Historically, no Antarctic ice shelf when CO2 is above 400 ppm

So when studies found that drinking out of the same water fountain as blacks gave you cooties, you were on board with that too?

Do you actually think that's a valid or meaningful argument? This is the sort of thing that makes me say you're stupid. Think a little harder before you post.

It is if you are studying the Earth's dynamics which go back 100X farther!

Really? You think physics changed somewhere back there? And, since we're talking about what is going to happen within the next century or so, even if there was a difference, the more recent observations would have more applicability. You are quite obviously reaching for some sort of comeback when you haven't got shit.

Do you actually think that's a valid or meaningful argument? This is the sort of thing that makes me say you're stupid. Think a little harder before you post. Really? You think physics changed somewhere back there? And, since we're talking about what is going to happen within the next century or so, even if there was a difference, the more recent observations would have more applicability. You are quite obviously reaching for some sort of comeback when you haven't got shit.

I don't think either you or me have the faintest fuck of an idea what you might mean by "normal times"

I don't know why your side of this argument has such a problem with this BUT:

Rising temperatures will cause CO2 to rise because increasing ocean temperatures reduce the amount of gas that can be dissolved there. CO2 comes out of solution and increases atmospheric levels.
Increasing levels of CO2 increase the amount of IR radiation trapped in the Earth's atmosphere and increase the planet's temperatures.

You folks seem to believe that both these things cannot be true. That is a mistake. They are both true and both are exceedingly well established by over a century of hard science.

Finally, temperatures ARE going up and the correlation with CO2 is just as robust as it has been through all of available history.

Normal times would be without man made interference.

1664321069775.png

This chart shows that temperature rise and CO2 rises and then it falls. The Earth gets hotter and hotter and then suddenly both drop. Why?

Think about CO2. It blocks heat. This can work both ways.

"A recent NASA report throws the space agency into conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth’s atmosphere."

"Infrared radiation from CO2 and NO, the two most efficient coolants in the thermosphere, re-radiated 95% of that total back into space."

It was more like 125,000 years ago but sea levels rose of course. Is what natural?

Yes, I use 100,000 years because it's called the 100,000 year cycle, but it's never actually 100,000 years. It varies.

Is it natural that temperatures rose, that CO2 rose, and that temperatures then dropped and CO2 dropped?

Cherry-picking the scientists who say what you want them to say ... typical OP material ... without considering the enormous amount of energy required to melt the ice ... there's a fools ride for just an E ticket ...

The title of this thread is a lie ... the history of Antarctica begins on January 27th, 1820 ... the link is to a poet ...

What a waste of time ... burning coal just to be heard ...

What happened 100,000 years ago when the last peak of temperatures happened? Is this natural or not?
Two events can have different causes
People died before Guns (or COVID) came along, but.. DOH!

This chart shows that temperature rise and CO2 rises and then it falls. The Earth gets hotter and hotter and then suddenly both drop. Why? Think about CO2. It blocks heat. This can work both ways.

"OMSJ" is a Conspiracy website Clown, NOT science. Look at the front page.
NASA is a foremost Proponent of AGW.

'How Do We Know Climate Change Is Real?'​

There is Unequivocal evidence that Earth is Warming at an Unprecedented rate. Human activity is the Principal cause.

"CO2 Blocks heat"" !!!
First, you are reading your own chart wrong you IDIOT.

Second, in natural cycles CO2 does LAG warming but still Contributes to it.
Normally/naturally warming is caused by the tilt of earth axis and more solar radiation in.
But scientists have measured that is NOT the cause this time.
THIS TIME ALONE however it's the Giant dumping of CO2 and OTHER GHGs (like Methane, etc) that caused sand LED the warming by trapping the reflection of radiation back out.
THAT'S HOW WE KNOW.

And Congrats!
You deserve a Nobel Prize and new entry in the dictionary for "Greenhouse Gas!
What do you suppose that means you WACK JOB? Cooling?
You F****** Fruitcake.

`

Last edited:
An examination of the temperature and CO2 record back to 45 million years indicates that CO2 levels above 400 ppm will not allow the continued existence of the Antarctic ice shelves. The loss of those shelves, even without a catastrophic collapse of the WAIS, will facilitate an enormous movement of land-based glacial ice into the seas raising global sea level by tens of feet.
CO2 has never been below 4oo ppm until quite recently, dumbass. On the other hand, we have had massive glaciation with CO2 levels many times 400 ppm

Two events can have different causes
People died before Guns (or COVID) came along, but.. DOH!

"OMSJ" is a Conspiracy website Clown, NOT science. Look at the front page.
NASA is a foremost Proponent of AGW.

'How Do We Know Climate Change Is Real?'​

There is Unequivocal evidence that Earth is Warming at an Unprecedented rate. Human activity is the Principal cause.

"CO2 Blocks heat"" !!!
First, you are reading your own chart wrong you IDIOT.

Second, in natural cycles CO2 does LAG warming but still Contributes to it.
Normally/naturally warming is caused by the tilt of earth axis and more solar radiation in.
But scientists have measured that is NOT the cause this time.
THIS TIME ALONE however it's the Giant dumping of CO2 and OTHER GHGs (like Methane, etc) that caused sand LED the warming by trapping the reflection of radiation back out.
THAT'S HOW WE KNOW.

And Congrats!
You deserve a Nobel Prize and new entry in the dictionary for "Greenhouse Gas!
What do you suppose that means you WACK JOB? Cooling?
You F****** Fruitcake.

`
There is Unequivocal evidence that Earth is Warming at an Unprecedented rate.

Unprecedented in recorded history? Human history? Earth's history? LOL!

Still feeling sandy?

CO2 has never been below 4oo ppm until quite recently, dumbass. On the other hand, we have had massive glaciation with CO2 levels many times 400 ppm

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "recently". Looks to me like about 8 million years.

1664380865012.png

Normal times would be without man made interference.

View attachment 702367

This chart shows that temperature rise and CO2 rises and then it falls. The Earth gets hotter and hotter and then suddenly both drop. Why?

Milancovic Cycles. It can also drop precipitously due to reflective sulfate aerosols from super volcanoes, but that doesn't last long.

Think about CO2. It blocks heat. This can work both ways.

"A recent NASA report throws the space agency into conflict with its climatologists after new NASA measurements prove that carbon dioxide acts as a coolant in Earth’s atmosphere."

"Infrared radiation from CO2 and NO, the two most efficient coolants in the thermosphere, re-radiated 95% of that total back into space."

You think these articles tell us that CO2 is cooling the Earth? I'm afraid you've misunderstood. In the linked article it is discussed how the Earth is heated by the impact of electrons and protons (ie, matter) in a plasma created by a coronal mass ejection from our Sun. That impact heats all components of the uppermost layers of the atmosphere and like anything else, when heated, it's IR radiation increases. Some of that IR will be absorbed by CO2 and NO in the atmosphere and will then reradiate from that material. Other components of the atmosphere do not absorb IR and there is essentially zero water vapor (a potent GHG) present in the stratosphere. The article is ONLY discussing the elimination of the additional heating created by the impact of the CME material.

The Earth, in "normal times" maintains a balance of incoming and outgoing energies and thus a stable temperature. The incoming energy is predominantly in the visible spectrum. The outgoing is a mix of reflected visible light (the lovely blues and greens and fluffy white clouds of planet Earth seen in photographs from space) and invisible infrared radiation. Very close to 100% of the infrared radiation given off by the surface (land and sea) and atmosphere of the planet is absorbed by greenhouse gases (GHGs) in the atmosphere - primarily CO2 and water vapor. That then gets reradiated and reabsorbed in a sort of cascade that, eventually, radiates it away to space. When the amount of CO2 or any other GHG in the atmosphere is increased, the number of steps a unit of IR energy has to take to finally escape to space increases and the opportunity for that energy to be tranferred via simple conduction to other, non-GHG components of the atmosphere or to the surface of the Earth increase. The Earth's temperature is thus raised. CO2 in the atmosphere raises the equilibrium temperature of the planet. It most assuredly does NOT cool us.

PS: The Office of Medical and Scientific Justice is not a reliable source of scientific knowledge. Use the link they provide and read the NASA article directly. Here is a copy of their link: Solar Storm Dumps Gigawatts into Earth's Upper Atmosphere | Science Mission Directorate

Last edited:
Milancovic Cycles. It can also drop precipitously due to reflective sulfate aerosols from super volcanoes, but that doesn't last long.

You think these articles tell us that CO2 is cooling the Earth? I'm afraid you've misunderstood. In the linked article it is discussed how the Earth is heated by the impact of electrons and protons (ie, matter) in a plasma created by a coronal mass ejection from our Sun. That impact heats all components of the uppermost layers of the atmosphere and like anything else, when heated, it's IR radiation increases. Some of that IR will be absorbed by CO2 and NO in the atmosphere and will then reradiate from that material. Other components of the atmosphere do not absorb IR and there is essentially zero water vapor (a potent GHG) present in the stratosphere. The article is ONLY discussing the elimination of the additional heating created by the impact of the CME material.

The Earth, in "normal times" maintains a balance of incoming and outgoing energies and thus a stable temperature. The incoming energy is predominantly in the visible spectrum. The outgoing is a mix of reflected visible light (the lovely blues and greens and fluffy white clouds of planet Earth seen in photographs from space) and invisible infrared radiation. Very close to 100% of the infrared radiation given off by the surface (land and sea) and atmosphere of the planet is absorbed by greenhouse gases (GHGs) in the atmosphere - primarily CO2 and water vapor. That then gets reradiated and reabsorbed in a sort of cascade that, eventually, radiates it away to space. When the amount of CO2 or any other GHG in the atmosphere is increased, the number of steps a unit of IR energy has to take to finally escape to space increases and the opportunity for that energy to be tranferred via simple conduction to other, non-GHG components of the atmosphere or to the surface of the Earth increase. The Earth's temperature is thus raised. CO2 in the atmosphere raises the equilibrium temperature of the planet. It most assuredly does NOT cool us.
Where?

PS: The Office of Medical and Scientific Justice is not a reliable source of scientific knowledge. Use the link they provide and read the NASA article directly. Here is a copy of their link: Solar Storm Dumps Gigawatts into Earth's Upper Atmosphere | Science Mission Directorate

The point I'm making is that CO2 levels rise, and temperatures rise. Then at some point temperatures drop off significantly. Why?

I will add this to the rather lengthy list I have accumulated of AGW deniers making death wishes or encouraging me and others to commit suicide. In the eight years I have been on this forum, I have never seen a similar suggestion from anyone on my side of this argument. This, of course, only reinforces my belief that I am in the right on this question and that, almost to a man, those who oppose me, do so because they are intellectually and often otherwise flawed.
You are the one asking the rest of us to commit suicide by taking our rights to affordable energy to keep us warm, during the next freezing winter. Why is it you are taking away a woman's right to choose the type of energy she wishes to use? Do you hate women?

How do you know their credentials?

Crick , Where'd you go slim? You asked I provided and you ran like the coward you are. BTW, I attempted to look up your so called climate scientists and the first one I looked up wasn't in the internet as one.

Guðfinna Aðalgeirsdóttir Geophysics. I'm fairly confident I asked for climate scientists.

The point I'm making is that CO2 levels rise, and temperatures rise. Then at some point temperatures drop off significantly. Why?
I may have been misspelling this but Milankovitch Cycles - combinations of several periodic orbital functions that act to reduce insolation and thus the temperature of the Earth. Below is a good article explaining them. If you have some other thought as to the cause I'd love to hear about it.

Milankovitch (Orbital) Cycles and Their Role in Earth's Climate – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

I may have been misspelling this but Milankovitch Cycles - combinations of several periodic orbital functions that act to reduce insolation and thus the temperature of the Earth. Below is a good article explaining them. If you have some other thought as to the cause I'd love to hear about it.

Milankovitch (Orbital) Cycles and Their Role in Earth's Climate – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

The issue here is about CO2. If rising CO2 causes temperatures to rise, and rising temperatures lead to more CO2, we should never see this drop off?

Also, if we're seeing rising CO2 levels, why haven't temperatures risen?

My view is that we simply don't understand the impact of CO2 in the atmosphere.

We have people coming out and saying "oh, CO2 is bad", and it might be, or it might not be. We don't know.

They will make up a very tiny percentage of those affected. Is it worth it to you? And, since your ignorance never seems to know any bounds, the immigrants Desantis flew to Martha's Vineyard are registered asylum seekers fleeing a dictatorial communist regime and are as legal as legal can be. From my point of view, the objection that you and Ron Desantis had to those people was that they had brown skin.
They are registered as asylum SEEKERS. Until their actual status is decided by a court, their presence in the USA is not legal. They are in a sort of legal limbo due to their own actions. The proper course would have been for them to apply and have their status adjudicated before they were allowed to enter the country. The USA often invites asylum seekers, in which case their status is never in doubt. In this case they are forcing themselves upon us in violation of both United States and international laws.
Under international law, the proper countries for the citizens of Nicaragua to seek asylum from would be Honduras or Costa Rica. For those from Venezuela, the proper countries would be Guyana, Brazil or Columbia. The only people who can legally demand asylum from the USA are the citizens of Canada or Mexico.

They are registered as asylum SEEKERS. Until their actual status is decided by a court, their presence in the USA is not legal. They are in a sort of legal limbo due to their own actions. The proper course would have been for them to apply and have their status adjudicated before they were allowed to enter the country. The USA often invites asylum seekers, in which case their status is never in doubt. In this case they are forcing themselves upon us in violation of both United States and international laws.
Under international law, the proper countries for the citizens of Nicaragua to seek asylum from would be Honduras or Costa Rica. For those from Venezuela, the proper countries would be Guyana, Brazil or Columbia. The only people who can legally demand asylum from the USA are the citizens of Canada or Mexico.
If they are already in the USA, then they have broken the law and they should be deported.

Forum List

Back