“He has a battle rifle”: Police feared Uvalde gunman’s AR-15

It isn’t BS. Soldiers are trained to risk themselves. They are trained to move under fire. Marines are trained to charge up the beach under fire. For combat operations of the type they were seeing in Iraq and Afghanistan they had training I didn’t have back in the day. With realistic looking wounds strapped on veterans many of whom were missing limbs from combat.

Cops aren’t trained to do that. They are trained to quick draw and shoot. They are trained to seek cover. They are trained to avoid charging down the guns.

In Basic Training Soldiers low crawl as tracers from machine guns flash overhead. Explosives go off in pits to simulate mortar or grenades. They are trained from day one to expect to be fired upon and move towards whatever objective they are given.

Cops are trained and given examples of where cops died by doing something dumb, like standing or charging in the door where a baddie was waiting.

So the idea that the cops were not afraid is insane. The idea that the cops shouldn’t be afraid is even dumber. The purpose of Army or Marine training is so the troops will do what they are supposed to in spite of the fear. The troops will go with what they’ve been trained to do. Move, engage the enemy. Obey the orders of their NCO’s. That’s why Sergeants of the ranks of their Platoon Sergeants or Squad Leaders are the Drill Sergeants. So the young troops will be accustomed to obeying the orders without question of the guy wearing the stripes.

In my day. The Soldiers were given MILES gear and death cards. These were playing cards sealed in envelopes. You put the envelope in your pocket. If your MILES gear went beep, you sat down and used your transmitter key to turn it off. You took your helmet off and sat there. The Observer Controller came around and you showed him the unopened envelope. He had you open the envelope and reveal your wound or death.

Each card had a wound on it. How long you would survive without treatment. True Story. I had one card at Fort Bragg with the wound gunshot to penis. But it could be anything. And after an attack the soldiers joked about what wounds they had. But the other message is also there. The unit suffered ten, fifteen, even fifty percent casualties.

Cops are trained to avoid those situations. Don’t charge into the guns. Don’t screw up and get dead.

From the cops point of view. The first guy through that door was a dead man. The second would probably die too. Without the right equipment it was suicide to charge in there. The “Battle Rifle” call may be BS or not. But the point is the cops were no going against the training they and every single person relies on. It was a truism when I was in the Army. You go with what you know.

At Fort Bragg we were taught we were actually ten percent over strength. We had ten percent more people than the normal unit TO&E. That was to allow us to absorb ten percent casualties on the Parachute Entry and still allow the unit to remain combat effective.

Now think about that. The troops are told that ten percent of them would be wounded, injured, or dead just in the first minute. The rest were told to see to the mission of securing the enemy airfield.

Practice Jumps did a lot to drive that home. On every jump someone was hurt. Broken legs were common. The Orthopedic Doctors at Fort Bragg get a lot of practice. Rarely someone would die. Occasionally the injury was severe and life threatening.

One of my buddies had five broken bones and multiple life threatening injuries. They called in the Medivac helicopter for him.

My point is the training is very different for cops. The focus is very different. The lessons passed on to new guys is very different.

At Bragg you knew that if you were injured, your fellow Paratroopers would come get you. Your buddies would not leave you. We were going to get you. Cops are taught that they’ll probably be alone when the time comes and they have to depend upon themselves. Don’t take chances.

It is why the cops have shot so many people when they shouldn’t have.

Remember this one?

The cops are trained. You have to shoot first. You can’t wait. You can’t hesitate. And if the baddie is armed that works fine. If the baddie isn’t actually a baddie. Well then you are in a lot of trouble.

A more recent event.

What did they do? Exactly what they are told they have to to save their own lives.

Soldiers are taught there are things more important than your life. A cop is taught there is nothing more important than your life. Don’t let the baddies kill you.

No...cops are
trained to immediately start shooting at the mass oublic shooter....the leadership who told these cops to stand down and had the cops who wanted to go in physically restrained vuilated their trainimg....you dim wit

In Mass Shootings, Police Are Trained to ‘Confront the Attacker’​

As the Uvalde, Texas, massacre raises questions about the police response, experts describe complex, shifting circumstances. Speed, they say, is essential.
Responding to a call of a mass shooting, police officers in the United States are trained, above all else, to stop the gunman. Act with urgency. Defend innocent lives.

You mean units ( It was just 3/4 of the block ) 😆
No, it wasn't

AINRPZ201708000716.jpeg

61 homes were destroyed, 11 people died.....

But since you didn't really give a fuck about the people who lost everything -- you wouldn't know....

The minute they heard that there was an Assault Weapon (AR) involved they FROZE and let those kids die.

Cops know they are weapons of war and they are scared shitless of them.

Time to get them off the streets.

Oh yea...and apparently the shooter had never fired that type of weapon before that day. That's how easy those killing machines are to use

It was a semi-auto rifle, but it looks scarier than the semi-auto you may have in your closet.

Yea...I'm sure you (being the keyboard warrior that you are) would have rushed in there guns blazing right Mr. CIA?
When I was in the military we were taught to attack the threat, not run away from it.

The fact that there were kids being threaten demanded courage be used but they didn't do it.

Duty called and they did not answer. Chickenshits!

Just another example of how we can never depend upon the police to protect us.

When I was in the military we were taught to attack the threat, not run away from it.

The fact that there were kids being threaten demanded courage be used but they didn't do it.

Duty called and they did not answer. Chickenshits!

Just another example of how we can never depend upon the police to protect us.
They didn’t answer because they were facing a battle rifle

They were lacking courage.

If you don't know what courage is then I can't explain it to you.

The Sheriff in my country has told his Deputies that if they do not have the courage to do what is necessary to protect children then he doesn't want them on the force.

It isn’t BS. Soldiers are trained to risk themselves. They are trained to move under fire. Marines are trained to charge up the beach under fire. For combat operations of the type they were seeing in Iraq and Afghanistan they had training I didn’t have back in the day. With realistic looking wounds strapped on veterans many of whom were missing limbs from combat.

Cops aren’t trained to do that. They are trained to quick draw and shoot. They are trained to seek cover. They are trained to avoid charging down the guns.

In Basic Training Soldiers low crawl as tracers from machine guns flash overhead. Explosives go off in pits to simulate mortar or grenades. They are trained from day one to expect to be fired upon and move towards whatever objective they are given.

Cops are trained and given examples of where cops died by doing something dumb, like standing or charging in the door where a baddie was waiting.

So the idea that the cops were not afraid is insane. The idea that the cops shouldn’t be afraid is even dumber. The purpose of Army or Marine training is so the troops will do what they are supposed to in spite of the fear. The troops will go with what they’ve been trained to do. Move, engage the enemy. Obey the orders of their NCO’s. That’s why Sergeants of the ranks of their Platoon Sergeants or Squad Leaders are the Drill Sergeants. So the young troops will be accustomed to obeying the orders without question of the guy wearing the stripes.

In my day. The Soldiers were given MILES gear and death cards. These were playing cards sealed in envelopes. You put the envelope in your pocket. If your MILES gear went beep, you sat down and used your transmitter key to turn it off. You took your helmet off and sat there. The Observer Controller came around and you showed him the unopened envelope. He had you open the envelope and reveal your wound or death.

Each card had a wound on it. How long you would survive without treatment. True Story. I had one card at Fort Bragg with the wound gunshot to penis. But it could be anything. And after an attack the soldiers joked about what wounds they had. But the other message is also there. The unit suffered ten, fifteen, even fifty percent casualties.

Cops are trained to avoid those situations. Don’t charge into the guns. Don’t screw up and get dead.

From the cops point of view. The first guy through that door was a dead man. The second would probably die too. Without the right equipment it was suicide to charge in there. The “Battle Rifle” call may be BS or not. But the point is the cops were no going against the training they and every single person relies on. It was a truism when I was in the Army. You go with what you know.

At Fort Bragg we were taught we were actually ten percent over strength. We had ten percent more people than the normal unit TO&E. That was to allow us to absorb ten percent casualties on the Parachute Entry and still allow the unit to remain combat effective.

Now think about that. The troops are told that ten percent of them would be wounded, injured, or dead just in the first minute. The rest were told to see to the mission of securing the enemy airfield.

Practice Jumps did a lot to drive that home. On every jump someone was hurt. Broken legs were common. The Orthopedic Doctors at Fort Bragg get a lot of practice. Rarely someone would die. Occasionally the injury was severe and life threatening.

One of my buddies had five broken bones and multiple life threatening injuries. They called in the Medivac helicopter for him.

My point is the training is very different for cops. The focus is very different. The lessons passed on to new guys is very different.

At Bragg you knew that if you were injured, your fellow Paratroopers would come get you. Your buddies would not leave you. We were going to get you. Cops are taught that they’ll probably be alone when the time comes and they have to depend upon themselves. Don’t take chances.

It is why the cops have shot so many people when they shouldn’t have.

Remember this one?

The cops are trained. You have to shoot first. You can’t wait. You can’t hesitate. And if the baddie is armed that works fine. If the baddie isn’t actually a baddie. Well then you are in a lot of trouble.

A more recent event.

What did they do? Exactly what they are told they have to to save their own lives.

Soldiers are taught there are things more important than your life. A cop is taught there is nothing more important than your life. Don’t let the baddies kill you.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.

Buy that's not the original premise of the thread.

The premise is that the AR15 was the cause of their hesitation.

The cause of their hesitation was an active shooter.

Their ballistic shields would have stopped whatever was thrown at it.

It wouldn't have mattered what firearm he had...the result would have been the same.

Guy was in there firing at will un-opposed for a good amount of time. He then took cover in a doorway and fired down the wide open hallway. Who is going to be first to run into that? I am hesitant to blame POLICE in this case. The Blame is on the school for not locking the door when they had warning. Why was it not locked before killer arrived? Then a second chance after they knew a THREAT existed. Seems like some sort of setup....almost.

I'll wait on the heros' to raise hands to go down that hallway first.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.

Buy that's not the original premise of the thread.

The premise is that the AR15 was the cause of their hesitation.

The cause of their hesitation was an active shooter.

Their ballistic shields would have stopped whatever was thrown at it.

It wouldn't have mattered what firearm he had...the result would have been the same.

The Ballistic Shield might have. It can’t stop rounds that don’t hit it. Bullets skip on concrete.

The problem is also one of faith in equipment.

At the Division Museum there was and I hope still is a Kevlar Helmet. It was worn by an Engineer from the 618th heavy equipment company who jumped with the Rangers into Grenada.

The Engineers were to get equipment running to clear the runway. The two Engineers left their helmets on while the Rangers switched to Soft Caps.

The Helmet has a groove running along the side. It showed the path of the AK round fired by one of the Cubans at the soldier. The helmet deflected the round. Exactly as it was designed to do.

New Paratroopers were shown this and had it explained to them. Trust your equipment.

Trusting something that somebody just says will work while they are also telling you that this cop died while wearing it. Or using it. Or whatever doesn’t communicate the same messsge does it?

Every soldier in Basic was taught movement under fire. The three to five second rush. We dove to the ground so often you would think we were training for an Olympic event. We chanted the mantra. I’m up, I’m moving, they see me, I’m down. When we were practicing we were all calling out. Bang bang ready. Bang bang moving.

We did this for days. Until it becomes muscle memory. Until you can do it without thinking. Until it becomes automatic. Dashing from one place of cover to another. Do it fast.

We even trained on the other side. Our Drill Sergeants telling us to count when we spot a pop up target. So we believe that it takes three to five seconds to get a shot off at the moving guy.

Training someone to do this isn’t something that is covered in a policy briefing in an hour. It takes repetition. It takes practice. Over and over again. Until you are sick of it. Then you do it some more.

Especially if you are expecting them to do something that appears dumb. Like charging into enemy fire.

Scared hell out of those cops

Would have been no different with any semi-auto rifle. You can ban the AR's all you like, but there are millions of semi-auto hunting rifles that will never be banned, and most of them have larger calibers, and would have done even more damage.

Those cops were incompetent boobs, that were completely unprepared and too cowardly for a confrontation with an active shooter. They made excuse after excuse why they did not go in.

Last edited:

It's not a battle rifle you stupid clod.....

The FOIA request itself was prompted from a Nov. 2017 article in The Atlantic in which the magazine, unsurprisingly to anyone familiar with its anti-gun bent, attempted to bolster a claim that “these rifles were meant for the military, not civilians.”

“Colt sent a pilot model rifle (serial no. GX4968) to the BATF for civilian sale approval on Oct. 23, 1963. It was approved on Dec. 10, 1963, and sales of the ‘Model R6000 Colt AR-15 SP1 Sporter Rifle’ began on Jan 2, 1964,” one critic of the article contended. “The M16 wasn’t issued to infantry units until 1965 (as the XM16E1), wasn’t standardized as the M16A1 until 1967, and didn’t officially replace the M14 until 1969.”
Original ATF AR-15 Classification Refutes Claim that Rifle ‘Not Meant’ for Civilians

In Mass Shootings, Police Are Trained to ‘Confront the Attacker’​

As the Uvalde, Texas, massacre raises questions about the police response, experts describe complex, shifting circumstances. Speed, they say, is essential.
Responding to a call of a mass shooting, police officers in the United States are trained, above all else, to stop the gunman. Act with urgency. Defend innocent lives.

QFT , cops face AR15 pattern Semi Auto Weapons often .

The Ballistic Shield might have. It can’t stop rounds that don’t hit it. Bullets skip on concrete.

The problem is also one of faith in equipment.

At the Division Museum there was and I hope still is a Kevlar Helmet. It was worn by an Engineer from the 618th heavy equipment company who jumped with the Rangers into Grenada.

The Engineers were to get equipment running to clear the runway. The two Engineers left their helmets on while the Rangers switched to Soft Caps.

The Helmet has a groove running along the side. It showed the path of the AK round fired by one of the Cubans at the soldier. The helmet deflected the round. Exactly as it was designed to do.

New Paratroopers were shown this and had it explained to them. Trust your equipment.

Trusting something that somebody just says will work while they are also telling you that this cop died while wearing it. Or using it. Or whatever doesn’t communicate the same messsge does it?

Every soldier in Basic was taught movement under fire. The three to five second rush. We dove to the ground so often you would think we were training for an Olympic event. We chanted the mantra. I’m up, I’m moving, they see me, I’m down. When we were practicing we were all calling out. Bang bang ready. Bang bang moving.

We did this for days. Until it becomes muscle memory. Until you can do it without thinking. Until it becomes automatic. Dashing from one place of cover to another. Do it fast.

We even trained on the other side. Our Drill Sergeants telling us to count when we spot a pop up target. So we believe that it takes three to five seconds to get a shot off at the moving guy.

Training someone to do this isn’t something that is covered in a policy briefing in an hour. It takes repetition. It takes practice. Over and over again. Until you are sick of it. Then you do it some more.

Especially if you are expecting them to do something that appears dumb. Like charging into enemy fire.
This is all true. "Shoot, move, communicate".

But, you are still resisting addressing the point I questioned you about.

It doesn't matter what weapon this shooter used. The OP is false. AR15, lever action rifle, bolt action rifle...these guys weren't going in...because there are many pistol rounds that will defeat soft body armor.

5.7x28mm comes to mind, as does 7.62x25mm.

Anybody can search the internet and find a list.

And 9mm skips off of concrete better than 5.56mm.

Just tell the OP that she is wrong.

That these police weren't going in against any armed resistance.

Bureaucracy, fear and indecision locked these officers into an infinite loop of self doubt.

That is WHY soldiers train. You know what to do, you do it.

These officer trained half-assed, thought it would never happen to them, and didn't know what to do when it DID happened.

Complacency is a killer.

Nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, nothing happens, year after year...soon you stop taking the threat seriously, then you stop taking the training seriously. And that's a recipe for disaster.

That's what happened here IMO.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back