Groceries...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
I go grocery shopping about once a week; maybe every ten days or so.

Lately, it seems as though I can't get out of the grocery store for less than a hundred bucks. Need milk? By the time I'm done I've spent $100.

Yesterday I decided to handle my ever expanding grocery bill, and made the drive up to the Navy commissary at NAS Jacksonville. I hadn't been doing it simply because it's almost 90 minutes round-trip, and traffic on I-95 up in Jax can be dismal. But, screw it. I bit the bullet and made the drive.

I ended up spending $90.28, and bought, easily, half again as much as I'd have gotten for $125 at Publix. Having not been to the commissary in a while, I guess I'd lost the appreciation for just how much cheaper it is there. For instance, at Publix a package of six Thomas's English muffins is $4.79. At the commissary, that same package of English muffins was $2.26. New York strips were $8.99 a pound. Pre-made salads, which are $5.69 at Publix are only $3.29 at the commissary

The downside is that military paydays are the 1st and 15th of each month. When payday falls on a weekend, they get paid on the preceding Friday. So, seeing as I went only two days after their payday, a lot of stuff had been picked over pretty well. I'll have to stop over at Publix for my blueberry yogurt and these stuffed chicken breasts I like but, for the most part, everything I wanted I was able to find.

Think I may have to make this a regular thing...

Lately, it seems as though I can't get out of the grocery store for less than a hundred bucks. Need milk? By the time I'm done I've spent $100.

Yesterday I decided to handle my ever expanding grocery bill, and made the drive up to the Navy commissary at NAS Jacksonville. I hadn't been doing it simply because it's almost 90 minutes round-trip, and traffic on I-95 up in Jax can be dismal. But, screw it. I bit the bullet and made the drive.

I ended up spending $90.28, and bought, easily, half again as much as I'd have gotten for $125 at Publix. Having not been to the commissary in a while, I guess I'd lost the appreciation for just how much cheaper it is there. For instance, at Publix a package of six Thomas's English muffins is $4.79. At the commissary, that same package of English muffins was $2.26. New York strips were $8.99 a pound. Pre-made salads, which are $5.69 at Publix are only $3.29 at the commissary

The downside is that military paydays are the 1st and 15th of each month. When payday falls on a weekend, they get paid on the preceding Friday. So, seeing as I went only two days after their payday, a lot of stuff had been picked over pretty well. I'll have to stop over at Publix for my blueberry yogurt and these stuffed chicken breasts I like but, for the most part, everything I wanted I was able to find.

Don't worry. We'll have massive shortages soon and no need to worry

Food prices are only a problem if you buy expensive foods.

I try to eat healthy and, yeah, healthy food tends to be more expensive than unhealthy food. Over the last couple of years I've started paying attention to the nutritional information they put on packages and, even more than how many calories are in something, I look at the sodium. It's stunning how high the sodium levels are in a lot of the stuff at the grocery store...

I try to eat healthy and, yeah, healthy food tends to be more expensive than unhealthy food. Over the last couple of years I've started paying attention to the nutritional information they put on packages and, even more than how many calories are in something, I look at the sodium. It's stunning how high the sodium levels are in a lot of the stuff at the grocery store...
I enjoy the best of both; cheap food and good nutrition. Currently my food cost is $124/month. Should get it down to $120 in a few days. I've been keeping track for over six months.

I go to a place called Ten-Box and picked up t-bone for $4.97 a pound.

2022-05-16.png

That's pretty good...

I enjoy the best of both; cheap food and good nutrition. Currently my food cost is $124/month. Should get it down to $120 in a few days. I've been keeping track for over six months.

A month??

How do you maintain a healthy caloric intake for so little?

A month??

How do you maintain a healthy caloric intake for so little?
I only weigh 145 lbs. so I don't need that much food. I have a very healthy digestive system, so I get the maximum nutrition from the food I eat. I choose nutrient dense foods and prepare/cook them myself.

But the reason my food costs are so low is that I set out to prove, if only to myself, that one can eat well on a budget.

Also, I have a pretty physical job and also workout several times a week.

Calories are the name of the game if you're working out, woodz.

And if you're really 145 lbs and doing that, you better start eatin, man.

Last edited:
$30 a week??? That can't right? Where do you shop and what do you buy?

Pro-Tip....If you need just milk get it at a convenience store.....Sure, it may be a dollar or two higher but that will be about all you will buy. ;)
I buy milk, eggs, butter, and bananas. at Kwik Trip as it's much cheaper than the supermarket I shop at.

Last edited:
$30 a week??? That can't right? Where do you shop and what do you buy?
I shop at an upscale supermarket and Kwik Trip. My food choices are,

Lean ground beef
Boneless ribeye steak (only occasionally)
Boneless chicken breasts.
Frozen cod or haddock fillets/Tartar sauce.
Eggs
1% Milk
WWBread
Potatoes
Bananas
Oranges
Carrots
Onions
Spaghetti/sauce
Buckwheat/Buttermilk pancake mix/syrup
Corn meal for homemade muffins.
Popcorn (I love popcorn).
Kwik Trip Classic Vanilla Donuts.
Whey protein supplement.
Including all seasonings and condiments.

I do have to add that I occasionally fast one day per week.

Last edited:
Oops, forgot,

Beans for bean soup.
Leeks for potato/leek soup.
Beef stew meat.
Corn Flakes (for snacking and breading)

I also stock up on these food items when they are on sale.

Last edited:

Publix has great customer service, but they are high. Have you tried Aldi's?

Forum List

Back