Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

Its not totally a rip off, but as a landlord, I can out bid first time home buyers because I have such a good credit rating, and I get all the tax breaks they can't get, like depreciation, write off all repairs and maintenance, etc.
Essentially I just have to put down the deposit, and then the tenant buys the home for me, and I get to greatly reduce the taxes I would have had to pay on my salary.
The tax breaks are so good, that until they changed the law, you could sell them to anyone who wanted to pretend to be an investor.
The laws now say you have to be a hands on landlord and not just a remote investor.
Do you do your own maintenance or hire someone?

It won’t be just rentals. They will take your property as well as all commercial properties. They can’t make everyone equal if you’re allowed to own your own home.
Do you actually and personally believe that bull$hit you're spewing or are you just saying it for effect? :rolleyes:

Bingo. It has more to do with "eviction moratoriums" and deadbeat renters who used it as an excuse to not pay their rent. I don't blame the landlords at all.
This.

I was thinking about renting out my home as I no longer need what I no longer have confidence that such a move is remotely a good idea.

With the eviction moratoriums and an already insane set of laws in my state to begin with it may just be asking to lose my home if I do so.

This.

I was thinking about renting out my home as I no longer need what I no longer have confidence that such a move is remotely a good idea.

With the eviction moratoriums and an already insane set of laws in my state to begin with it may just be asking to lose my home if I do so.
I have a friend who rents out a family home in Mass. I don't know if the rules are as bad in other states, but he got stuck with a "player" for several years before he could evict her. She knew all the ins and outs of the regs and was always threatening him with various forms of legal action. She never paid her rent on time and trashed the place. He finally caught her renting it out on Air BnB and was able to boot her because of that.

Last edited:
House beside me sold in 3 days of being listed. They idea that people aren't looking to buy isn't the condition on the ground today. Everybody looking to get those 2.5% mortgages while they still can.

Yes, if they can find a house somebody is selling. But unless a landlord wants to get out of the business for some reason, they are holding on to their rental property. I don't see rental property going down in price anytime soon. Then when they figured that thanks to the price of lumber today, it's an additional 36K on average for each new home built.

Yes, if they can find a house somebody is selling. But unless a landlord wants to get out of the business for some reason, they are holding on to their rental property. I don't see rental property going down in price anytime soon. Then when they figured that thanks to the price of lumber today, it's an additional 36K on average for each new home built.
I think lumber is being manipulated too. I live in lumber country and the mills here about have finished product packing their yards with more logs than they know what to do with. But what the hey, hold on to it and maybe the price will rise higher.

I think lumber is being manipulated too. I live in lumber country and the mills here about have finished product packing their yards with more logs than they know what to do with. But what the hey, hold on to it and maybe the price will rise higher.

There has been a huge demand for lumber since covid, and it just caught up to us this year. People who continued working were having homes built because of the low interest rate and those who were going nowhere were fixing up their current house or putting on an addition. That's because before covid, new home starts were hitting the ceiling. It was just a huge drain on the system.

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.” The National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI) says, “It is the government’s obligation to guarantee that everyone can exercise this right to live in security, peace, and dignity.” The book, In Defense of Housing argues against what it calls the commodification of housing, meaning the same thing: everyone is entitled to some kind of housing.

Prediction For 2030: A Government Take-Over of Rental Housing By Roger Valdez
Housing: Basic human right.

There has been a huge demand for lumber since covid, and it just caught up to us this year. People who continued working were having homes built because of the low interest rate and those who were going nowhere were fixing up their current house or putting on an addition. That's because before covid, new home starts were hitting the ceiling. It was just a huge drain on the system.
We are fortunate to live here on land with forest. When I need lumber I cut it down and mill it.

As the moratorium on evictions has expired, we're going to see the government get more involved in this.
Or watch the country explode in the worst rioting, arson & murder in its history.

You are up against the trump Nazis' stupidity, a force the GOP has employed for decades to steal the American Dream from the Middle Class.
Nope - that's just the excuse.

The oligarchy wants everyone (except their chosen few) as poor, miserable, scared & insucure as possible.

Neither criminal party wants The People to have BASIC human rights, and the oligarchy controls both parties.

So don't make this tribal.

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.” The National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI) says, “It is the government’s obligation to guarantee that everyone can exercise this right to live in security, peace, and dignity.” The book, In Defense of Housing argues against what it calls the commodification of housing, meaning the same thing: everyone is entitled to some kind of housing.

Prediction For 2030: A Government Take-Over of Rental Housing By Roger Valdez
Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed is more market friendly. Public sector intervention distorts market based metrics.

Forum List

Back