GOP on the move: What would big gains in 2022 and 2024 look like?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
I'm generally not into prediction-making, but it sure does seem that the GOP is going to be having their way in 2022 and perhaps 2024. Given how fired up their base remains, that will include at the state and local level in many cases. If that does happen, they'll continue to change election laws in their favor, giving them more future control (and success) at the state and local levels.

Let's make that assumption for the sake of conversation. American again lurches to the Right. Looking at this from a macro perspective, that would mean that we would once again withdraw from the world and our allies, and that our domestic policies would be far more you're-on-your-own and what's-in-it-for-me.

I can only assume that the GOP thinks this situation will win them more voters, or at least enough to leverage the election system they will have changed. So:
  • Is that possible? Will they be able to change minds? Would they be able to finally convince people that they're right?
  • Will not enough Americans really care one way or the other, frustrated with both parties?
  • Will the GOP go too far, again, (as both parties love to do) causing yet enough lurch in the opposite direction?
  • How would the rest of the world view us, as it continues to change and increase in prosperity and influence? (Yes, I realize the GOP isn't concerned about this one)
  • Would there be an increased danger of a significant social backlash due to their policies, and what might that look like?

dbap35y-2afbe33d-1aff-43a0-985c-8d511128e14d.png

I'm generally not into prediction-making, but it sure does seem that the GOP is going to be having their way in 2022 and perhaps 2024. Given how fired up their base remains, that will include at the state and local level in many cases. If that does happen, they'll continue to change election laws in their favor, giving them more future control (and success) at the state and local levels.

Actually, here's how it's going to play out.

The GOP will make gains in 2022 because the out of power party always does.

They will then do exactly what they did in 1995 and 2011- proceed to remind us all of how crazy they are and why we threw them out of office to start with... and Americans will be damned glad we have Joe Biden to contain their crazy. Clinton became more popular when he stood up to Newt, and Obama became more popular when he stood up to Boehner and Ryan.

Congress (house and senate) is pretty much a given.....Depending on the breaks.

It's in the statehouse elections where the rubber will meet the road....Put states like PA back into gop control and 2024 is a lot easier of a win.

Go to the polls for your state and just pick-up the congress critters on the down ballot. Flipping states is the real prize. ;)

The GOP is going to get MASSIVE turnout, not only in national elections, but in state and local elections. They're saving America from from evil Hitler commies and their guaranteed concentration camp tyranny. That's some pretty freakin' intense motivation right there.

The Dems? Their support among minorities is beginning to fray, and many of their voters are frustrated as hell. Voting "against" something may not be enough to get them to the polls in the future. That gets old.

Last edited:
This is to be expected. The Presidents party takes a beating during the midterms as a rule with few exceptions.

This is to be expected. The Presidents party takes a beating during the midterms as a rule with few exceptions.
It's the size/scope of the beating that counts.....If it bleeds over into the statehouses even in a better than moderate way then the dems better be "lookin' for answers" for 2024......That "answer" is neither Tater or the Whore.

It's the size/scope of the beating that counts.....If it bleeds over into the statehouses even in a better than moderate way then the dems better be "lookin' for answers" for 2024......That "answer" is neither Tater or the Whore.

Don't bet on it. In 2016 the Republicans had the White House, the Senate and the House and lost all three but still many look to Trump. We never learn.

Oh it's the same old rinse and repeat cycle sure enough. I just enjoy the wailing and the rending of garments from the left. ;)

They do but 1/6 didn't happen? There wasn't millions of dollars spent trying to overturn the 2020 election?

They do but 1/6 didn't happen? There wasn't millions of dollars spent trying to overturn the 2020 election?

I cared shit-all about the disturbance at the capital other than a woman was murdered in cold blood and those self-serving lawyers did not get a nickel from me so both are non-issues from where I stand.

Meh, in fact I moved on from all of that pretty quick, mainly out of the necessity to defeat the dems in my state this past November.

We did not have a lot of time to dwell on the stolen election....But we did not forget and the participation rate showed it. ;)

revenge.jpg

I cared shit-all about the disturbance at the capital other than a woman was murdered in cold blood and those self-serving lawyers did not get a nickel from me so both are non-issues from where I stand.

Meh, in fact I moved on from all of that pretty quick, mainly out of the necessity to defeat the dems in my state this past November.

We did not have a lot of time to dwell on the stolen election....But we did not forget and the participation rate showed it. ;)

View attachment 608031

Is this about you singularly?

Is this about you singularly?
Yep, and 100s of thousands of other Virginians.....We took it to the dems by setting our push cart of narratives to the side of the road and getting busy to defeat the dems. Hopefully we will complete the task in 2023 by taking back our state senate.

The right-leaning, meh, we just remember the way things went down in 2020 and won't ever forget.

The dems created the weather so they should not bitch when it rains down upon them.

Yep, and 100s of thousands of other Virginians.....We took it to the dems by setting our push cart of narratives to the side of the road and getting busy to defeat the dems. Hopefully we will complete the task in 2023 by taking back our state senate.

The right-leaning, meh, we just remember the way things went down in 2020 and won't ever forget.

The dems created the weather so they should not bitch when it rains down upon them.

(R)'s had the White House, Senate and House in 2020. What did they do with that? They failed at overturning Obamacare and boom, lost the House and then the Senate and White House.

The Democrats did the same thing under Obama, which is what this thread is about.

(R)'s had the White House, Senate and House in 2020. What did they do with that? They failed at overturning Obamacare and boom, lost the House and then the Senate and White House.

The Democrats did the same thing under Obama, which is what this thread is about.
Ryan/McCain & Co. were pissed that Trump won and worked at cross purposes against him and were punished for it.

Had they played ball with Halfrican Care and mort importantly The Wall funding their losses might not have been half as bad. Lots of right-leaning folks simply stayed home. I did not vote for my congress-critter that go-round and like his buddy Ryan, he bailed.

The wall funding was particularly galling to the right-leaning because if the GOP wanted to, they could have passed it by going through the reconciliation procedure and passed the funding with 50% + 1. But no, they had to play their little fuck-fuck games and you see what that got us.

Ryan/McCain & Co. were pissed that Trump won and worked at cross purposes against him and were punished for it.

Had they played ball with Halfrican Care and mort importantly The Wall funding their losses might not have been half as bad. Lots of right-leaning folks simply stayed home. I did not vote for my congress-critter that go-round and like his buddy Ryan, he bailed.

The wall funding was particularly galling to the right-leaning because if the GOP wanted to, they could have passed it by going through the reconciliation procedure and passed the funding with 50% + 1. But no, they had to play their little fuck-fuck games and you see what that got us.

You can make all the excuses you want but none of it disputes anything I've said.

I'm only really fluent in the politics of my own state.

We were not that long ago a purple-ish state...a bellweather they called us. "As goes Missouri... so goes the country."

Over the last 20 years, while it seems like we've moved further and further to the right... in actual fact the left has moved further to the left.

Now we are to the point Democrats don't bother to run for local positions.

This isn't my county... but it's one similar to mine...

Screenshot_20220227-104120.png

There are three more Republicans that didn't make it on this screen...versus one no name Democrat.

Senator Roy Blunt (R-MO) is retiring leaving an open seat in the November election.

The top three most popular Democrats have in the state... Jason Kander, Claire McCaskill and our very popular two term Democrat former Governor Jay Nixon ... have all opted out of the running. The Democrats bench is so shallow... that's all there is.

Missouri went Trump by 15 points in 2020.

Democrats in are in the wilderness in my state... and judging by their continuing lurching leftward they're going to be there for a long... long time...

Forum List

Back