Hispanics converting to Islam

jasonlee3071

Nov 29, 2019
According to this article in the Philadelphia Inquirer the fastest growing group of converts to the Islamic religion in the U.S. are the Hispanics.
It's not just this periodical or publication that has stated this. This phenomenon has also been reported by other publications like The Washington Post and the N.Y. Times.
There are videos on youtube that discuss this.
Here is an excerpt from this article:
In 2009, only 1 percent of Muslims identified as Hispanic, the institute said. By 2018, it was 7 percent, according to its annual report, “American Muslim Poll: Predicting and Preventing Islamophobia.” There are 250,000 Latino Muslims in the United States, according to Islam in Spanish.“That’s a 700 percent growth in less than 10 years, and no other group has grown at this rate,” Dalia Mogahed, the institute’s director of research, wrote in an email.
There are those of course who will find this disturbing as the Islamic religion is not viewed favorably in the U.S. for obvious reasons.
Also interestingly according to some sources, up to half of the Hispanic converts to Islam are women.

More Latinos are becoming Muslims: ‘Islam is not as foreign as you think’

Last edited:
According to this article in the Philadelphia Inquirer the fastest growing group of converts to the Islamic religion in the U.S. are the Hispanics.
It's not just this periodical or publication that has stated this. This phenomenon has also been reported by other publications like The Washington Post and the N.Y. Times.
There are videos on youtube that discuss this.
Here is an excerpt from this article:
In 2009, only 1 percent of Muslims identified as Hispanic, the institute said. By 2018, it was 7 percent, according to its annual report, “American Muslim Poll: Predicting and Preventing Islamophobia.” There are 250,000 Latino Muslims in the United States, according to Islam in Spanish.“That’s a 700 percent growth in less than 10 years, and no other group has grown at this rate,” Dalia Mogahed, the institute’s director of research, wrote in an email.
There are those of course who will find this disturbing as the Islamic religion is not viewed favorably in the U.S. for obvious reasons.
Also interestingly according to some sources, up to half of the Hispanic converts to Islam are women.

More Latinos are becoming Muslims: ‘Islam is not as foreign as you think’

Alla hu taco bar.

There are several hispanic mosques in various locations on the US side of the southern border.

Hispanic culture is very conservative, as is muslim culture, so converting to Islam is easy.

Also, many words in the spanish language have arabic roots, making the Islamic prayers used at the mosque seem familiar. .... :cool:

Last edited:
Religion provides structure for people who find life confusing and complex. It gives them answers whether they be a member of one of the dominant religions or any off shoot. It gives comfort that life wasn't an accident of a cold universe and provides goals and margins for behavior. Most people need something, it is why charlatans and other con-artists dominate certain areas of life. Personally I see Trump rallies as religious. It is a tribal get together in which followers blend and cheer and feel a part of something. They believe it differs little from religious sermons. But then tribes often lead to bad places when they think they have the answers. My question has always been, Why is your religious liberty a chain around the liberty and freedom of others.

What, if anything, makes an all-good god less absurd than an all-evil one? | Aeon Videos

Religion provides structure for people who find life confusing and complex. It gives them answers whether they be a member of one of the dominant religions or any off shoot. It gives comfort that life wasn't an accident of a cold universe and provides goals and margins for behavior. Most people need something, it is why charlatans and other con-artists dominate certain areas of life. Personally I see Trump rallies as religious. It is a tribal get together in which followers blend and cheer and feel a part of something. They believe it differs little from religious sermons. But then tribes often lead to bad places when they think they have the answers. My question has always been, Why is your religious liberty a chain around the liberty and freedom of others.

What, if anything, makes an all-good god less absurd than an all-evil one? | Aeon Videos

Because our religious liberty doesn't involve ripping babies out of the womb, and throwing them in garbage cans. Obviously some people need chains.

Last edited:
Personally I see Trump rallies as religious. It is a tribal get together in which followers blend and cheer and feel a part of something. They believe it differs little from religious sermons.
Your bringing Trump into the debate shows that you are a bonafide member of the anti-Trump religious cult, which gives people like you a sense of security and comfort in a complex political world. .. :cool:

Last edited:
I guess if you wanna die without a Savior, that's the way to go.
I'm no fan of the islamic religion. I abhor it. But clearly gathering from reading this article it's obvious Catholicism is failing to meet the spiritual needs of the Hispanics converting to islam. I abhor the catholic church too and there's nothing I would like to see better than it's decline and downfall.
And hopefully it will. As for the islamic religion I can only wish the same.

Forum List

Back