Gray stain on teeth

Judie15

Rookie
Aug 4, 2017
Hey, my youngest daughter is 9 years old and she has been taking medications for more than a year for kidney disease. She is given diuretics and angiotensin. The doctor said that she got this due to systemic disease. She is also having urinary incontinence due to the kidney disease. The medications resulted in a gray stain on her teeth. She is being bullied at school due to this. I bought her tooth whitening strips, but it didn’t have much effect on her teeth. I thought of taking her for a tooth whitening procedure near our home, Burlington but the thing that is pulling me back is my ignorance in the matter whether such a procedure can be done for small kids. Isn’t it bad for their teeth? I can’t even take the slightest risk in her matter. I read cases where people got their lips burned during the procedure. I am afraid to take her after reading this. What can be done? Is there any thing which I can ask her to do at home? Please give me insight in this matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, my youngest daughter is 9 years old and she has been taking medications for more than a year for kidney disease. She is given diuretics and angiotensin. The doctor said that she got this due to systemic disease. She is also having urinary incontinence due to the kidney disease. The medications resulted in a gray stain on her teeth. She is being bullied at school due to this. I bought her tooth whitening strips, but it didn’t have much effect on her teeth. I thought of taking her for a tooth whitening procedure near our home, Burlington but the thing that is pulling me back is my ignorance in the matter whether such a procedure can be done for small kids. Isn’t it bad for their teeth? I can’t even take the slightest risk in her matter. I read cases where people got their lips burned during the procedure. I am afraid to take her after reading this. What can be done? Is there any thing which I can ask her to do at home? Please give me insight in this matter.
/----/ Sorry your child is sick. Take her to a Pediatric Dentist who will know the best treatment.

are these still baby teeth? the meds have caused this....

Tooth Discoloration Causes and Treatments

if they are baby teeth i would be more concerned about the meds doing this to the permanent tooth buds...
and you may wanna consider veneers if her permanent teeth are stained.....

i wish you both the best and no you are not wrong to be concerned with this....along with all the other worries....a mothers love and concern knows no bounds....

okay that sounded way too harsh.....cause you are simply hoping to help relieve any pain you can...i get that....the kids bullying her ....can you get their parents on your side? call and tell them what is going on?
if i got a call telling me my son was doing this....i would correct it.....the problem is people dont tell the parents of bullies that its happening....teaching children compassion is a hard thing

I think I would try to find a doctor that could specifically identify what is the cause of the systematic kidney failure.

I probably be asking if the meds are doing that to her teeth what other damage are they doing to the rest of her cells, bones, etc...?

Forum List

Back