Government Take-Over of Rental Housing

In other words the Democrats are passing laws to prevent slumlord from screwing over their tenants and the Republicans are mad about it.

Nobody is screwing anybody. I have a place for rent for X money. You want to rent my unit for X money. We make a deal we are both happy with. If you don't like the deal, you are free to decline the offer. But if you accept the offer, how is anybody getting screwed?

I predict that we will see massive public housing projects like they have in Chicago and New York because we have seen what huge successes those have been.:rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

But that's not all they want unfortunately. Democrats ignore the simply theory that if you have 3/4 cup of fresh wholesome milk, and mix that with 1/4 cup of sour curdled milk, you only have one thing, and that is a cup of bad milk. The Democrat belief is that the good milk will change the bad and you end up with a cup of good milk. But the good never changes the bad.

So their theory is that if you build housing in wonderful great suburbs, move their lowlifes into those new rental units, they will become good people. It never works that way of course, but as we both know, Democrats are totally void of common sense.

Nobody is screwing anybody. I have a place for rent for X money. You want to rent my unit for X money. We make a deal we are both happy with
Landlords and apartment managers and maintenance personnel with keys.
If you don't like the deal, you are free to decline the offer. But if you accept the offer, how is anybody getting screwed?
Gun-grabbing landlords, security personnel on the take, and city cops planting evidence for parallel construction and all whistling the same tune in solidarity with the police union and the democrat party.

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.” The National Economic and Social Rights Initiative (NESRI) says, “It is the government’s obligation to guarantee that everyone can exercise this right to live in security, peace, and dignity.” The book, In Defense of Housing argues against what it calls the commodification of housing, meaning the same thing: everyone is entitled to some kind of housing.

Prediction For 2030: A Government Take-Over of Rental Housing By Roger Valdez

When government presumes responsibility for providing its "subjects", or when people talk about having their needs provided for as though it's right, liberty is in jeopardy. And that sure is happening.

3/4 cup of fresh wholesome milk, and mix that with 1/4 cup of sour curdled milk, you only have one thing, and that is a cup of bad milk
So there's a restaurant waitress who is roommates with a cleaning lady who has access to your kitchen at any hour of the day or night? And you owe her a tip for the privilege. Nice.

As the moratorium on evictions has expired, we're going to see the government get more involved in this.
Of course. Congress - government in general, but especially the federal legislature - has an insatiable appetite for power.

When government presumes responsibility for providing its "subjects", or when people talk about having their needs provided for as though it's right, liberty is in jeopardy. And that sure is happening.

That's why the author of this piece is pretty spot on. We started with the school lunch program. Then it was breakfast and lunch. Then it was breakfast, lunch and dinner. But then came the tragedy of what will kids do when school is out of session? So some areas opened up the school during summer to serve them food all day long year round.

Are you serious? Democrats would like nothing better than that, especially for higher paid executives, managers and particularly CEO"s.
Of course not. The democrats have been screaming for a $15 minimum wage all while advocating for limiting what housing can rent for. A maximum wage is no different. What would they say to an employer who said "Sorry dude, the government says you can only charge McD's $5 an hour to flip burgers?" It is the same as rent control. Wage and price controls were used to combat inflation during the Nixon administration--they didn't work then and they won't work now. It is completely contrary to the free market.

That's why the author of this piece is pretty spot on. We started with the school lunch program. Then it was breakfast and lunch. Then it was breakfast, lunch and dinner. But then came the tragedy of what will kids do when school is out of session? So some areas opened up the school during summer to serve them food all day long year round.
Whatever happened to parental responsibility--Oh yeah, that's racist.

Like health care or access to health care, those on the left are currently calling housing a “human right.”
An able bodied man — or even a woman — who has access to a hammer and nails, lumber, a few building materials shouldn't be considered "homeless."
Good grief man, you want guns to be a fundamental right but not food, a place to live, and basic healthcare?
Say a farmer plants grain, fruit trees, runs a few cattle, shouldn't be starving or at risk for failing to meet his own needs.

A gun is a gun pretty much everybody agrees on what that is whether they agree with it or not, but there's no universal agreement on what constitutes "basic Healthcare" or what sort of Healthcare is appropriate to force on patients, inmates, and subjects.

If landlords are "getting out of the market" by selling residential properties, it's because it's currently a seller's market with inflated property values. Thus, they're getting a better return on the investment property by selling it than by holding and renting. Enterprising investors will get back into the rental market on the other side of the bubble when they can pick up residential properties at much lower prices. That's the way the market works.

Has nothing to do with some feel-good desire to sell to people who want to make it their home. Lol. Altruism is not a factor in investments.

Thanks you for restating what I already posted, parrot.

I would say it's just the opposite, especially in desired neighborhoods. The last time I advertised was about six years ago in the middle of winter where I get very few replies. I came to my email the next day with at least a dozen, some even saying they will take the apartment sight unseen. Others offered me a double security deposit, and two people offered to pay more rent than I was asking for. In the 25 years I've been doing this, I never seen anything like it before. You would have thought I was offering beach side property in California for $400.00 a month.

When I selected my tenants, they thanked me profusely. They were on the search for an apartment for seven months. They said there were landlords that were charging 30% more than I was asking, getting half as much, and they still couldn't get the place.

After doing some research, I learned it was a trend across the country. The housing collapse played a part, but a larger part was younger people don't want to deal with home ownership any longer. They don't want to deal with a leaky roof, a defective hot water tank, taking care of the grass during the summer and driveway full of snow in the winter. If they do have a problem, they just want to make one phone call and problem solved.

As more and more of our younger people attend college and become less industrious, I don't see this reversing anytime soon. If anything, it will only grow worse for renters.

House beside me sold in 3 days of being listed. They idea that people aren't looking to buy isn't the condition on the ground today. Everybody looking to get those 2.5% mortgages while they still can.

House beside me sold in 3 days of being listed. They idea that people aren't looking to buy isn't the condition on the ground today. Everybody looking to get those 2.5% mortgages while they still can.
That and the fact that housing starts have not reached pre 2009 levels since. There is very little inventory and the population has increased over that 12 years. There are few markets in the country where the purchase price of a home isn't more than the asking price. Real estate is a hot commodity.

Good grief man, you want guns to be a fundamental right but not food, a place to live, and basic healthcare?

Sure, that is because once you have a gun, you can easily get food, housing, etc.

But seriously, I do actually agree with you, that there should be some sort of minimal safety net, like a field of tiny homes or something, and free cafeterias.

Nobody is screwing anybody. I have a place for rent for X money. You want to rent my unit for X money. We make a deal we are both happy with. If you don't like the deal, you are free to decline the offer. But if you accept the offer, how is anybody getting screwed?

Its not totally a rip off, but as a landlord, I can out bid first time home buyers because I have such a good credit rating, and I get all the tax breaks they can't get, like depreciation, write off all repairs and maintenance, etc.
Essentially I just have to put down the deposit, and then the tenant buys the home for me, and I get to greatly reduce the taxes I would have had to pay on my salary.
The tax breaks are so good, that until they changed the law, you could sell them to anyone who wanted to pretend to be an investor.
The laws now say you have to be a hands on landlord and not just a remote investor.

Forum List

Back