Has Donald Trump Permanently Altered The Republican Party's DNA?

It's a great question, and I'm guessing that it may depend on the outcome of the election.

If he loses big, then the Alt Right's grip becomes more tenuous, maybe.

When you hitch your wagon to a circus horse, you really can't be sure of where you're going.
Trump has drawn out and given recognition to the crazies. The GOP is now split between the Old School Elitists and the Radical Alt-Right, and the latter isn't going anywhere soon. That, overall, weakens the GOP's political power in all but local elections up to and including House seats. It has forfeited any chance of hanging onto the senate and the White House.

And this is a self-inflicted wound. By embracing the Tea Party movement in order to pad its numbers, the GOP threw what was left of its principles out the window and now they're paying for it, mortally. Once they introduced that virus into their party, they could only get sicker.

Mother Nature has a way of picking off outliers like the Republican Party of the United States.
I agree with everything up until the last sentence.

This country needs two serious, strong parties. The GOP could be that today, if it were not for what talk radio and conservative internet have done to it.

I'm just hopeful that whatever rises from the ashes here will provide serious ideological balance.
I would prefer three strong parties. I think we need our congress to be made up of at least three parties so that members can wheel and deal with each other on individual bills and no one party line can dictate the direction our country is taken.
Yes, agreed. We're a helluva long way from that, but I'd love to see it, too.

In answer to the question. Probably not.

Has Donald Trump Permanently Altered The Republican Party's DNA?

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump is giving his adopted party a lot to think about. He has offered radically different approaches to trade, immigration, the size of government and national defense.

Now Republicans are debating whether, win or lose, Donald Trump has permanently altered their party's DNA.
Let's hope the RINOs go extinct...

Hitlery will lead you into the three rings....just relax....:lol:
Who knows what that means.

Perhaps you can provide some thoughtful commentary on how ridding the Republican party of Republicans is good for the Republican party.

It really is bizarre the mental gymnastics Trump supporters are performing this election cycle. All the actual Republicans are now RINOs because they're Republicans. Try to wrap your head around that shit. :cuckoo:

Perhaps you can provide some thoughtful commentary on how ridding the Republican party of Republicans is good for the Republican party.

It really is bizarre the mental gymnastics Trump supporters are performing this election cycle. All the actual Republicans are now RINOs because they're Republicans. Try to wrap your head around that shit. :cuckoo:
The problem is that you can't engage with some of these folks because they get this stuff from other sources, and those sources don't go into detail. So most of what they spit out is just a variation on a theme. Oh, and personal attacks.

Half of Trump supporters say they want to destroy the Republican party while the other half say they want the RINOs out. It's apparent they have no clue what they are aiming for with this election.

Today's Dems are essentially the GOP of the '50s, middle-of-the-road*. I'd like to see the disenchanted Dems break off and form a Progressive Party and what's left of the GOP can represent the radical right.

*Here are some planks from the GOP platform in 1956. It's hard to believe that they were once so responsible:

Our Government was created by the people for all the people, and it must serve no less a purpose.

The legitimate object of Government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done but cannot do at all, or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and individual capacities.

In all those things which deal with people, be liberal, be human.

Establish and maintain a peaceful world and build at home a dynamic prosperity in which every citizen fairly shares.

We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security—broadened coverage in unemployment insurance —improved housing—and better health protection for all our people. We are determined that our government remain warmly responsive to the urgent social and economic problems of our people.

We firmly believe in the right of peoples everywhere to determine their form of government, their leaders, their destiny, in peace.

We shall continue vigorously to support the United Nations.

That men are created equal needs no affirmation, but they must have equality of opportunity and protection of their civil rights under the law.

America does not prosper unless all Americans prosper.

Government must have a heart as well as a head.

Courage in principle, cooperation in practice make freedom positive.

Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex.

Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public.

Republican action created the Department of Health, Education and Welfare as the first new Federal department in 40 years, to raise the continuing consideration of these problems for the first time to the highest council of Government, the President's Cabinet.

We demand once again, despite the reluctance of the Democrat 84th Congress, Federal assistance to help build facilities to train more physicians and scientists.

We have supported measures that have made more housing available than ever before in history, reduced urban slums in local-federal partnership, stimulated record home ownership, and authorized additional low-rent public housing.

To safeguard our precious soil and water resources for generations yet unborn.

To continue and expand the Republican-sponsored school milk program, to encourage further use of the school lunch program now benefiting 11 million children, and to foster improved nutritional levels.

We favor self-government, national suffrage and representation in the Congress of the United States for residents of the District of Columbia.

---

These are American values and the GOP used to own them on the national political stage. They threw them away and the Democrats moved in to fill the void where the GOP had abandoned its principles. That's why I, and so many others, ended up Democrats, in order to preserve them.

It wasn't I who lost my focus on what is important, it was the Republican Party, and it's learning only now that it's impossible to turn back the clock. It has forfeited the high ground and swirling down the drain.

It's a great question, and I'm guessing that it may depend on the outcome of the election.

When you hitch your wagon to a circus horse, you really can't be sure of where you're going.
Trump has drawn out and given recognition to the crazies. The GOP is now split between the Old School Elitists and the Radical Alt-Right, and the latter isn't going anywhere soon. That, overall, weakens the GOP's political power in all but local elections up to and including House seats. It has forfeited any chance of hanging onto the senate and the White House.

And this is a self-inflicted wound. By embracing the Tea Party movement in order to pad its numbers, the GOP threw what was left of its principles out the window and now they're paying for it, mortally. Once they introduced that virus into their party, they could only get sicker.

Mother Nature has a way of picking off outliers like the Republican Party of the United States.

The wound was inflicted long before the Tea Party came to be. Back in the early 80's, pundits were saying that the coalition of the religious right, mainstream Republicans and racist Dixiecrats wouldn't hold. The interests of the coalition members were too diverse. It's taken longer than expected, but the coalition is shattered.

The chances of putting the party back together are slim and none. The moderate Republicans have had their eyes open to the racism and mysogyny which lies at the core of the party now, and until it's destroyed, moderates have to find a better option.

The wound was inflicted long before the Tea Party came to be. Back in the early 80's, pundits were saying that the coalition of the religious right, mainstream Republicans and racist Dixiecrats wouldn't hold. The interests of the coalition members were too diverse. It's taken longer than expected, but the coalition is shattered.

The chances of putting the party back together are slim and none. The moderate Republicans have had their eyes open to the racism and mysogyny which lies at the core of the party now, and until it's destroyed, moderates have to find a better option.
I personally see the break forming with Gingrich's Contract on America. It could go only downhill from there, and we've witnessed that.

Your ignorance, it's entertaining....:lol:

I personally see the break forming with Gingrich's Contract on America. It could go only downhill from there, and we've witnessed that.
Newt is a progressive.....so....who gives a fuck....

Then I'm sure you can answer Mac's question. How exactly is ridding the Republican party of Republicans good for the Republican party?

"No. We're ridding the Republican party of the GOPers."

The GOP is the Republican party. You people don't even know what you're talking about at this point.

Then I'm sure you can answer Mac's question. How exactly is ridding the Republican party of Republicans good for the Republican party?

The GOP is the Republican party. You people don't even know what you're talking about at this point.
Post #29......

Good luck.

Post #29......

Just say you have no answer. It will look better than saying nothing.

Post #29......

My answer was well above your education level....

Post #29......

aaronleland , you need to understand that his responses are so deep, comprehensive and intellectually powerful that they're actually INVISIBLE.

Post #29......

So, someone of your vast intellect would know that the GOP you want to get of and the Republican party are the exact same thing, right?

Post #29......

So, someone of your vast intellect would know that the GOP you want to get of and the Republican party are the exact same thing, right?
Post # 29....yet again....:lol:

Forum List

Back