Historical equivalents for current presidential candidates.

Which republican candidate has the best chance of defeating Hillary?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Ted Cruz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marco Rubio

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Jeb Bush

• Chris Christie

• Total voters

kstewa8

Rookie
Jan 29, 2016
Please remember I am a mere political hobbyist... not a professional in any way, so here goes. It seems to me that the best historical equivalent to Bernie Sanders is George McGovern, the South Dakota senator who was the 1972 democratic candidate for president. In a nutshell, he won the candidacy as the more liberal and progressive candidate, over the more centrist former Vice President under LBJ, Hubert Humphrey. So basically the hippies finally got their candidate!...of course McGovern went on to be crushed in the general election by the "silent majority," Richard Nixon received almost 61% of the vote. McGovern only won Massachusetts and the district. Anyway, is this a fair comparison? Also, to whom in history can we compare the Donald? Ross Perot...maybe George Wallace? Thanks in advance for any feedback and corrections of my ignorance!

Your poll has nothing to do with your title.

I was expecting a poll like "which historical figure does Donald Rump most resemble" to which I would have checked "Mussolini".

But the poll has nothing to do with that question.

:dunno:

As far as the actual question IN the poll as it stands, it's waaaaaay too early to be asking that. Many many many things can and will change before that time comes.

Please remember I am a mere political hobbyist... not a professional in any way, so here goes. It seems to me that the best historical equivalent to Bernie Sanders is George McGovern, the South Dakota senator who was the 1972 democratic candidate for president. In a nutshell, he won the candidacy as the more liberal and progressive candidate, over the more centrist former Vice President under LBJ, Hubert Humphrey. So basically the hippies finally got their candidate!...of course McGovern went on to be crushed in the general election by the "silent majority," Richard Nixon received almost 61% of the vote. McGovern only won Massachusetts and the district. Anyway, is this a fair comparison? Also, to whom in history can we compare the Donald? Ross Perot...maybe George Wallace? Thanks in advance for any feedback and corrections of my ignorance!

that's probably true....which is why I wouldn't recommend voting for him.

I was expecting a poll like "which historical figure does Donald Rump most resemble" to which I would have checked "Mussolini".

As far as the actual question IN the poll as it stands, it's waaaaaay too early to be asking that. Many many many things can and will change before that time comes.

Sorry, I am new to this site and that was my first post. In the future I will endeavor to be more conscientious. I did not even know that there was a polling option when I was writing the post. When I saw it, I just put in the first question that came to me. :/

Sorry, I am new to this site and that was my first post. In the future I will endeavor to be more conscientious. I did not even know that there was a polling option when I was writing the post. When I saw it, I just put in the first question that came to me. :/

Yes -- a poll is not required to start a thread. Just an option you can use when that's your objective.

Welcome to USMB. Usually the first post is suggested to be an introduction. Over here.

You're eager to get started, and that's great. :thup: The more energy the better.

Left click to highlight the text you want to reply to. After highlight hover over and reply to text.

don't worry about it. Dive in an reply or post new topics if you want. Thanks.

Rubio maybe be gathering steam too late. Anything is possible. Still 10 months to go.
Santorum could never seem to catch Romney - but, we'll see.....

I would expect Bernie to get his butt kicked but still do a little bit better then George. But I really haven't paid any attention to the guy to make any sort of historical comparison and my only basis for Bernie's slightly better showing is that he won't be going up against an incumbent.

I would expect Bernie to get his butt kicked but still do a little bit better then George. But I really haven't paid any attention to the guy to make any sort of historical comparison and my only basis for Bernie's slightly better showing is that he won't be going up against an incumbent.

"George"?

George who?

"George"?

George who?

Oh, that was in reply to the OP comparison between Bernie Sanders and George McGovern which I thought the thread was about.

"George"?

George who?

Oh, that was in reply to the OP comparison between Bernie Sanders and George McGovern which I thought the thread was about.

Oh that. Well that OP was kind of aimless but the comparison is absurd anyway; 1972 and 2016 are completely different planets.

I took the title's "historical equivalents" to mean in terms of personality. Drawing political dynamic comparisons between different times is kinda hard to do.

Could Reagan be considered an anti-establishment candidate?

Welcome to the board! I welcome your thoughts on all of the candidates and the the mood of the nation.

Would that mean Cruz is Hitler, since he was born in another country with a shared language?

Would that mean Cruz is Hitler, since he was born in another country with a shared language?

Glover Cleveland, William McKinley and Hover
Of course, Cleveland and Hover both had massive fucking depressions caused by their deregulation.

Forum List

Back