Should we send trash into outer space?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UsernameKyle

Aug 5, 2020
Hi guys,

I’m new here, and I have a question. It is regarding our excessive pollution of earth. If humanity can build rockets that send humans into outer space, why, instead are we not launching trash into outer space?

Admittedly, I haven’t researched it yet to see if it would be worth it, but what good is it doing here? Why can’t we solve this kind of problem?

Hi guys,

I’m new here, and I have a question. It is regarding our excessive pollution of earth. If humanity can build rockets that send humans into outer space, why, instead are we not launching trash into outer space?

Admittedly, I haven’t researched it yet to see if it would be worth it, but what good is it doing here? Why can’t we solve this kind of problem?
Welcome... but some advice... run before this cesspool sucks you in!!! I suppose if we can make space disposal cost effective then it’s the best place for waste. Better than landfills or bottom Of the ocean

Hi guys,

Welcome to the site, Kyle. Interesting question about trash. I'm not sure on this one. It seems like we would be polluting space and the cosmos by sending our trash out into it.

why, instead are we not launching trash into outer space?

It costs $3500 to send THIS into low-earth-orbit. It costs $12,000 to launch it out of the inner solar system.

124495.jpg

Hi guys,

Welcome to the site, Kyle. Interesting question about trash. I'm not sure on this one. It seems like we would be polluting space and the cosmos by sending our trash out into it.
I say bc space is uninhabitable. We should care for the ground under our feet. Not bury trash in it. Thanks for the response!

Hi guys,

I say bc space is uninhabitable. We should care for the ground under our feet. Not bury trash in it. Thanks for the response!
You're welcome. Good point about space being uninhabitable. I hadn't thought of that.

Hi guys,

Hi,

I'm not new.

It would cost way too much money to launch trash into space, or too dangerous for the "trash" that is actually harmful enough that we would want to. Can you imagine the harm to the whole damn planet if a rocket blew up in the atmosphere carrying radio active waste?

At $2,000 (Well, somewhere between 1-2k anyway ) per pound to get something into space... Not a great choice.

Edit: Oh sources... Cool.

Last edited:
I don't know if there is a serious trash/landfill problem or not. In any event, I think consumers should pay the price for all the stuff they buy.

Think if it this way.

Do we send garbage trucks up Mount Everest and use the top as a landfill?

If you can figure out why that's a bad idea, you can figure out why sending trash into space is an even worse idea.

Hi guys,

why, instead are we not launching trash into outer space?

That is an excellent idea!!!!

We'll have to fuel the rockets with clueless environmentalists.
How long will it take you get to Cape Canaveral?

I see. So since we have poisoned earth with our trash, lets just trash the moon for example..or floating around in space like what it does in our oceans. Pigs. We are pigs. If merchandise were packaged in disolvable packagings, we wouldnt have such a problem.

1597464273768.png

All good and well. Just launch our waste to outer space.
What happens when the rockets fail and the waste comes tumbling down back at Earth?

"One man gathers what another man spills" ...

The day will come when it will be profitable to mine these old landfills ... copper, aluminum, and silver are becoming more and more expensive ... that's not going to stop ... how many decades did we just toss old electric motors into the trash? ... old photographs ... old windows ... all of this stuff is still down there mixed in with rotting foods and plastics ...

Instead of finding new places to put our garbage ... maybe we should produce less of it ... why put a 5¢ item in 80¢ worth of packaging? ...

ETA: Welcome to the USMB ... may God have mercy on your soul ...

Forum List

Back