Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

You are correct. My advice to you is to sell at a high price, the new owners will occupy it. Rentals will become a thing of the past. I have been a landlord and I know the deck is stacked against owners in favor of deadbeat tenants. It is unfortunate, but a few deadbeats are going to ruin it for responsible renters.
Rental costs are exploding around the country - 30%, 40%, 50%.

Good people can't afford to live indoors anymore.

This is a MASSIVE crisis.

Not a BASIC human right.

Also, likely major cooties.
It is housing, is it not? There is NOTHING in our founding documents that guarantees you housing. The guarantee is to provide you with opportunity and security which this country has always and continues to do. The government is not your parents nor do they have any parental responsibilities.

Rental costs are exploding around the country - 30%, 40%, 50%.

Good people can't afford to live indoors anymore.

This is a MASSIVE crisis.
Where was this concern when the democrats forced eviction moratoriums on landlords when the deadbeat tenants used the scamdemic to quit paying their rent? Those rental owners are people with rights and responsibilities too. They have to pay mortgages, taxes, insurance whether or not the deadbeats pay. After a year and a half of no rent, they should be able to recoup their losses. Personal responsibility is something that has died in the US. There is no free lunch--oops, I guess there is now and breakfast too. SMH.

That is nonsense. The value of anything is what the market will bear.
The country is facing multiple major housing crises:

1) Imminent eviction of millions & an explosion of homelessness as well as the violence & arson that will ensue & make the problem much worse.

2) 30% - 50% rental hikes around the country as landlords seek to recoup CovidScam losses on the backs of those who kept them afloat and are being *rewarded* with crippling rent increases they simply cannot afford.

3) A repeat of 1 above next year as the effect of 2 above occurs...

I believe the apartment is worth whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay. If you can't or don't want to pay that price----there's the door. Go find someone who will rent to you for what you want to pay. The world doesn't owe you anything.
Housing: A BASIC human right.

Except that is not how economics work.

If they are able to charge 1500 a month then that is what the property is worth. If you don't like the value proposition, don't rent the fucking house.

Homes in Seattle go for thousands of dollars a month for a shitty run down <1000 sq foot home. That is a crap value for me so I chose not to live there. 30 minuets away you can get a 2500 sq ft home for less than 2000 a month. A little further out and you are even better off. No one forces you to live in a specific location, you CHOSE that location.
The Seattle area is one of many where good people - nurses, teachers, caregivers, parents - can no longer afford rents skyrocketing by 30% to 50% even in places like Bellingham.

The "move further away" argument no longer works.

The ENTIRE COUNTRY is facing an affordable housing crisis.

The Seattle area is one of many where good people - nurses, teachers, caregivers, parents - can no longer afford rents skyrocketing by 30% to 50% even in places like Bellingham.

The answer to that is MOVE. No one is forcing you to stay in those high rent districts. If you move to Cle Elum or Wenatchee you can find housing that is reasonably priced.

housing IS a BASIC human right.

What does that even mean? I think we'd all agree you have a right to own a house. No one should be able to steal from your house, or be on your property without your permission. So, if that's what you mean, I'd totally agree. But I suspect what you really mean, when you call it a "right", is that the government should ensure everyone has decent housing. Which is an entirely different question.

I think the whole bread and circuses thing is a mistake. It gives government too much power. In particular, it gives them more control over the poor and, presumably, pacifies them. I think THAT's is the real reason for the welfare state, one that no one will say out loud.

Last edited:
The Seattle area is one of many where good people - nurses, teachers, caregivers, parents - can no longer afford rents skyrocketing by 30% to 50% even in places like Bellingham

You know what? They should just increase the minimum wage again so everyone can afford the higher rents. Problem solved. Where's my Nobel Prize?

Is your hair actually on fire?

The Seattle area is one of many where good people - nurses, teachers, caregivers, parents
The employers of those areas bear responsibility. If they are not paying wages that allow for housing, then they should, granted. Many employers when faced with similar circumstances have purchased housing to provide for their employees similar to what the military has always done and most colleges do. The government, my tax dollars have no responsibility to provide housing.

At my last job I had coworkers that drove 45 minutes or more to work and back every day. They didn't like the Cleveland area and opted for peace and quiet out in nearly crime-free towns. It was worth it to them.

As a landlord myself I just want to tell you that our prices reflect our costs. When you live in a place like Seattle or any commie town, cost of living is much higher, taxes are much higher, labor to have work done is much higher. Instead of trying to control rents, why not start voting the people out that actually created this environment?

Housing: A BASIC human right.

The US government for decades has provided housing. They are called projects, and anybody that doesn't make enough for their own housing can get into them. No, housing is not a right, but even if you think it is, suburban housing is not.

Forum List

Back