Good news...more guns sold in California in 2014...gun murder rate down, gun accident rate down...

The gun range industry is shrinking and surveys say it is down. I've never seen any evidence ownership is up. My personal experience is that it is down also.

I have a buddy who own a private gun manufacturing company that sells nationwide, and I assure you sales are UP, way UP.

Yes sales are up. Just not to new owners. It's the same people buying more guns, not new owners.

and you know this how

Surveys, the gun range industry is down, personal experience... I've not seen any evidence to suggest ownership is up.

Brain....you should know better than to trust anti gunners.....they can never, ever be trusted....for example...from the article...

Over the last six years the GSS survey implies that legal gun ownership has fallen in Illinois, but FOID cards, which are necessary to legally own a gun, have been rising.

Whereas a few years ago, 1.2 million Illinoisans held Firearm Owners Identification cards, the number has jumped to 1.6 million, state police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. Soon after the court decreed in December that Illinois couldn’t ban public carry anymore, demand for FOID cards jumped precipitously. In January alone, Bond reported, there were 61,000 FOID applications, nearly double the 31,000 in January 2012. . . .

The 1.2 million FOID card holders appear to be true for 2009. From the Illinois State Police we have these data:

2010 1,316,508

2011 1,395,114

2012 1,476,408

9/6/2013 1,633,039

The gun range industry is shrinking and surveys say it is down. I've never seen any evidence ownership is up. My personal experience is that it is down also.

I have a buddy who own a private gun manufacturing company that sells nationwide, and I assure you sales are UP, way UP.

Yes sales are up. Just not to new owners. It's the same people buying more guns, not new owners.

That is anti gun talking points.......and with the ranges.....there are more ranges opening here in Illinois....but one range can cover a lot of territory and a lot of occasional shooters...

Well I provided a link showing they are down nationwide. You have a link? My area has been the same number of ranges for 20 years. And I've been the only one there multiple times.

That is anti gun talking points.......and with the ranges.....there are more ranges opening here in Illinois....but one range can cover a lot of territory and a lot of occasional shooters...
Maybe Brain isn't a liar.
Maybe he's simply ignorant - and likes it that way.

Brain....you should know better than to trust anti gunners.....they can never, ever be trusted....for example...from the article...

Over the last six years the GSS survey implies that legal gun ownership has fallen in Illinois, but FOID cards, which are necessary to legally own a gun, have been rising.

Whereas a few years ago, 1.2 million Illinoisans held Firearm Owners Identification cards, the number has jumped to 1.6 million, state police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. Soon after the court decreed in December that Illinois couldn’t ban public carry anymore, demand for FOID cards jumped precipitously. In January alone, Bond reported, there were 61,000 FOID applications, nearly double the 31,000 in January 2012. . . .

The 1.2 million FOID card holders appear to be true for 2009. From the Illinois State Police we have these data:

2010 1,316,508

2011 1,395,114

2012 1,476,408

9/6/2013 1,633,039

That sounds valid for IL, but I'm talking the nation. Any other states have similar cards?

If ownership was up ranges would be doing great business, they are shrinking because ownership is down.
Shooting Ranges in the US Market Research IBISWorld

You have never given any evidence that it is up, surveys disagree with you.
Reality disagrees with your flailing "logic":

Gun ownership surges to 39 ending 4-decade slump WashingtonExaminer.com

The slow drop-off of households owning guns has ended, rebounding in a new poll to 39 percent, up five points from the latest survey.

A new Economist/YouGov poll said that nearly 4 in 10 American households have guns, with 56 percent claiming not to have one.

That is a sizable uptick from the four-decade drop in household ownership charted by the authoritative General Social Survey. It pegged household gun ownership at 50 percent in the 1970s, 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s, and down to 35 percent in the 2000s. The latest 2012 statistics put the share of households with guns at 34 percent.

The next General Social Survey is set for release this year. It is funded by the government through the National Science Foundation. Considered more reliable than phone surveys, gun advocates say that surveys like those conducted by Economist/YouGov are more timely and are capturing the shift in the nation's view of personal weapons.​

If ownership was up ranges would be doing great business, they are shrinking because ownership is down.
Shooting Ranges in the US Market Research IBISWorld

You have never given any evidence that it is up, surveys disagree with you.
Reality disagrees with your flailing "logic":

Gun ownership surges to 39 ending 4-decade slump WashingtonExaminer.com

The slow drop-off of households owning guns has ended, rebounding in a new poll to 39 percent, up five points from the latest survey.

A new Economist/YouGov poll said that nearly 4 in 10 American households have guns, with 56 percent claiming not to have one.

That is a sizable uptick from the four-decade drop in household ownership charted by the authoritative General Social Survey. It pegged household gun ownership at 50 percent in the 1970s, 49 percent in the 1980s, 43 percent in the 1990s, and down to 35 percent in the 2000s. The latest 2012 statistics put the share of households with guns at 34 percent.

The next General Social Survey is set for release this year. It is funded by the government through the National Science Foundation. Considered more reliable than phone surveys, gun advocates say that surveys like those conducted by Economist/YouGov are more timely and are capturing the shift in the nation's view of personal weapons.​

Interesting here is another link:
Section 3 Gun Ownership Trends and Demographics Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

They seem to be suggesting down from the 90s but maybe up slightly now from lows?

And the gun range idea is wrong Brain....Chicago and Washington D.C. won't allow gun stores, let alone ranges to be built....and just in my area one gun store/range expanded it's size and one opened about 2 years ago and a new one just started advertising on the radio in the Chicago area......the demand is there, the anti gunners just refuse to let them be built....

And the gun range idea is wrong Brain....Chicago and Washington D.C. won't allow gun stores, let alone ranges to be built....and just in my area one gun store/range expanded it's size and one opened about 2 years ago and a new one just started advertising on the radio in the Chicago area......the demand is there, the anti gunners just refuse to let them be built....

I still think gun ranges are an important sign of gun ownership. I sure hope people aren't buying guns and thinking they can use them with never shooting. Maybe you have more interest near you, but it's not growing near me and according to the link it is down nationally.

In rural areas, people shoot on their own land. No need for a range unless they want to take a CCW class.

Yes but fewer and fewer people are rural. If ownership was really up there would be more ranges, not fewer.

try building a new range Brain....try building a new range In a lefty city like Chicago, New York or Washington D.C.........the demand is there, they are just kept from filling it.....

try building a new range Brain....try building a new range In a lefty city like Chicago, New York or Washington D.C.........the demand is there, they are just kept from filling it.....

There are lots of places that are gun friendly. Those cities have probably never had ranges, people go outside the city. The number of ranges is going down.

Never mind that the number of guns ranges is an invalid standard.
Don't let the lying troll take you down his road.

Sorry but if ownership was up we would have more ranges or the ones we have would be doing more business. Instead there are fewer ranges and the ones we have aren't doing well. You have some evidence ownership is up? Or you just going to continue to talk stupid? Seems you just argue from emotion.

If they could, they would...in a heart beat.....and if they can get one more lefty on the Supreme Court they will go after guns again...and they are stacking the lower courts with anti gun judges......so they will take what they can when they can....

If they could, they would...in a heart beat.....and if they can get one more lefty on the Supreme Court they will go after guns again...and they are stacking the lower courts with anti gun judges......so they will take what they can when they can....

I'm not sure where you have been, but laws have been going the opposite way of taking. Even with a horrible tragedy they couldn't pass gun control that wouldn't take a single gun. Don't be so paranoid.

Forum List

Back