Nate Silver write-up on a possible Trump 3rd party run in 2016

What is the possibility that Trump goes 3rd party if not nominated by the GOP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Trump Would Lose Badly In A Third-Party Bid But He Could Take The Republican Down Too FiveThirtyEight

A lot of what Nate says is just plain old common sense, but he does give this some historical context.

It's a good read, overall.

Nate does one thing, however, that is bothersome. In comparing a third party candidates initial polling value to his actual performance, he only relies on Gallup's polling data. Well, after Gallup's horrible track record from both 2010 and 2012, I can't recommend that. I recommend much more the aggregate approach in measuring the strength of candidates in polling.

However, his point stands, namely, that of the FIVE third-party candidacies since and including 1948, excepting Wallace in 1968, each third party candidate did worse in the actual results than in his first polling values, at least from Gallup. He also puts out a chart about that. So, if Trump is at 20%, he could land at maybe 11% come election time, were a three-way race to develop.

In all of this is one more data-point that Nate didn't speak about, one that pointed to the historical electoral volatility of much of the deep South. So, I'm gonna bring it up:

In 1948, States-Rights nominee Strom Thurmond only got 2.41% of the NPV (Silver lists it at 2%), but he racked up 39 electoral votes, from: South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi and Lousiana. That's pretty good bang for his buck, I would say. But Thurmond wasn't on the ballot in most states. He was truly a regional phenomonen. And BTW, there was a FOURTH party candidate that year, Henry Wallace (Progressive Party), who got 2.37% of the NPV and absolutely no electors. He was on the ballot mostly in the big sky states. Without going to the 100th of a percentage point, officially, both candidates were at 2.4% that year.

Fast forward 20 years, to 1968. American Independent Party nominee George Wallace was the third party candidate on the ballot, he got 13.53% of the NPV (which Nate Silver erroneously rounds down to 13%), but he too only won states in the Deep South, then worth 46 EV: Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. He got less bang for his buck in spite of 7 electors more than Thurmond, because was on the ballot in considerably more states: every state except Maine and Hawaii, also DC. Wallace was also very close to Nixon in Tennessee, he almost took the state. Outside of the deep South, his best showing was in Maryland and in Nevada and generally, the farther north on the electoral map, the worse he did.

Fast forward 24 years, to 1992. Ross Perot (Reform Party) took 18.91% of the NPV and absolutely zero electoral votes. His two best showings were in Maine and Alaska and in both cases, he almost unseated the 2nd place candidate (Bush in Maine, Clinton in Alaska). But in spite of a boatload of money, he received no electoral votes.

All three of these men (Thurmond, Wallace and Perot) were third-party candidates from the South.

So, these kinds of figures tells us what a long, hard, climb a third party candidate has these days just to win some states in the Electoral college, much less piece together a national victory. The only time since 1856 that a party other than the Democrats or Republicans was in 2nd place was in 1912, with former Pres. Theodore Roosevelt, then as a "Bull-Moose" candidate. And he did so well that Republican incumbent Taft only won 2 states, worth all of 8 EV: Vermont and Utah.

So, Nate's postulation that Trump, as a third-party candidate, would lose badly, is correct. And considering the type of voters he is attracting, it is logical to assume that in a three-way race, he is going to take more of the GOP nominee's voters than Hillary's voters. However, considering the anger and volatility on the Right, I could see a possibility that Trump could actually move into 2nd place against Hillary, leaving the Republican nominee a distant third, ala 1912.

More info at the link. Enjoy.

FYI, the poll is good for 365 days, until 23 July 2016, AFTER the GOP convention... :D

Last edited:
If Trump goes 3rd party I will NOT support him.

That's some real 214 thinking. You think he's the best man for the job now....but if he decides that he's not going to cave to the GOP, you will suddenly think he's not the best man for the job.

Can you say blind partisan?

That's some real 214 thinking. You think he's the best man for the job now....but if he decides that he's not going to cave to the GOP, you will suddenly think he's not the best man for the job.

Baby huey is a blind partisan sycophant who doesn't understand that T-Rump is just a wealthy version of himself.

If T-Rump does opt to run as a 3rd party candidate it will guarantee a Dem win in 2016 irrespective whether the OP votes for him or not.

you support Hillary even after her THEFT and LYING. That's called what?

I'm sorry.....I haven't made my decision yet. You are making false assumptions in some lame attempt to make yourself feel better about how fucking stupid you just sounded. I get it.

I'm sorry.....I haven't made my decision yet. You are making false assumptions in some lame attempt to make yourself feel better about how fucking stupid you just sounded. I get it.
You are one long winded liar clown trash.

You are one long winded liar clown trash.

Please...point 214 to a single 214 lie that I 214 have ever posted on 214 these forums.

Thanks.

IMHO, he's not going to mount a 3rd party candidacy. It's too much work.

T-Rump has nothing to lose and if he imagines that he has been dissed by the GOP (imagine that ever happening :eek:) then he has the money to make a 3rd party run happen out of sheer spite if he feels like it.

What you are missing is that your bumping him up in the ratings is feeding his ego and convincing him that he should be the GOP nominee.

Right now the RNC has zero leverage on him so they can't shut him down which is why he is not ruling out a 3rd party run. He might be trying to wrangle a cabinet position out of it but (a) the only sycophant who will do that is Cruz, and (b) none of the other candidates would want him in their cabinets because he can't control his mouth.

They could try lying to him about a cabinet position and then make him the US ambassador to Somalia instead. ;)

But they really don't get to decide what the reverse mullet is going to do in the general.

Nate wrote another excellent article about Trump a few days ago.....

Donald Trump Is The World s Greatest Troll FiveThirtyEight

2016 4:26 PM Jul 20, 2015

Donald Trump Is The World’s Greatest Troll
By Nate Silver

“A troll,” according to one definition, “is a person who sows discord … by starting arguments or upsetting people … with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.”

The goal of the troll is to provoke a reaction by any means necessary. Trolls thrive in communities that are open and democratic (they wouldn’t be invited into a discussion otherwise) and which operate in presumed good faith (there need to be some standards of decorum to offend). Presidential nomination contests are highly susceptible to trolling, therefore. Access is fairly open: There’s no longer much of a filter between the campaigns, the media and the public. And it’s comically easy to provoke a reaction. How many times between now and next November will we hear that a candidate’s statement is “offensive,” whether or not it really is?

Trolls operate on the principle that negative attention is better than none. In fact, the troll may feed off the negative attention, claiming it makes him a victim and proves that everyone is out to get him.

Sound like any presidential candidates you know?

silver-feautre-trumptroll-1.png

IMHO, he's not going to mount a 3rd party candidacy. It's too much work.

T-Rump has nothing to lose and if he imagines that he has been dissed by the GOP (imagine that ever happening :eek:) then he has the money to make a 3rd party run happen out of sheer spite if he feels like it.

What you are missing is that your bumping him up in the ratings is feeding his ego and convincing him that he should be the GOP nominee.

Right now the RNC has zero leverage on him so they can't shut him down which is why he is not ruling out a 3rd party run. He might be trying to wrangle a cabinet position out of it but (a) the only sycophant who will do that is Cruz, and (b) none of the other candidates would want him in their cabinets because he can't control his mouth.

They could try lying to him about a cabinet position and then make him the US ambassador to Somalia instead. ;)

But they really don't get to decide what the reverse mullet is going to do in the general.
If Cruz made an offer to make him trade rep the election would be won by Cruz by a land slide.

I think Trump has managed to grab a huge amount of attention in a very short period of time.

His numbers are going to plateau or even decline at at some point. Why? Because he has high negatives with Republicans- they don't trust that he's serious. He needs to overcome that or he'll start fading......

I think Trump has managed to grab a huge amount of attention in a very short period of time.

His numbers are going to plateau or even decline at at some point. Why? Because he has high negatives with Republicans- they don't trust that he's serious. He needs to overcome that or he'll start fading......

I agree that he will reach a ceiling but as long as he keeps spouting off he will remain where he is.

He is only likely to decline if either he is exposed for some scandal or another candidate can pull away his supporters.

Who fits that bill?

Forum List

Back