GOP seeks austerity

This is so simple Dimocrats can't possibly get it right.

You're in debt, lots of debt. You got that way by spending more than you earn year in and year out and borrowing in order to pay some of that debt or create more.

So, the very first baby step on the long road to fixing this huge mess is:

A) Cut back your spending.

B) Continue your spending rate as it's been for quite some time.

C) None of the above.

It's only paper airplane science.

Last edited:
stop being an idiot.

This is international economics NOT some fantasy land for cons

You're in debt, lots of debt. You got that way by spending more than you earn year in and year out and borrowing in order to pay some of that debt or create more.

C) None of the above.

It's not paper airplane science.

Can you read? The Republicans want to put the defense spending back IN the budget.

The Depression of 1920-21, for example.

Depression of 1920

it was NOT world wide and it was a post war drop.

that is why it was so short lived

Government response

Instead of “fiscal stimulus,” Harding cut the government's budget nearly in half between 1920 and 1922. The rest of Harding's approach was equally laissez-faire.

Tax rates were slashed for all income groups. The national debt was reduced by one-third. The Federal Reserve's activity, moreover, was hardly noticeable. As one economic historian puts it, “Despite the severity of the contraction, the Fed did not move to use its powers to turn the money supply around and fight the contraction.”2 By the late summer of 1921, signs of recovery were already visible.

The following year, unemployment was back down to 6.7 percent and was only 2.4 percent by 1923.'

Warren Harding and the Forgotten Depression of 1920 by Thomas E. Woods, Jr.

Now you know.

C) None of the above.

It's not paper airplane science.

Can you read? The Republicans want to put the defense spending back IN the budget.

They should up the cutting to 1T with nothing off limits; everything should get sliced.

[A day after voters in France and Greece toppled governments in a European backlash against austerity measures, Republicans moved forward with legislation to replace $78 billion in automatic spending cuts to defense and discretionary domestic spending with a much larger $261 billion cut focused only on domestic spending.

Right out of the script I laid out awhile back. The Republicans don't want shared sacrifice; they want partisan sacrifice.

Their 'austerity' plan exempts their benefactors, ie., the Rich, the defense lobby, the oil lobby, etc.,

from making sacrifices. The sacrifices and belt tightening fall on Democratic constituencies.

well then you democrats gotta stop sucking the teat dry and put some milk money in the pot..

The reality is austerity (otherwise known as living within your means) is going to be a reality for most of the world. It will happen if it is controlled and managed, or imposed by external forces.

It will happen here when China says no more money. We will no longer finance a bloated government.

Last edited:
Depression of 1920

Government response

Instead of “fiscal stimulus,” Harding cut the government's budget nearly in half between 1920 and 1922. The rest of Harding's approach was equally laissez-faire.

Tax rates were slashed for all income groups. The national debt was reduced by one-third. The Federal Reserve's activity, moreover, was hardly noticeable. As one economic historian puts it, “Despite the severity of the contraction, the Fed did not move to use its powers to turn the money supply around and fight the contraction.”2 By the late summer of 1921, signs of recovery were already visible.

The following year, unemployment was back down to 6.7 percent and was only 2.4 percent by 1923.'

Now you know.

Thomas Woods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the guy is an austrian school libertarian

He is not unbiased

Bring on the austerity.

Obama's going to get crushed in November.....

People like Lugar go away.

Those on welfare had better be thinking about getting jobs.

They are out there.

Okay, I am not sure how many times we (tax paying Americans) have to say this so even YOU understand it, but I'll try it one more time.

The United States government STEALS from me at the rate of 20 to 25% of everything I make (that doesn't include the state and local THIEVERY). Actually, there are some cases where they tax me on a dollar and then turn around and tax me again. But I digress. So for every hour that I work, I am actually working 15 minutes to pay for this government, it's excesses, and the parties that GSA needs to have in Hawaii.

No more. Do you understand those two simple little words? That's enough. Not one more dime in taxes. Not one more minute of work dedicated to the piss-ignorant, self-serving, incompetent, bunch of government beaurocrats that sit around and live off of my dime. Also, I want you to know that as always, I have instructed both Senators and my Representative that what ever they have to do, they should block, obstruct, fillibuster, or do what ever is necessary to stop Barry's agenda. Since my Senators are Tom Coborn and James Inhofe and my Representative is Tom Sullivan, I think they are onboard with those instructions.

When a mother and father sit at the kitchen table and they have $100 to spend, they do not have the luxury of 'borrowing' from the Chinese. Barry and his cronies have borrowed 6 TRILLION dollars since he came to office...

Austerity... If I have my say, you bet!

Funny, Germany is the most successful part of Europe............austerity was their answer. The problem is the people of most of the other countries aren't willing to give up their freebies, the German folks realize the importance of cut backs and less spending during tough times.

Remember the French and Greeks were up in arms because they couldn't retire at 61 and receive unfunded benefits. I'll be watching and waiting til they bottom out.

The reality is austerity (otherwise known as living within your means) is going to be a reality for most of the world. It will happen if it is controlled and managed, or imposed by external forces.

It will happen here when China says no more money. We will no longer finance a bloated government.

Nope guess what would happen to Chinas economy without the US to buy shit?

Funny, Germany is the most successful part of Europe............austerity was their answer. The problem is the people of most of the other countries aren't willing to give up their freebies, the German folks realize the importance of cut backs and less spending during tough times.

Remember the French and Greeks were up in arms because they couldn't retire at 61 and receive unfunded benefits. I'll be watching and waiting til they bottom out.

Oh really how about the swiss?

It won't be long before the Greeks will let people die quickly...so they can eat them.

That place is a mess.

Maybe we should send them some Turkey !

Nope guess what would happen to Chinas economy without the US to buy shit?

They have a lot of internal momentum.

Get a clue...clueless.

Depression of 1920

Government response

Now you know.

You're actually going to use libertarian economic work to prove a point? :lmao:

You're, without any doubt, extremely dizzy. Even if i happen to agree. You don't much agree with yourself.

Government response

Now you know.

You're actually going to use libertarian economic work to prove a point? :lmao:

Of course!

Fiscal conservatism is closely aligned, and it is the reason we admire somebody such as Ron Paul.

Forum List

Back