CDZ Great memories of the Bob Hope specials during Christmas time Vietnam.

beagle9

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2011

Great entertainment while waiting on that Turkey and Ham to finish cooking, especially for me it's watching it with my mother-in-law whose husband (my father-in-law), served proudly in Vietnam God rest his patriotic soul.

Thanks for the memories Bob Hope (she says), and hope everyone has a merry, merry Christmas.

BH always brought eye candy with him
As a good gesture of kindness, playfulness, gratitude, and love for the sacrifices given by the troops in such a hurrendous situation, yes even though the eye candy was part of it, it was all being done with character, decency, and in honor of those sacrifices given during the seemingly never ending tours of duty there.

God bless the great men and women of the armed services of our nation. May they be remembered forever in our minds, and in our nation.

It's amazing how decent everyone was in controlling their tendencies to riot or revolt in such a hurrendous war while in theater, but that wasn't who they were... As we can see these troops were there to do a job, get home, and continue on with the American dream after protecting a democratic freedom loving people in the world..

Meanwhile back here in the state's we had the likes of open communist cowards opposing our presence to represent liberty and freedom's for all those who wanted such things throughout the world.

The weak and feeble gullible minded wanted us to stay out of other nation's struggles for freedom's and liberty, but if we would have done that in our past triumphant historical times, there would be no America today.

Now due to the undermining of our resolve in wars going on back here, it placed tremendous pressures on political figures, and then it forced them to make tragic decisions over time that left the South Vietnamese vulnerable to it's communist enemies.

We gotta live with that, and it ain't something proud to live with as American's that's for sure.

Now we have the attacks on our own system's by the world/globalist, and sadly it's with help from the trojan horse that has been pushed into the highest corridor's of our government since that very time period.

So the war against world communism continues, even within our own borders now, but are we gaining ground or is it gaining ground ??

Last edited:
Merry Christmas or Happy holidays, Thanks for the few that still try and have a clean debate in these trying times.

Great entertainment while waiting on that Turkey and Ham to finish cooking, especially for me it's watching it with my mother-in-law whose husband (my father-in-law), served proudly in Vietnam God rest his patriotic soul.

Thanks for the memories Bob Hope (she says), and hope everyone has a merry, merry Christmas.

What an awesome guy he was! I used to go to one of his charity golf outings every year at the Thousand Oaks country club. What a wonderful event that was, almost every year one of the first people I would run into was Michael Landon. Another one of those good people in Hollwood. They just don't make them like that any more. Sure miss those types in the spot light. Andy Griffith was another one I was never fortunate enough to meet him though.

......he was a good guy for doing---and like stated, lots of babes.....I salute him!
..but it makes me think of the Apocalypse Now quote:
"The more they tried to make it just like home, the more they made everybody miss it.''''

I arrive over there in October of 1967. Saw him in December. Several of us flew into Bien Hoa by chopper to see the show at Long Binh. I was so far back in the crowd I could hardly see the show but they did have good sound so I could at least hear it.

...I bet those babes drove the guys crazy....I was on the USS Inchon and we were off Beirut /etc for about 30 days straight....so we had some entertainers come aboard .....we went crazy for the babes

Since the change to digital TV and dozens of new local channels, some stations here now run many of the old variety shows, a format that shows like The Voice, Idol, and especially AGT now use under a modified 'game show' gimmick. Watching the Ed Sullivan reruns is pretty interesting; it's AGT without the game show gimmick. Good stuff, and nor just from an historical perspective; new talent could find a national venue in those days. Amazing how few decent shows there are now with a zillion channels and a supposedly much larger market.

Not sure if anyone is interested in it but Amazon Video has a special of the specials:

1608954609998.png

Not sure if anyone is interested in it but Amazon Video has a special of the specials:

View attachment 433488

Youtube has something like that

Forum List

Back