Gov. Tom Wolf (D-PA) vetos curriculum transparency bill, calling it a ‘dangerous and harmful imposition’

... if you were a teacher and understood the additional workload this creates, you would understand his position.
That's bullshit. Most course outlines, including textbooks used for a course, are already available online. Additional material that teachers may produce to supplement their lesson plans are almost all produced on a computer. At my school, we all put such materials in folders for other teachers to share, so it would be a simple matter to make a public folder added to the school website. No big "additional workload."

The only downside to posting all curricula online (wherever it isn't already) is that in the current political climate some nut would stay up all night, every night, smoking through three packs of cigarettes scouring the web for any mere mention of the word "slavery" then show up picketing outside some poor teacher's house.

..... There is no expectation of privacy in a public school classroom.

Actually, there is. If you ever bothered to visit a school in your local area to see if you really need to panic so much, you'd see that cameras are only placed in hallways, outside entrances/exits, and the like.

That's bullshit. Most course outlines, including textbooks used for a course, are already available online. Additional material that teachers may produce to supplement their lesson plans are almost all produced on a computer. At my school, we all put such materials in folders for other teachers to share, so it would be a simple matter to make a public folder added to the school website. No big "additional workload."
You likely never wrote a lesson plan in your entire career. In my school districts, ESL was "taught" by a paraprofessional in the classroom while regular education teachers taught the material.

My lesson plans were recorded by hand in a planning book, in pencil, so they could be easily changed. Computer generated lesson plans were only used for observations.

I sometimes taught 4 different classes during the day. How about you?

I often taught social studies and mathematics to multiple class periods. Imagine the difference in lesson plans for two diverse subjects like that.

No, I never did a lesson plan, but again, I'm not pretending to be a teacher

So you never did a curriculum? Never presented a curriculum to anyone? Was it a secret curriculum?
That's a stupid question! Our curriculum was dictated by the state standards and links posted on our school web page and in my course syllabus.

The constant updating of the instruction is where the increased workload falls.

I was not posting to you. God knows you couldn't teach a fish to swim!

I often taught social studies and mathematics to multiple class periods. Imagine the difference in lesson plans for two diverse subjects like that.

ESL, US History, World History, and Biology, depending on the day. You keep falling short of your goal here.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
I taught for 10 years in a huge school district in Florida. Our resident ESL population was quite unusual as the students were raised in households speaking Tagalog. Because of a nearby naval base (where I was stationed twice BTW) there was a significant Filipino population in my school alone.

As I said, ESL was handled by paraprofessionals, most of the time were monolingual at best. Unless they spoke Spanish or Tagolog, they were as useless as teats on a boar hog because the strategies they used simply did not work.

Forum List

Back