Gone with the wind gone

My mom and I always made it an event when they would show it on the television once a year. We would make fun drinks, snacks, and, watch the whole thing. Some of my favorite memories as kid are watching this movie with her. We did the same for The Ten Commandments and The Wizard of Oz.

First they got Elmer Fudd shotgun now Gone with the wind is being pulled look out to Kill a Mockingbird you might be next.
HBO Max Removes 'Gone With the Wind'
I've heard about the Elmer Fudd nonsense...supposedly they're replacing his shotgun with a sythe of all things. Hell, that's more violent and brutal than killing Bugs with a quick ending shotgun. Stupidity has entered the cartoon world.
As for Gone With The Wind....Hattie McDaniel was the FIRST black actor/actress to win an Oscar for her performance in that film. That was a black actress milestone at the Oscars. So, in that aspect, the film stands out. The negative aspect of the films of that era are that whenever you would see blacks on the screen, they were mostly depicted in the roles of servants, thus diminishing the contributions they have made to the American society.

Do we contextualize Schindler's List? Birth of a Nation is banned.

Schindler's List is historically accurate. As much as I despise Zionists, even I'll admit, that shit really happened and it was bad. (It's just not a excuse for badly treating the Palestinians.)

Nobody has "Banned" Birth of a Nation. You can see it any time you want and you have three hours to kill. Heck, you can find it on YouTube, it's practically Public Domain.

Cripes the left loons are social sterlizing movies and even cartoons

Someone make it stop!
No. We need to cleanse you shit stain racists from the fabric of everyday life. If I want to see your kind I will go to a museum.

Fck off, Lips. How's that?

I'll watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it.

Dumb shit never heard of TOR sites.

Now sit the fuck down

Oh wait..... where da white wimens at!!!!??? Deluded moron
I could give a fuck what your lice infested ass watches. I said we need to remove you shit stains from the fabric of everyday life.

I'm a network engineer so of course I've heard of TOR sites. I shut down access to them regularly.

Da white wimmens out there marching for BLM.

bald2.jpg
Never forget...in the end its about trust. To be knifed in the back is not fun.

For instance the scene where Rhett pretty much rapes Scarlet).
Guess she liked it rough.
View attachment 349518

I think that was the problem, that it showed her as being happy with what was pretty clearly a marital rape.
I don't disagree with your perspective. If it were a movie made today, I'd be a lot more touchy about it. When I saw GWTW for the first time, it was in the 60's and I was 12. And the attitudes about men and women relationships hadn't changed all that much yet. Hell, I was still doing everything I could to hide my good grades from the boys, because no one wanted to ask a girl smarter than them on a date.

And you'll probably take this the wrong way, but sometimes when you are a powerful woman, it's nice to meet your match, someone as able as you to hand out the shit, an equal. Rhett and Scarlett were both powerful people. They fought like powerful people. He won that round and he obviously didn't hurt a hair on her thick head. I don't recall anything in that movie that leads me to believe they were in a typical patriarchal relationship.

Did they really take away Elmer Fudd's gun? Isn't that a copyright issue?

Almost all the violence in those Looney Tunes cartoons was critters not humans, like Coyote and Roadrunner, Sylvester and Tweety, Foghorn Leghorn.... but they were all violent. And we loved them.

I don't disagree with your perspective. If it were a movie made today, I'd be a lot more touchy about it. When I saw GWTW for the first time, it was in the 60's and I was 12. And the attitudes about men and women relationships hadn't changed all that much yet. Hell, I was still doing everything I could to hide my good grades from the boys, because no one wanted to ask a girl smarter than them on a date.

And you'll probably take this the wrong way, but sometimes when you are a powerful woman, it's nice to meet your match, someone as able as you to hand out the shit, an equal. Rhett and Scarlett were both powerful people. They fought like powerful people. He won that round and he obviously didn't hurt a hair on her thick head. I don't recall anything in that movie that leads me to believe they were in a typical patriarchal relationship.

I would say that the relationship in the movie is actually dysfunctional. She is in love with someone else and he only sees her as a trophy. Even leaving aside the whole issue of how this movie whitewashes slavery and glorifies the Confederacy, the people in it are kind of awful. All of them.

Almost all the violence in those Looney Tunes cartoons was critters not humans, like Coyote and Roadrunner, Sylvester and Tweety, Foghorn Leghorn.... but they were all violent. And we loved them.
Yes they did ironically though Wylie E Coyote can still purchase any dangerous and deadly thing he wants from ACME.

They own the copyright...

Of course, they are updating the characters. I think the real problem is that Elmer himself is kind of a problem, because he represents a time when Hunting was a middle class, sophisticated hobby. Although I would say that his cartoons are really "anti-hunting", today hunting is the hobby of rednecks and is not considered terribly urbane.

Schindler's List is historically accurate. As much as I despise Zionists, even I'll admit, that shit really happened and it was bad. (It's just not a excuse for badly treating the Palestinians.)

Nobody has "Banned" Birth of a Nation. You can see it any time you want and you have three hours to kill. Heck, you can find it on YouTube, it's practically Public Domain.
You admit it’s accurate? You feeling OK?

I would say that the relationship in the movie is actually dysfunctional. She is in love with someone else and he only sees her as a trophy. Even leaving aside the whole issue of how this movie whitewashes slavery and glorifies the Confederacy, the people in it are kind of awful. All of them.
No, he loves her and he admires her and he respects her, he tries everything he knows to help her, and she jacks him around like the unthinking narcissistic bitch she is. Yes, the people are flawed. That's part of what makes it more than a two dimensional movie. If you think it's bad in the movie, you should read the book.

Dysfunctional? Sure.
I remember having to hide my mouth behind my hand while listening to a history professor teaching us in Humanities that Heathcliff and Catherine had a dysfunctional, psychotic relationship, they're both nuts, etc etc.
Honestly. You guys trying to mansplain romance. lol

They own the copyright...

Of course, they are updating the characters. I think the real problem is that Elmer himself is kind of a problem, because he represents a time when Hunting was a middle class, sophisticated hobby. Although I would say that his cartoons are really "anti-hunting", today hunting is the hobby of rednecks and is not considered terribly urbane.
I honestly didn't realize Merrie Melodies was still around.

This is true....

What would you do in Israel’s shoes?

Actually, the first thing I wouldn't do is say, "Hey, these guys tried to kill us, let's go to someone else's part of the world, steal their land, and then give them a darned good reason to want to kill us. Here's a crazy idea, let's go to a place where they won't try to kill us."

You didn't answer the question. Typical for you.

Forum List

Back