are not homeless, and most homeless do not have regular jobs. Let's focus on the actual problem instead of distractions.

The capitalist system manufactures homelessness, as in a production line, as part of its axiomatic. Deterritorialization-reterritorialization is why capitalism has an intimate relationship to the schizophrenic process.

QUARRANTINE

A multi-generational approach to any issue is out of the question. A multi-presidency approach is almost out of the question. So mine is a post of pragmatism.

I would posit that the reason this is being brought up isn't that there is a groundswell of concern for the homeless and mentally incompetent. It's more about getting ugliness out of our line of sight. At least that is my goal. It starts with the individual wanting help. That isn't going to happen in most cases. Counseling, drug therapy, accountability coaches, etc... Sure try it. If the offenders benefit...outstanding. But I think if you were to tell most of the homeless; "We're going to ship you to this reservation to serve a 6 month sentence for Criminal Trespassing", they would probably shrug the first time. Over time, I think that most of the homeless will just accept it as part of their lives.

The big question becomes what happens when incarceration is done.

Currently it's a revolving door. Perhaps this will slow the revolution down a bit.

QUARRANTINE

You come from a good place with this, but you have to remember that these folks, the majority of them are perfectly fine living how they do. A good many folks who are homeless have heavy criminal records. Getting work is pretty hard for folks in that boat. So the middle ground may get the pan handlers off the corners, but in the end it’s just another facility put up for warehousing people. The mental health aspect needs to be addressed in a big way to. I’ll relate a small story. Years ago, like 97-98 I applied for food stamps in Colorado. As a requirement of receiving food stamps I had to attend training on job hunting. It was awesome. I learned lots of great stuff and because I was a veteran I discovered a bunch of other resources that I was able to use to sell my self as a better employee. These people need to be shown they are worth something and can contribute again and not just “put up”. Not being a grump just saying.

Sure...have that availability as well. When I was working in public health; whenever we did an "outreach" where we had nurses immunizing kids for the upcoming school year; the WIC projects would set up a table near where our shooters were. MHMRA (Mental Health, Metal Retardation) was there as well. I only really worked the outreaches as the health authority and not the liaison but I would hope that the LO reached out to folks like the VA, navigators, etc...

There is no reason that we can't address MH at these reservations.

But, you're right, at the end of the day....the primary goal is to get them off of our streets.

I is different in each state. Fla, Police officer can haul you off to the Nut house if you show certain behavior. The can keep you longer, but don't know what the Doctors work use to determine that.

One homeless shelter man have froze to death in Wisconsin trying to save their dwindling amount of allotted nights (Madison), 30 feet from the shelter door in some bushes. The same shelter was stigmatized as an eyesore in the newspapers by capitalist executives coming from their hotels on thier way to the convention center and having to walk past the line of waiting homeless. Indeed, the flip-side of fascism is eye pain.

Indiana for example: the people who witness the arrest of a tresspasser-scapegoat of state-sponsored fascism mostly reacted with pure, salient contempt for the cop or state agent. They correctly reacted to this movement of extreme violence, and if it were a regular occurrence, there would likely at least be property destroyed, the very capitalist thing the cop is paid to protect.

Forum List

Back