Ghost Guns

It would be nice if you accepted that gun bans are not the answer instead of just disregarding well thought out responses.
gunfree.jpg

My daughter was talking about a Ghost Gun earlier today. I had never heard of one, so I asked her about it. Here is what she told me:
She said it's a gun kit that can be ordered on the internet. Once the person gets the kit, they put the gun together using the enclosed instructions. There is no serial number on these guns, so if it is used to hurt or kill somebody, it can't be traced.
Also, the kits come in pistol sizes, up to long gun sizes.

This is insane. How can buying gun kits on the internet be legal?

Welcome to America; inhale deeply the scent of our near boundless freedom. Manufacturing one's own firearm has been legal for eons. Most folks who indulge such freedom do so for perfectly benevolent reasons such as the challenge it presents (more on that to follow), a shared, bonding activity with a son or daughter, gun education (no better way to learn about firearms than to build one, and perhaps to remain OFF government firearm registries to avoid possible future confiscation efforts.

Now, about the CHALLENGE of putting together such a gun kit, the proper term for which is 80% Firearm Kit. Ghost Gun is a politically charged term used to frighten non gun owners. So, in order to finish such a firearm kit one must be in possession of very specific and often expensive power or power bench tools and also possess some degree of mechanical aptitude. Regardless of any included directions the weapon to be completed must be machined to tight specifications if one plans to have a functioning firearm at the end.

At the end of day, however, a fellow American's firearm ownership is none of your business. Keep that in mind.

Welcome to America; inhale deeply the scent of our near boundless freedom. Manufacturing one's own firearm has been legal for eons. Most folks who indulge such freedom do so for perfectly benevolent reasons such as the challenge it presents (more on that to follow), a shared, bonding activity with a son or daughter, gun education (no better way to learn about firearms than to build one, and perhaps to remain OFF government firearm registries to avoid possible future confiscation efforts.

Now, about the CHALLENGE of putting together such a gun kit, the proper term for which is 80% Firearm Kit. Ghost Gun is a politically charged term used to frighten non gun owners. So, in order to finish such a firearm kit one must be in possession of very specific and often expensive power or power bench tools and also possess some degree of mechanical aptitude. Regardless of any included directions the weapon to be completed must be machined to tight specifications if one plans to have a functioning firearm at the end.

At the end of day, however, a fellow American's firearm ownership is none of your business. Keep that in mind.
Change that to "Inhale deeply the coming destruction of America as we know it" and you'll be closer to the truth.
America's love affair with guns is not going to turn out well.

Change that to "Inhale deeply the coming destruction of America as we know it" and you'll be closer to the truth.
America's love affair with guns is not going to turn out well.

You are free to form and hold any opinion you like on any topic under the sun. America is a very special place in that regard. I can understand quite readily why guns worry or scare certain Americans. I would encourage you and others like you who fear firearms to attend local gun safety and other gun education courses which could ease your mind somewhat on the matter.

Have any of you folks heard of Chris Hedges? He is an intellectual, writer and college professor. He's not a Democrat or Republican; he criticizes both parties.
Anyway, he spoke recently on the strong attachment American men have to their guns.
Why is this? Do guns help boost your manhood?

My daughter was talking about a Ghost Gun earlier today. I had never heard of one, so I asked her about it. Here is what she told me:
She said it's a gun kit that can be ordered on the internet. Once the person gets the kit, they put the gun together using the enclosed instructions. There is no serial number on these guns, so if it is used to hurt or kill somebody, it can't be traced.
Also, the kits come in pistol sizes, up to long gun sizes.

This is insane. How can buying gun kits on the internet be legal?
Give me 10 minute at home Depot and a half hour at the house, I can build a gun with nothing but a hack saw and a hand drill that will fire 90 projectiles a minute.

All the items you mentioned are life enhancing conveniences.
Guns are a different story.
All the items you mentioned are life enhancing conveniences.
Guns are a different story.
Unless you don't have a butcher shop down the street and have to hunt for meat. Or if you as a relatively weak woman has to defend yourself against a predatory male who is larger and stronger than you. I'd say in those circumstances firearms are definitely life enhancing conveniences.

The AR-15 needs to be banned. Ghost guns need to be banned too. I doubt if I change my mind about this.
Why do AR-15s need to be banned? I can easily list a dozen more powerful and deadly rifles and one equally deadly that people like you never complain about. The Ruger Mini-14 fires the same round, uses magazines with the same capacity and operates basically the same way. The eighty year old M-1 Garand fires just as quickly can be reloaded even faster and fires a much more powerful round (the 30.06 has 3,306 foot pounds of energy at 2,500 feet per second) (the .223 has 1,301 foot pounds of energy at 2,750 feet per second). The AR-15 just looks scarier because it's black with plastic hand guards instead of grey with wooden stock and hand guards

The idea of a person being able to order a kit and make a gun capable of killing someone and that gun having no serial number bothers me.
Why? The WWII British Sten sub machine gun was designed to be made by anyone that has access to a lathe and hand tools and it's fully automatic. Afghan artisans were building AK-47s with hand tools in tents.
What is your problem about lacking a serial number anyway? Smart criminals grind off the serial numbers of their weapons. Serial numbers on guns weren't required until 1968.

Give me 10 minute at home Depot and a half hour at the house, I can build a gun with nothing but a hack saw and a hand drill that will fire 90 projectiles a minute.
So you wouldn't need the gun kit then. That would save you a lot of money.

Forum List

Back