Gun Control vs. The diversity lottery (Rep hypocrisy)

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
I often hear the argument from those on the Right, regarding gun control, that people kill people not guns so don’t attack the tool. This most recent debate about the diversity lottery seems to hold a lot of hypocrisy. In the aftermath of a terror attack now the Right is politicizing their support for strict immigration policy and trying to shut down the diversity lottery. Well I’m not a big supporter of the diversity lottery one way or another I do sense a double standard going on. If the Right is going to insist that we focus on the people and not the tool for the gun debate then we should have the same standards with the terrorism/immigration debate and not focus on the tool which would be the immigration system but rather the people that we decide to let in. Even with a diversity lottery there is vetting. Thoughts?

Allowing foreigners into our country via some damn diversity lottery system is retarded. Lets bring in the best and brightest not a bunch of losers who mow down our citizens with a truck. As for gun control, the constitution's 2nd Amendment suck it.

Allowing foreigners into our country via some damn diversity lottery system is retarded. Lets bring in the best and brightest not a bunch of losers who mow down our citizens with a truck.
Thanks for your opinion and for stating it so articulately.

Allowing foreigners into our country via some damn diversity lottery system is retarded. Lets bring in the best and brightest not a bunch of losers who mow down our citizens with a truck. As for gun control, the constitution's 2nd Amendment suck it.
I didn’t ask what your opinion on the lottery was, I was speaking to the double standards and how the Right has been politicizing it. Can you agree with that observation?

Last edited:
I didn’t ask what your opinion on the lottery was, I was speaking to the double standards to how the Right has been politicizing it. Can you agree with that observation?

There is no double standard you are confused.

I often hear the argument from those on the Right, regarding gun control, that people kill people not guns so don’t attack the tool. This most recent debate about the diversity lottery seems to hold a lot of hypocrisy. In the aftermath of a terror attack now the Right is politicizing their support for strict immigration policy and trying to shut down the diversity lottery. Well I’m not a big supporter of the diversity lottery one way or another I do sense a double standard going on. If the Right is going to insist that we focus on the people and not the tool for the gun debate then we should have the same standards with the terrorism/immigration debate and not focus on the tool which would be the immigration system but rather the people that we decide to let in. Even with a diversity lottery there is vetting. Thoughts?
Well said. I can get behind it, but I also think immigration should be mutually beneficial to the immigrant and country. They should also meet certain qualifications. Otherwise, what is the purpose of immigration?

By focusing on the policy, we ARE focusing on the people.

A gun [tool] doesn't really compare to immigration policy [social construct] - or at least I'm not seeing your angle with that comparison Slade...

Republican's are pretty open upon their opinion that "the people" who are committing the terrorism are the problem - it's why many argue to ban Muslim's, it's why most of the rest want extreme vetting of immigrants/refugees. That is blaming "the people" who do these things, and the "method" to stop them from coming in is immigration reform.

A gun on the other hand is a physical object, and it's protected by the 2nd amendment, immigration is not...

I'm just having trouble finding how these things connect up as "the same" in your mind, sorry.

I didn’t ask what your opinion on the lottery was, I was speaking to the double standards to how the Right has been politicizing it. Can you agree with that observation?

Then explain yourself...

American citizens are DEAD so that the left can brag about supporting diversity, that's just brilliant. /sarcasm
Americans died in Vegas too... you’re not doing a very good job explaining how this isn’t a double standard

Well said. I can get behind it, but I also think immigration should be mutually beneficial to the immigrant and country. They should also meet certain qualifications. Otherwise, what is the purpose of immigration?
I hear you and I agree with part of that. Another side of America is taking in the poor and oppressed to give them opportunity. I don’t like the thought of painting us as this a purely elitist country the only accepts the best and the brightest. Think of Rudy

Then explain yourself...

We warned you people not to let these assholes into our country. Thousands of American citizens have been killed, raped, assaulted, because our immigration laws have not been enforced that is the price the American people are paying. So this piece of filth mows down a bunch of our citizens with a truck, Trump says I told you so again, your side shits itself and you start some twisted thread trying to deflect to gun control?

American citizens are DEAD so that the left can brag about supporting diversity, that's just brilliant. /sarcasm
Americans died in Vegas too... you’re not doing a very good job explaining how this isn’t a double standard

Your new Marvel Comics name is Deflecto. You people let a worthless POS into our country in the name of diversity FACT. This piece of filth mowed down our citizens with a truck FACT. The deranged freak in Vegas has nothing to do with it, talk about a stretch holy crap.

A gun [tool] doesn't really compare to immigration policy [social construct] - or at least I'm not seeing your angle with that comparison Slade...

Republican's are pretty open upon their opinion that "the people" who are committing the terrorism are the problem - it's why many argue to ban Muslim's, it's why most of the rest want extreme vetting of immigrants/refugees. That is blaming "the people" who do these things, and the "method" to stop them from coming in is immigration reform.

A gun on the other hand is a physical object, and it's protected by the 2nd amendment, immigration is not...

I'm just having trouble finding how these things connect up as "the same" in your mind, sorry.

Then explain yourself...

We warned you people not to let these assholes into our country. Thousands of American citizens have been killed, raped, assaulted, because our immigration laws have not been enforced that is the price the American people are paying. So this piece of filth mows down a bunch of our citizens with a truck, Trump says I told you so again, your side shits itself and you start some twisted thread trying to deflect to gun control?

Your new Marvel Comics name is Deflecto. You people let a worthless POS into our country in the name of diversity FACT. This piece of filth mowed down our citizens with a truck FACT. The deranged freak in Vegas has nothing to do with it, talk about a stretch holy crap.

Here Slade, let me SPLAIN it to you in logical terms that everyone can understand----------->

How old was everyone here when they heard about guns? 4-5-6-8?

How old was everyone here, when the heard about and understood the 2nd amendment? 10, 12, 15, 19?

So therefore, everyone has at LEAST a rudimentary understanding of what is involved whenever someone gets killed by the use of a fire arm. Most everyone also understands the debate over the 2nd amendment. Doesn't mean we have to agree on it, but we have knowledge of at least some of the facts involved in the debate. Can I have an AMEN!

So now, how many of you were aware of the DIVERSITY LOTTERY until a few days ago, knew ANY of its rules, and were aware even AFTER you 1st heard about it, that not only this savage used it to get in the country, but the savage who shot up LAX used it also!

This is why it is a debate! It is because gun control and the 2nd amendment are old hat, this DIVERSITY LOTTERY is something most people never heard about, it is NOT in the constitution, and it is costing lives.

So now the easier question------->what is easier to change........an amendment that protects gun ownership, or a law written by Chucky, Shmucky, Shumer-)

Both may kill people, depending on your stance, so we will let you argue over the 2nd amendment with whomever you want, but for expediency, we will clobber this law instantly, to protect Americans. No need to thank us, we are here to heeeeeeeeeelllllllllp!

This conversation about a diversity lottery isn’t focusing on the dangerous people specifically. It is effecting a general group of people for the irresponsible and dangerous actions of a very few. Same thing with the gun control argument. The Right wants to protect the rights of gun owning Americans and only focus on the criminals.

Banning Muslims, or instituting travel bans, or getting rid of a diversity lottery isn’t targeting terrorist it’s targeting immigrants, the vast majority of which are good hearted people. See it now?

Then explain yourself...

I’ve had plenty of discussions directly about immigration and terrorism. Just because I started a thread with a different political angle doesn’t make it a deflection. And you really seem to have difficulty sticking to the subject. That makes you a deflector

I guess it’s a little too complex for you to understand. It’s ok

Then explain yourself...

Here Slade, let me SPLAIN it to you in logical terms that everyone can understand----------->

How old was everyone here when they heard about guns? 4-5-6-8?

How old was everyone here, when the heard about and understood the 2nd amendment? 10, 12, 15, 19?

So therefore, everyone has at LEAST a rudimentary understanding of what is involved whenever someone gets killed by the use of a fire arm. Most everyone also understands the debate over the 2nd amendment. Doesn't mean we have to agree on it, but we have knowledge of at least some of the facts involved in the debate. Can I have an AMEN!

So now, how many of you were aware of the DIVERSITY LOTTERY until a few days ago, knew ANY of its rules, and were aware even AFTER you 1st heard about it, that not only this savage used it to get in the country, but the savage who shot up LAX used it also!

This is why it is a debate! It is because gun control and the 2nd amendment are old hat, this DIVERSITY LOTTERY is something most people never heard about, it is NOT in the constitution, and it is costing lives.

So now the easier question------->what is easier to change........an amendment that protects gun ownership, or a law written by Chucky, Shmucky, Shumer-)

Both may kill people, depending on your stance, so we will let you argue over the 2nd amendment with whomever you want, but for expediency, we will clobber this law instantly, to protect Americans. No need to thank us, we are here to heeeeeeeeeelllllllllp!
Haha, I appreciate the explaination. And like I said in the OP I don’t really know anything nor do I care very much about the diversity lottery. I just thought the politics of it all was intersting.

It’s kind of silly to think it will make a difference. Kind of like many of the fun arguments, but go for it if it makes you feel better

it's a sensible argument, but you did leave out the part about the lottery not being a constitutional right, that needs to be added into the mix even if you disagree with it...and yes, just like the left did wth the shooting in vegas trump used this to play politics with, keep in mind that had the left not done so bump stocks would still be legal, so all else being equal then perhaps this tragedy will have the same outcome as the politicizing of vegas had, the lottery visa will end, again that assumes we view both incidents in the same manner, if we don't then we can hardly compare one to the other

Last edited:

Forum List

Back