Hollywood, Stop Making Violent Movies

Canada averages 1 less murder per 100,000 than we do

homicides-per-100000-by-method-us-canada-demographic-similar-2006-all.png

Give it another 10 years and at the rate we're going, they will have a higher murder rate.

I notice we've suddenly injected strangulations, burnings, stabbings poisonings and being hit over the head with the kitchen sink. That's a moved goalpost from gun violence, don't you think?
Again, apples-to-apples doesn't include moving the goalposts. By the way, got a source for this chart?

Within the gun question though, I'm not sure whether you're saying Canada's getting worse or that we're getting better, but I'm not convinced of either. I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

Again

Gun violence is a manipulation of the stats in an attempt to make gun control seem like a legitimate answer

A person is not "less dead" if someone stabs them to death, vs someone shooting them to death. So why would you focus on guns and no murder as a whole?

So why all the gun graphs?

I notice we've suddenly injected strangulations, burnings, stabbings poisonings and being hit over the head with the kitchen sink. That's a moved goalpost from gun violence, don't you think?
Again, apples-to-apples doesn't include moving the goalposts. By the way, got a source for this chart?

Within the gun question though, I'm not sure whether you're saying Canada's getting worse or that we're getting better, but I'm not convinced of either. I'll take that bet in a heartbeat.

Again

Gun violence is a manipulation of the stats in an attempt to make gun control seem like a legitimate answer

A person is not "less dead" if someone stabs them to death, vs someone shooting them to death. So why would you focus on guns and no murder as a whole?

So why all the gun graphs?

:confused:

Wut?

Canada averages 1 less murder per 100,000 than we do

homicides-per-100000-by-method-us-canada-demographic-similar-2006-all.png

Give it another 10 years and at the rate we're going, they will have a higher murder rate.

Again

Whoa babe. I never said a word about "gun control", neither her nor anywhere else. You're projecting some conclusion that I'm not. Whatever you're assuming here, it's wrong.

We focus on guns rather than murder because the topic is not murder; it's our values of violence. Murders and suicides may be done without violence. You're still trying to move goalposts here; I don't get why.

Similarly we don't discount gun woundings that do not end in loss of life, but it still counts as gun violence.

We're talking about having a violent culture, within and without the entertainment media. Not a "murderous" culture.

(edit - just noticed that your last chart not only singles out USians "most demographically similar to Canadians" but that it also eliminates the black and Hispanic population in the US (only).
Stacking the deck pretty hard to reach a desired conclusion, don't you think?)

Last edited:
I don't think we can ban violence in movies but we need to relook our ratings system

A nipple gets you an R
While blowing shit up and shooting into a crowd is PG-13

Excellent point and I agree. BTW, what rating would your nipple get? GACK!

You're using gun stats to suggest America is violent. Yet everything I've posted shows that violence as a whole has been in, and continues to, decline since the late 80's.

Come on, you're smarter than this.

"Less" is not the same as "not". If my house is flooded with eight feet of water, and the water recedes to six feet, am I not still flooded?

I'm a bit tired of hearing the left whining about gun violence and then discovering that yet another violent movie has been released like "Gangster Squad" and "Django" or "Chainsaw Massacre".

There is plenty of other subject matter out there you can make movies about other than gun violence or mass-murder. Change starts from within Hollywood.

One of the reasons America is such a violent society is because Hollywood spends so much time glorying gun-wielding assholes. Maybe being a good upstanding member of a society should be stressed a bit more in movies.

I hate Hollywood left leaning idiots like you. Look, violent movies are not the damn issue here Mr. Obama lover. :cool:

You're using gun stats to suggest America is violent. Yet everything I've posted shows that violence as a whole has been in, and continues to, decline since the late 80's.

"Less" is not the same as "not". If my house is flooded with eight feet of water, and the water recedes to six feet, am I not still flooded?

Ok, so how do our larceny, burglary and sexual assault numbers compare with Canada?

I'm a bit tired of hearing the left whining about gun violence and then discovering that yet another violent movie has been released like "Gangster Squad" and "Django" or "Chainsaw Massacre".

There is plenty of other subject matter out there you can make movies about other than gun violence or mass-murder. Change starts from within Hollywood.

One of the reasons America is such a violent society is because Hollywood spends so much time glorying gun-wielding assholes. Maybe being a good upstanding member of a society should be stressed a bit more in movies.

I hate Hollywood left leaning idiots like you. Look, violent movies are not the damn issue here Mr. Obama lover. :cool:

Dude, you must be joking.....lol.

85% of child murders worldwide are happening right here in good.ol.merica. anyone know the percentage of women who are killed by someone they know?

Most of the crap that Hollywood awards hardly anyone wants to see. The good movies that people would pay to see aren't considered as highly regarded as the "art" Hollywood loves. So many times good movies are few and far between.

Oscar Nominations 2013: Full List - ABC News

You haven't a clue about Hollywood or what people want to see.
There are more non-violent movies made in Hollywood than violent.
And I've watched hundreds of violent movies - as have many of my friends - yet none of us have ever been in trouble with the police or assaulted anyone.
People who commit violent acts are responsible for those acts. Nobody else.

Dude, you must be joking.....lol.
please stop sending me all those Hillary 2016 stickers! :cool:

Ok, so how do our larceny, burglary and sexual assault numbers compare with Canada?

Maybe you should compare the United States with a country that's not an ice-cube 8 months out of the year and has a comparable population density.

Don't know. I'm still picking your last chart apart :D but again the topic is violence; larceny and burglary by themselves are not part of that. Still looking for a link to where that chart came from btw... :confused:

Maybe you should compare the United States with a country that's not an ice-cube 8 months out of the year and has a comparable population density.

No, all you have to do is compare per 100,000 of population....

And I've watched hundreds of violent movies - as have many of my friends - yet none of us have ever been in trouble with the police or assaulted anyone.
People who commit violent acts are responsible for those acts. Nobody else.

Could it not be that the same stimulus affects different people in different ways?

Just sayin'. Because what you have here is a fallacy of inductive generalization.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back