Here’s a sob story about a college%educated professional who can’t support his four kids without the enchanted government child support

Make em have them then let em starve..the American way

Let's fill some of the huge lacunae of yours: starvation has never been associated with America.....not even during the Depression.

.starvation has never....NEVER....been a problem in America.

According to my quick reading of the Life and death during the Great Depression by José A. Tapia Granadosa and Ana V. Diez Roux, the only noticeable increase of mortality was suicide, with a noticeable decline of mortality in every other category.

It's interesting that this paper was written in 2009, before the (shall we say) sensationalist Russian claim of 7 million deaths.

According also to Michael Mosley, life expectancy actually rose through the Great Depression. In his Horizon programme Eat, Fast and Live Longer he claims

From 1929 to 1933, in the darkest years of the great depression when people were eating far less, life expectancy increased by 6 years.

seeing as the US diet was far higher than starvation standards before the GD, even a serious reduction would have been unlikely to induce starvation level conditions in the majority of the population. And with enough food available overall, and the US always having had a very active local charity network, it's quite likely there would have been help for at least the majority of those who could not afford to feed themselves. In fact for quite a few people a somewhat leaner diet may well have contributed to the increased life expectancy. –

1622294515909.png

They include a table that shows trends in death rates per 100,000 population. Starvation does not appear on the list, nor does it rate a mention in the article. The researchers do acknowledge that malnutrition led to decreased health during the Depression, but not to increased mortality. Malnutrition was a widespread problem, starvation was not.

Importantly, this study shows that economic crisis does not guarantee a mortality crisis, but instead reinforces the notion that what crucially matters is how governments respond and whether protective social and public health policies are in place both during and in advance of economic shocks

Sources: David Stuckler, Christopher Meissner, Price Fishback, Sanjay Basu, Martin McKee. 2011. "Banking crises and mortality during the Great Depression: evidence from US urban populations, 1929-1937." Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. (link)

Price Fishback, Michael Haines, and Shawn Kantor. 2005. "Births, Deaths, and New Deal Relief During the Great Depression."

history.stackexchange.com

Would you like me to recommend some books?

Many of us took the option to succeed by limiting offspring..I would have loved a half dozen kids but opted to pour all my resources into one child..thus giving said child a leg up in life..no student debt etc

There is no excuse for not getting a job anymore, there sure are plenty of them out there. Sure it may not be his dream job but when times are tough it doesn't matter, you get the job anyway. And his wife doesn't want to work? Well tough shit, you get a job. There are plenty of opportunities for her to even have a remote job she can do from home. I mean there are single parents with multiple kids that still have a job, go ask most poor ass urban parents.

This sounds like a case of they can't have their sweet ideal life and they are upset about it. They don't want to do any real work or put any real effort into life. They want the easy route because they are soft and weak.

It's their fault they had so many kids, it's their fault they didn't build in a safety plan into their lives for this to happen and it's their fault they don't want to work.

Fuck em.

Really I have read your responses on your threads degrading anyone who disagrees with you typical cut and paste ..so gfy

"Really I have read your responses...."

Last post you claimed the very opposite.

All of my posts are linked, sourced and documented.

Hence....I'm never wrong.

But...you are right: I am rarely tolerant of ignorance.

You notice it didn’t say what his salary is? Software engineers, by which I assume means computer programmer, were hitting $100k by age 30. The family income is most likely in the six-figures, and if that isn’t enough for the four kids they spawned, the mother needs to get a job and contribute to the income rather than cry about how her welfare is being reduced.
Can we get something clear. The child tax credit is no more welfare than the electric car purchase tax credit. Or the clean energy tax credit, or the dozens of other tax credits that are available for individuals and businesses. For corporations there is the foreign tax credit, the investment credit, the work opportunity credit, alcohol fuels credit, research credit and on and on and on, are those corporations on welfare? Attempting to relate the child tax credit with welfare is disingenuous at best, and sheer ignorance at worse.

I don’t know the answer, but it doesn’t really matter. The article wouldn’t even disclose his salary because they knew readers would be irate when a six-figure professional with a stay-at-home wife is complaining they need to have more welfare to support the family while senior citizens are getting by on $40,000 a year, or less, and are the ones to pay the price.
I can promise you, any senior citizen getting by on less than forty thousand a year is taking far more from the government than they are paying in. Just the government funding of the Medicare part B premium is going to easily exceed any taxes they pay. In fact, a couple with an AGI of less than $24,000 is going to pay ZERO in income taxes. And Social Security is not taxed until their non Social Security income exceeeds $32,000 a year. Just like you calling the child tax credit welfare, your wailing about seniors getting by on forty grand a year, probably mostly Social Security, is also disingenuous at best and ignorance at worst.

But it’s not a handout to affluent families since it’s just a tax credit for them.

Were you complaining about the “handouts” when Republicans cut taxes in 2018?

At the end of the day, you’re mad about inflation being caused by people having more money.
You’re still clueless.

And yes, inflation is caused when money is printed to give to some segment of the population, thus increasing costs on others. Why should some moderate earners have to suffer the costs of providing money to affluent families?

AND excusing SOME PEOPLE from paying taxes is the same as giving them more disposable income, causing prices to rise, and it is borne by other people.

Honestly, I’m trying not to get mad because you really don’t have a clue that giving money to some people (or excusing them of taxes) while not giving money to others (or making them still pay their taxes) is giving out to some while making others pay for it.

I can promise you, any senior citizen getting by on less than forty thousand a year is taking far more from the government than they are paying in. Just the government funding of the Medicare part B premium is going to easily exceed any taxes they pay. In fact, a couple with an AGI of less than $24,000 is going to pay ZERO in income taxes. And Social Security is not taxed until their non Social Security income exceeeds $32,000 a year. Just like you calling the child tax credit welfare, your wailing about seniors getting by on forty grand a year, probably mostly Social Security, is also disingenuous at best and ignorance at worst.
Oh, I remember you - the Democrat who has contempt for seniors who have contributed to society and saved for 40 years, paying hundreds of thousands in taxes over the decades, and now getting by on SS plus a little from savings, while applauding the handouts to six-figure couples who are crying they can’t afford the four children they had.

Forum List

Back