CDZ gun magazine bullet limits...they only effect law abiding gun owners so why do we need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope......a medical license is not a Right.....it is not protected from infringement by the government.......any Tax, Fee, or test that you want to pass on gun ownership makes it harder to exercise the Right to self defense.....just like when the democrats didn't want their former black slaves to vote...they passed Poll Taxes, and Literacy tests to make it impossible for blacks to exercise their right to vote...

now...it is a different time...but the same tactic...you want to impose Fees, and Tests on the Right to bear arms..which will make it harder for the poor and minorities to exercise that Right.....

Sorry.....not going to happen if we can stop it....you guys didn't want blacks to vote, and we stopped you...we will do our best to stop you this time too....

So you want to change the subject? We aren't discussing the aspects of rights. We are talking about whether any law can stop a bad guy. Try to keep up.

No...I am addressing your point about licensing Doctors......vs. owning and carrying a gun...they are not the same issue. And they are different because one is not a Right and the other is....since gun ownership is a Right, you can't require a license....the fee and the test are no different than the Poll TAx and the Literacy test you would have wanted for blacks to vote.

You're as wrong as he is. A license to own a gun is NOTHING like a poll tax.

If it is exorbitantly expensive as to stop people from obtaining one thereby restricting one's ability to exercise a legal right it is exactly like a poll tax

If you knew what a poll tax was you wouldn't say something so silly.

A fee to vote in a national election
IOW a fee to exercise a Constitutional right

So you want to change the subject? We aren't discussing the aspects of rights. We are talking about whether any law can stop a bad guy. Try to keep up.

No...I am addressing your point about licensing Doctors......vs. owning and carrying a gun...they are not the same issue. And they are different because one is not a Right and the other is....since gun ownership is a Right, you can't require a license....the fee and the test are no different than the Poll TAx and the Literacy test you would have wanted for blacks to vote.

No We are talking about whether laws effect bad behavior. You're the one who said gun laws were useless because they don't stop bad behavior. If someone intends to do bad, laws don't stop them. That was your claim, and your excuse why there shouldn't be any more gun laws. That holds true with every law ever written. Using your logic,all laws are useless.

No law that requires a license for anything stops a person from engaging in that activity without the necessary licenses.

How often do you ask a new doctor to see his current license?
How often to you ask an electrician to see his current license?
How often do you ask the guy giving you a ride to se his current driving license?

Anyone of these people could be unlicensed and you wouldn't know it

So no laws do not effect the behaviors of any people who have no intention of following them

So using the same logic that gun nuts use for background checks, are you going to say those licenses are useless like they claim background checks are?

I never claimed background checks are useless.
I don't mind them as I do not want criminals buying guns legally. But I am not naive enough to think that a background check will stop a criminal from obtaining a gun illegally.

But if I pass every background check asked of me and I have then why shouldn't I be able to buy an AR 15 or a so called high capacity magazine?

Of course background checks won't stop every bad guy from getting a gun, but it will stop some. Unfortunately, the NRA and their gun nuts have blocked universal checks, and use that as an excuse.

No We are talking about whether laws effect bad behavior. You're the one who said gun laws were useless because they don't stop bad behavior. If someone intends to do bad, laws don't stop them. That was your claim, and your excuse why there shouldn't be any more gun laws. That holds true with every law ever written. Using your logic,all laws are useless.

No law that requires a license for anything stops a person from engaging in that activity without the necessary licenses.

How often do you ask the guy giving you a ride to se his current driving license?

So no laws do not effect the behaviors of any people who have no intention of following them

So using the same logic that gun nuts use for background checks, are you going to say those licenses are useless like they claim background checks are?

I don't mind them as I do not want criminals buying guns legally. But I am not naive enough to think that a background check will stop a criminal from obtaining a gun illegally.

But if I pass every background check asked of me and I have then why shouldn't I be able to buy an AR 15 or a so called high capacity magazine?

Of course background checks won't stop every bad guy from getting a gun, but it will stop some. Unfortunately, the NRA and their gun nuts have blocked universal checks, and use that as an excuse.

I won't stop anyone. And many states already have laws that prohibit private sales to anyone not legally eligible to buy a gun. Mine does.

If it is exorbitantly expensive as to stop people from obtaining one thereby restricting one's ability to exercise a legal right it is exactly like a poll tax

Look it up. It's not a fee. It's a tax levied on every adult without consideration of income or resources. Other taxes are based on either income or the value of the asset that is being taxed. A poll tax is an across the board tax based on nothing the individual owns, receives, or can control. Each person pays the same amount. Southern states used the failure to pay that tax as an excuse to prevent people who could not pay it (usually black, always poor) from voting.
Google

I won't stop anyone. And many states already have laws that prohibit private sales to anyone not legally eligible to buy a gun. Mine does.

Many don't. Mine doesn't. It should be a federal law applicable to every state.

Look it up. It's not a fee. It's a tax levied on every adult without consideration of income or resources. Other taxes are based on either income or the value of the asset that is being taxed. A poll tax is an across the board tax based on nothing the individual owns, receives, or can control. Each person pays the same amount. Southern states used the failure to pay that tax as an excuse to prevent people who could not pay it (usually black, always poor) from voting.
Google

The context counts as much as the definition. The reason the poll tax was implemented was to prevent people from being able to vote.

Expensive gun licenses would prevent some people from being able to exercise their Constitutional right to own a firearm just like the poll tax was used to prevent some people from voting

It doesn't need to be a federal law. The federal government was given no power to restrict gun ownership and the tenth amendment clearly leaves that to the states

No.....my point is that we have laws and they work.....if you commit a crime with a gun you go to jail, right now with existing laws......that is the point.........you propose new laws that you guys claim will keep guns out of the hands of criminals....we show they won't then you say we don't want any laws...that is how you guys argue...it is silly, but you keep doing it.

So hung up on your talking point till logic doesn't stand a chance with you. It's stupid to say limiting some access to guns by thugs won't have any effect. Will it stop all of them? No, but some is better than none. Your main excuse is that checks won't stop crooks. Speed limits won't stop people from driving fast, and medical review won't stop bad doctors. This part of your talking point is shown to be ridiculous and invalid.

It doesn't....they get people with clean records to buy their guns or they steal construction equipment and break into gun stores....

Law abiding people...they won't break the law...so your law just makes it harder for them to get a gun....

The laws I support work....if you catch a criminal breaking the law by using a gun to commit a crime, you give them 30 years...that works...

Making people get a license.....doesn't work...criminals cant get a license in the first place. this would only impact law abiding gun owners....

Registering guns....criminals do not have to register illegal guns...because of Haynes v. United States...so only law abiding people would have to register their guns.....

Universal background checks...are defeated the same way current federal background checks are defeated, the criminal uses someone with a clean record to buy the gun or they steal the gun....so again, only law abiding gun owners are affected....

you are wrong....your points have no value....

Your silly talking points don't make sense. I know they are important to you, because you have always used them, but they are just wrong. They always have been. Get over it.

Okay ....show me how I am wrong on each one.....

Licensing gun owners...how am I wrong?

Gun registration...how am I wrong? Please read Haynes v. United States.....

Universal Background checks....how do they work any better than current, mandatory federal background checks?

Current background checks aren't mandatory. I can legally buy a truck load of guns today without even giving my name.

Wrong....that would be illegal.....you have to get a background check through any purchase from a licensed dealer....any private seller can only sell from their own collection...and they cannot be doing it in anyway that would make them equal to a licensed dealer..if you bought a truck load of guns from someone, you would both go to jail...without background checks.

The discussion is about whether laws stop anybody from bad behavior. Gun nuts say gun laws are useless because people still use guns for crime. Using that logic, is it reasonable to have any laws, and why?

Selling guns without a background check increases the likelihood that it will be used in a crime.

I understand that and I actually favor stricter background checks to buy guns.

I don't know about stricter, but it would be nice if they were required.

My thought is, if you want to legally own ANY gun, you must undergo the same FBI background check that is currently required to be able to buy a fully automatic weapon.

ONCE, after you pass that background check you can buy whatever you like, with checks in place where that right can be suspended for cause of course.

Good for 10 years, no state may have tougher or different standards. No need for a background check every time you buy a gun. No need for a background check on private sales.

If you come in contact with police and have a gun you aren't legally licenses to own, 10 years in prison per gun MANDATORY regardless of why you came in contact with police, and independent of other crimes you committed.

Meaning, no rolling a 10 year sentence for the gun in with a 10 year sentence for rape, and only serving 8 years, Nope, you serve 10 years for the gun PERIOD, and whatever for the additional crime. Just as an example.

And that is foolish. A waste of time, money and you are putting law abiding people in legal jeopardy for absolutely no reason......

If someone has committed no crime...and he has a gun, and is stopped by police,they will check his background with name and date of birth.....if he has no record, there is no arrest....you do not need to surrender more power to the feds to do this, we can do it already.

If a felon is caught carrying a gun...you can already arrest him without your federal background check permission slip. We can already do this.

There is no reason for what you propose....and on top of that....who pays for it...? How do the poor afford to pay for this background check....and what happens when a democrat gets into office and reduces access to these magical permits of yours....this is how they keep people from owning and carrying guns in New York and New Jersey and you want to make it the same way for all of the states.

hy don't you just say "because I don't want to do anything to be agreeable" we both know that is your only reason. Your reasoning doesn't hold up and you know it.

My reasoning actually does hold up.....you can't deny it ...so you post what you just posted....

They blocked universal checks because the only way to enforce it is universal gun registration...and in every country that has had them, gun registration has been used to ban and confiscate guns....Germany, Britain and Australia are the leading example of this.

And the solution is simple....put FELON on the drivers license of all felons...then, when you buy a gun, the seller can ask to look at your state I.D....if they see FELON on it, they can't sell to you.....

Simple, and as effective as universal background checks......the check was already done by the Department of Corrections...

Wrong.....in your state too......you can't sell a gun to a felon....in any state.

So hung up on your talking point till logic doesn't stand a chance with you. It's stupid to say limiting some access to guns by thugs won't have any effect. Will it stop all of them? No, but some is better than none. Your main excuse is that checks won't stop crooks. Speed limits won't stop people from driving fast, and medical review won't stop bad doctors. This part of your talking point is shown to be ridiculous and invalid.

It doesn't....they get people with clean records to buy their guns or they steal construction equipment and break into gun stores....

Law abiding people...they won't break the law...so your law just makes it harder for them to get a gun....

The laws I support work....if you catch a criminal breaking the law by using a gun to commit a crime, you give them 30 years...that works...

Making people get a license.....doesn't work...criminals cant get a license in the first place. this would only impact law abiding gun owners....

Registering guns....criminals do not have to register illegal guns...because of Haynes v. United States...so only law abiding people would have to register their guns.....

Universal background checks...are defeated the same way current federal background checks are defeated, the criminal uses someone with a clean record to buy the gun or they steal the gun....so again, only law abiding gun owners are affected....

Your silly talking points don't make sense. I know they are important to you, because you have always used them, but they are just wrong. They always have been. Get over it.

Universal Background checks....how do they work any better than current, mandatory federal background checks?

Current background checks aren't mandatory. I can legally buy a truck load of guns today without even giving my name.

Wrong....that would be illegal.....you have to get a background check through any purchase from a licensed dealer....any private seller can only sell from their own collection...and they cannot be doing it in anyway that would make them equal to a licensed dealer..if you bought a truck load of guns from someone, you would both go to jail...without background checks.

There is no requirement to report any sale from an individual, to anybody, so who would know? I could easily buy from more than one seller. There are tons of them in the parking lot of every gun show here in Texas.

They blocked universal checks because the only way to enforce it is universal gun registration...and in every country that has had them, gun registration has been used to ban and confiscate guns....Germany, Britain and Australia are the leading example of this.

And the solution is simple....put FELON on the drivers license of all felons...then, when you buy a gun, the seller can ask to look at your state I.D....if they see FELON on it, they can't sell to you.....

Simple, and as effective as universal background checks......the check was already done by the Department of Corrections...

Bullshit. They have dealer checks without registration.

Wrong.....in your state too......you can't sell a gun to a felon....in any state.

It happens all the time. Felon's don't have a specific tattoo on their forehead that says "FELON". There is no requirement to even ask their name. How are you going to know if a person is a felon or not?

There is no requirement to report any sale from an individual, to anybody, so who would know? I could easily buy from more than one seller. There are tons of them in the parking lot of every gun show here in Texas.

Yeah....and when you are caught breaking the law with those guns you can turn in the sellers for a reduced sentence....just like any other crime....and the virtue of that.....law abiding gun owners who have committed no crime, are not put in legal jeopardy.....

And if we had universal background checks....you would just do like criminals do now....you would either find someone who would break the law and sell to you anyway...defeating the universal background check, or you would use someone with a clean record to buy the gun for you....defeating the universal background check....

It happens all the time. Felon's don't have a specific tattoo on their forehead that says "FELON". There is no requirement to even ask their name. How are you going to know if a person is a felon or not?

The same way with current federal background checks.....you can't...because they use people with clean records to buy their guns or they steal them......

My idea works just as well....put FELON, on all governmnent identification of released felons...when you sell a gun from your personal collection...you simply ask for their drivers license....you will see FELON on it if he is a felon, so you know you can't sell to him....

See, that is easy, does not burden normal gun owners, and works just as well as current federally mandated background checks.

Yeah....and when you are caught breaking the law with those guns you can turn in the sellers for a reduced sentence....just like any other crime....and the virtue of that.....law abiding gun owners who have committed no crime, are not put in legal jeopardy.....

And if we had universal background checks....you would just do like criminals do now....you would either find someone who would break the law and sell to you anyway...defeating the universal background check, or you would use someone with a clean record to buy the gun for you....defeating the universal background check....

You just can't admit the truth. Your silly excuses don't work.

The same way with current federal background checks.....you can't...because they use people with clean records to buy their guns or they steal them......

My idea works just as well....put FELON, on all governmnent identification of released felons...when you sell a gun from your personal collection...you simply ask for their drivers license....you will see FELON on it if he is a felon, so you know you can't sell to him....

See, that is easy, does not burden normal gun owners, and works just as well as current federally mandated background checks.

And something you know will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back