Generic God Or A Specific One?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I need to start remembering which religion each of you belong to. I've had Christians cry that I only pick on Christians when the fact is, I try to use the other religions to prove to Christians just how dumb their religion is. I just assume they agree with me that the other religions are crap. But that's not even the case. We also have people who call themselves Christians but they don't believe non Christians are going to hell. So they are basically liberal cherry picking christian apologists. Then we have born agains who think even non born again christians are going to hell. You could be one of those. Or a Mormon who too thinks all other Christians are lost. And where are all the Muslims and Jews chiming in on their proof/reasons why God exists? Seems like most of the people on USMB either believe in Generic God, the Christian God or the Christian Light God.

What kind of Theist are you?

On our side we have two kinds of atheists. Agnostics who aren't sure and us who are pretty sure no god exists. Based on the evidence we see. Oh and by the way, how come theists don't get offended as much with Agnostics who basically aren't convinced after hearing all the evidence? Theists only seem to get mad when we determine what we are hearing is HORSE SHIT! LOL

Though Jewish by genetics, I'm secular humanist (if anything, I don't have a card saying I am like) if anything. Wouldn't say I'm atheist though, if evidence is presented I'm ever-eager to review it. If ever convincing irrefutable evidence is available I'll change my position like any fair-minded thinker.

I need to start remembering which religion each of you belong to. I've had Christians cry that I only pick on Christians when the fact is, I try to use the other religions to prove to Christians just how dumb their religion is. I just assume they agree with me that the other religions are crap. But that's not even the case. We also have people who call themselves Christians but they don't believe non Christians are going to hell. So they are basically liberal cherry picking christian apologists. Then we have born agains who think even non born again christians are going to hell. You could be one of those. Or a Mormon who too thinks all other Christians are lost. And where are all the Muslims and Jews chiming in on their proof/reasons why God exists? Seems like most of the people on USMB either believe in Generic God, the Christian God or the Christian Light God.

On our side we have two kinds of atheists. Agnostics who aren't sure and us who are pretty sure no god exists. Based on the evidence we see. Oh and by the way, how come theists don't get offended as much with Agnostics who basically aren't convinced after hearing all the evidence? Theists only seem to get mad when we determine what we are hearing is HORSE SHIT! LOL

Dear sealybobo
I am a Universalist and a Constitutionalist where I try my best to include all people's views equally.
I do believe in reaching an agreement in CHRIST or by conscience,
using free will and reason and applying the same faith in forgiveness as taught in Christianity.
I believe this will bring unity first in spirit among people coming together in heart and mind,
and then once we have unity on that level, we can organize politically by parties and diverse groups
to resovle each and every issue one by one, instead of lumping these together and attacking by party which is failing.

So I have the faith of a Christian and can express it and defend it that way when addressing fellow Christians.

I believe the same spirit of Truth and Justice that God and Jesus represents
also fulfill the Natural Laws in our Constitutional Principles and Ethics (including
Due process, right to petition to redress grievances, equal protection of the laws
from discrimination by creed, and consent of the governed by mediating conflicts to reach
a consensus especially where political or religious beliefs cannot be changed but must be
accommodated equally if we are going to enforce Constitutional equal protections and inclusion)

So the best way I can explain this is if you took the spirit of Christianity
but applied it to fulfilling Constitutional laws and including "all people under natural laws"
then that is what I believe in. Not everyone responds to the Bible and God taught that way.
But I have never met a human being who didn't believe in
* their free will or free choice and "free exercise of religion"
* their free speech and free press to petition for redress of grievances
* their right of assemble and association without being suppressed censored denied or attacked
* their right to equal protection of these rights and freedoms

The problem is people don't agree to defend these equally for others who attack and threaten them.
So that is where conflict resolution is necessary to prevent people from abridging each other's equal rights.

We keep expecting Govt or political leaders/parties to "protect this for us"
while we violate each other's rights by threatening to block their beliefs, and wonder why we get that
same reaction in return.

So mostly I focus on trying to establish mutual respect for due process
between people directly, and quit this business of accusing others as guilty or wrong
until proven right, which is backwards.

We all want to assume we are right until proven wrong, but don't extend the same courtesy
to others we assume are wrong until proven otherwise. That battle to establish some respect
for equal due process is the first step. If we can agree to work things out, then
there isn't a problem or conflict on this earth that we cannot take on and solve together.

We just have to quit fighting each other long enough to find what
we DO agree is a better solution, and all our resources can be focused there instead of fighting.

So I see this battle being fought locally, and if we can get
on the same team, then our diversity of approaches can work for us
instead of against us. Thus I believe in universal salvation,
in peace and justice for all, by correction, prevention and restitution
for all past problems and working together to build a sustainable future.

Thanks for being here and pushing in the right direction.
Towards higher truth and universal inclusion
that everyone can align with to help piece together solutions
that take all of contributing our best ideas and aspirations.

Good luck fitting that on a membership card. :)

Just use a really small font. :beer:

My position is that I have no data concerning the supernatural (by definition something outside the natural world) either way. I also have no evidence of any god(s) or other powers or forces at work in the natural world. I am agnostic, simply because I am unconvinced that god(s) were involved with the creation and operation of the universe. I am open to the possibility, but need evidence.

That said, based on the historical, archaeological, and scientific records, I see no reason to believe that the Jehovah/Jesus/Mohammed stories are any more real than any of the Odin/Ra/Zeus stories are.

Though Jewish by genetics, I'm secular humanist (if anything, I don't have a card saying I am like) if anything. Wouldn't say I'm atheist though, if evidence is presented I'm ever-eager to review it. If ever convincing irrefutable evidence is available I'll change my position like any fair-minded thinker.

So would I change my position! I still call myself an atheist.

I think a classic Christian or Muslim or Jew would call someone who says their beliefs have "no religious or spiritual basis" an atheist.

If yoiu are not an atheist, what part of god do you believe?

You are proving it's even harder than I thought to put anyone in a box. Even us atheists now are arguing what it means to not believe in god.

And if I got cancer tomorrow, I would not change my mind about their not being a god. I'm telling you in advance because who knows when I'm actually facing my own mortality if I'll turn into one of those people who wants to live so bad that I start praying to a god I should know doesn't exist. All that proves is you don't think rationally when faced with death.

I think a classic Christian or Muslim or Jew would call someone who says their beliefs have "no religious or spiritual basis" an atheist.

You are proving it's even harder than I thought to put anyone in a box. Even us atheists now are arguing what it means to not believe in god.

And if I got cancer tomorrow, I would not change my mind about their not being a god. I'm telling you in advance because who knows when I'm actually facing my own mortality if I'll turn into one of those people who wants to live so bad that I start praying to a god I should know doesn't exist. All that proves is you don't think rationally when faced with death.

My definition of atheism is: anti-theism. I'm not against theism. I just want proof 'theo' exists first. I don't think that's unreasonable. :)

Dear sealybobo
I am a Universalist and a Constitutionalist where I try my best to include all people's views equally.
I do believe in reaching an agreement in CHRIST or by conscience,
.[/QUOTE]

Like us liberals believed Obama was the guy, you righties need to realize that Jesus isn't the guy. Sorry. Like Mohammad his policies are too divisive and wrong.

This reminds me of when we first got Obama elected. We loved him. He killed Bin Ladin and fixed the economy. We couldn't see what the other side didn't like about him. Ultimately we had to accept that he is just too divisive of a character just like Jesus or Mohammad.

My definition of atheism is: anti-theism. I'm not against theism. I just want proof 'theo' exists first. I don't think that's unreasonable. :)

Well I see the history of religion and I don't think it's good for people.

Like us liberals believed Obama was the guy, you righties need to realize that Jesus isn't the guy. Sorry. Like Mohammad his policies are too divisive and wrong.

This reminds me of when we first got Obama elected. We loved him. He killed Bin Ladin and fixed the economy. We couldn't see what the other side didn't like about him. Ultimately we had to accept that he is just too divisive of a character just like Jesus or Mohammad.

????

1. First of all who are you calling "you righties"
Are you implying that only rightwing can believe in Jesus?

All the Quakers who fought for abolition were the CHRISTIAN LEFT.
Hello.....

Dolly Madison was a Christian Left Quaker Abolitionist
married to a slave owner James Madison who justified slavery and condoned it.

We have that same battle going on today:
many Christian Left are pushing for microlending and forgiving debts
in order to liberate people from poverty.

Don't forget there are many Democrats who are even more conservative
than I am, including Prolife Democrats while I am prochoice.

Seallybobo if you are callling me a rightie then we're really in trouble....

2. Also what is wrong with teaching that Jesus
means "Equal Justice for ALL"
"Restorative Justice"
"Peace and Justice" for all humanity

Are you saying that it is wrong for me to
teach and share this faith that all humanity
can receive lasting peace and justice
and be healed of past wrongs as we work together to solve our problems?

What is wrong with teaching JUSTICE with PEACE.

Can you tell me what is so bad about that, thanks!
I have NO PROBLEM teaching this is what Jesus means:
to EMBODY The spirit of truth peace and justice BY CONSCIENCE
so that WE the PEOPLE or the church body or the government
EMBRACE and ENFORCE the laws of Equal Justice for ALL.

Maybe one day we'll get it right.

I don't like religion for these reasons. Do you agree?

• Because religion has been, and continues to be, responsible for countless horrors throughout human history. See also: Religiously motivated animosity, violence and oppression and discrimination.
  • For all the problems we face as a society, many theists choose not only to do nothing to help, but actually engage in sabotage by actively preventing solutions from being instigated, usually by supporting irrational political positions e.g. stem-cell research, contraception, women’s rights, sexual equality and even global warming.
  • Because as a functional member of society it benefits everyone if your decision making process is founded on evidence and reason, not on superstition. Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.

• Because religious superstition erects an absolute monarchy in a person’s mind. It teaches them to be satisfied with with not understanding the world and represents a surrendering to ignorance under the pretension of ‘devine knowledge’. Many of the greatest thinkers in human history have been repressed, sometimes forcefully, by those with faith. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress.
  • Because belief in a god taps into mankind’s natural tendency to defer moral decision making to authority figures (including priests, prophets, holy books, popes, ayatollahs and imams). Acting out ‘God’s plan’ or ‘God’s will’ is a sure-fire way to absolve one’s-self of responsibility for one’s actions.

????

Hello.....

"Restorative Justice"

Ok you aren't a righty! LOL. But here is what is wrong with what you teach. It is a lie. A lie is lie no matter how good it makes you feel.

• Because religion has been, and continues to be, responsible for countless horrors throughout human history. See also: Religiously motivated animosity, violence and oppression and discrimination.
  • For all the problems we face as a society, many theists choose not only to do nothing to help, but actually engage in sabotage by actively preventing solutions from being instigated, usually by supporting irrational political positions e.g. stem-cell research, contraception, women’s rights, sexual equality and even global warming.
  • Because belief in a god taps into mankind’s natural tendency to defer moral decision making to authority figures (including priests, prophets, holy books, popes, ayatollahs and imams). Acting out ‘God’s plan’ or ‘God’s will’ is a sure-fire way to absolve one’s-self of responsibility for one’s actions. See also: Cituke.
  • Because as a functional member of society it benefits everyone if your decision making process is founded on evidence and reason, not on superstition. Faith isn’t a virtue; it is the glorification of voluntary ignorance.
  • Because religious superstition erects an absolute monarchy in a person’s mind. It teaches them to be satisfied with with not understanding the world and represents a surrendering to ignorance under the pretension of ‘devine knowledge’. Many of the greatest thinkers in human history have been repressed, sometimes forcefully, by those with faith. It is not skeptics or explorers but fanatics and ideologues who menace decency and progress.

I follow no religion, only my own True Will do I follow.

Yet I absorb power from every religion I can.

Concerning the Gods...

I have the power to create Gods.

I can give Gods life, in my own mind, and in the minds of others.

I can give Gods shape.

The Gods of old as well as the Gods of new, I can give shape.

Gods evolve through me.

Ancient Gods take on greater forms through me.

New Gods can experience the World through me.

I forge gateways for the Gods to enter people's hearts and minds.

I can take a God who is impossible to perceive, and make it perceivable.

I make seen the unseen.

I can compel humans to believe in these Gods.

I can compel humans to worship these Gods.

I can evolve the Gods of present, give Life to Unborn Gods, and resurrect the dead Gods.

I have awoken Apzu and opened the eyes of Tiamat.

I have awoken the primordial waters of Chaos only to inflict Order upon them all over again, and arrange the Cosmos according to my Desire.

I hold in my hands the Tablet of Destinies.

I follow no religion, only my own True Will do I follow.

Yet I absorb power from every religion I can.

Concerning the Gods...

I have the power to create Gods.

I can give Gods life, in my own mind, and in the minds of others.

I can give Gods shape.

The Gods of old as well as the Gods of new, I can give shape.

Gods evolve through me.

Ancient Gods take on greater forms through me.

New Gods can experience the World through me.

I forge gateways for the Gods to enter people's hearts and minds.

I can take a God who is impossible to perceive, and make it perceivable.

I make seen the unseen.

I can compel humans to believe in these Gods.

I can compel humans to worship these Gods.

I can evolve the Gods of present, give Life to Unborn Gods, and resurrect the dead Gods.

I have awoken Apzu and opened the eyes of Tiamat.

I have awoken the primordial waters of Chaos only to inflict Order upon them all over again, and arrange the Cosmos according to my Desire.

I hold in my hands the Tablet of Destinies.

In other words it's all in your head.

I'm a partialistheist.

I've had a bit of a spiritual awakening lately, but I still don't buy my own religion's version of Jesus's daddy pulling the strings and levers during his singular intervention with me every day.

But I defnitly will not poopoo anyone's faith, unless they're trying to kill me because of which church I attend

I'm a partialistheist.

I've had a bit of a spiritual awakening lately, but I still don't buy my own religion's version of Jesus's daddy pulling the strings and levers during his singular intervention with me every day.

But I defnitly will not poopoo anyone's faith, unless they're trying to kill me because of which church I attend

Christians use to do that to people like you and Muslims still do. This is why I don't want them trying to make America a "Judao Christian" nation. Next thing you know history will be repeating itself and us non christians will be faced with the same 3 choices they gave us during the Crusades.

a. Convert
b. Leave
c. Die.

No such word at partialistheist. What you are is just like I was about 6 months ago. I abandoned Christianity a long time ago but still believed in god. Don't worry. It won't be long till you figure the rest out. And what a great day it will be for you. Let me know when you wake up.

When I became convinced that the universe was natural, that all the ghosts and gods were myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell. The dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts and bars and manacles turned to dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave. There was for me no master in all the wide world, not even in infinite space.

I was free to think. Free to express my thoughts, free to live in my own ideal. Free to live for myself and those I loved. Free to use all my faculties, all my senses. Free to spread imagination’s wings, free to investigate, to guess, and dream and hope. Free to judge and determine for myself. Free to reject all ignorant and cruel creeds, all the inspired books that savages have produced, and the barbarous legends of the past. Free from sanctified mistakes and “holy” lies. Free from the fear of eternal pain, free from the winged monsters of the night. Free from devils, ghosts and gods. For the first time I was free.

There were no prohibited places in all of the realm of thought. No error, no space where fancy could not spread her painted wings. No chains for my limbs. No lashes for my back. No flames for my flesh. No Master’s frown or threat, no following in another’s steps. No need to bow or cringe or crawl, or utter lying words. I was free; I stood erect and fearlessly, joyously faced all worlds.

My heart was filled with gratitude, with thankfulness, and went out in love to all the heros, the thinkers who gave their lives for liberty of hand and brain, for the freedom of labor and thought to those who fell on the fierce fields of war. To those who died in dungeons, bound in chains, to those by fire consumed, to all the wise, the good, the brave of every land whose thoughts and deeds have given freedom to the sons of men. And then, I vowed to grasp the torch that they held, and hold it high, That light might conquer darkness still.

-Robert Green Ingersoll (1833-1899)

I'm a partialistheist.

Christians use to do that to people like you and Muslims still do. This is why I don't want them trying to make America a "Judao Christian" nation. Next thing you know history will be repeating itself and us non christians will be faced with the same 3 choices they gave us during the Crusades.

a. Convert
b. Leave
c. Die.
don't think any of that is possible here.

other places? maybe...but not here

I'm a partialistheist.

a. Convert
b. Leave
c. Die.
don't think any of that is possible here.

other places? maybe...but not here

All one has to do is remember how we were acting after 9-11. Or consider the camps we put Asian Americans in back in ww2.

Hell, I don't even have a problem with it. All I would need to see is a couple of Muslim suicide bombers in the USA and I'll be on board with shipping all non us citizen Muslims home immediately! I'd rather live with dumb Christians than crazy muslims.

But then I'd be worried that the crazy christians would then try to establish a Christian nation. Especially if the Middle East countries all start declaring themselves Muslim nations.

Never say never. People didn't think they'd ban abortion but I just herad today Texas went from having over 20 aborton clinics to 5. Pretty big state to just have 5 abortion clinics. Most women who voted for Bush said, "oh they'll never ban abortion". Just look at all the anti abortion legislation that has been passed in the last 10 years. AND ON OBAMA, Reed AND PELOSI'S WATCH?

????

Hello.....

"Restorative Justice"

Ok you aren't a righty! LOL. But here is what is wrong with what you teach. It is a lie. A lie is lie no matter how good it makes you feel.

• Because belief in a god taps into mankind’s natural tendency to defer moral decision making to authority figures (including priests, prophets, holy books, popes, ayatollahs and imams). Acting out ‘God’s plan’ or ‘God’s will’ is a sure-fire way to absolve one’s-self of responsibility for one’s actions. See also: Cituke.

1. These can all be blamed on political abuses of religion.
so if you are going to argue to get rid of religion because of abuses,
are you equally going to argue to get rid of politics because of abuses.
At least that would be fair.

Sealybobo, this is like blaming race for causing problems of racism.
yet if we didn't have different races, people would nitpick over something else:
hair color, fat or skinny body sizes, political affiliations. (in fact, political affiliations and abuses
can be argued as even more dangerous than religion; as this marks the difference between the Nazis in the Holocaust vs aryan supremacists who stay out of politics and govt and the difference between violent Jihadists versus peaceful Muslims who don't use politics or govt
to push their agenda: a key difference is whether the groups use political force to attack and kill)

If people are dividing into groups to dominate and abuse others,
that is caused by mob and pecking order mentality to control groups by peer pressure
and propaganda!

How is religion any different from other means of doing this.
people ahve bullied each other to death by suicide using the internet.

does that mean we need to ban the use of the internet?

2. on that note, with the internet we know that more lives aer saved
and more good is done by having free access to the internet than by the abuses of it to traffick, abuse or kill people.

same with religion.

It is just that you do not have the same understanding of the good in religion
as you do the good in the internet or anything else that can be abused.

you have more negative information and perception about religion
than you do positive beliefs and experiences or understanding with it

3. lastly you associate the good in religion with some other source
that isn't coming fromthe religion or dependent on it.
so you imagine that the good can still be achieved without the religion whichis namely a tool forexpression.

so why can't you see the evil abuses also do not come from the religion per se
but also come from a source that would affect peopleanyway without the religion?

so if getting rid of the religion would not change the good that comes through it
getting rid of the religion would not change the bad that happens which is also existent independent of religion

4. and finally I will post sources that explain
how some teachings and practice in religion
are unique and the only cure for some sicknesses
that otherwise cost people's lives, health, mind, sanity and relations and quality of life.

there is no substitute for some of these cures.
if you can teach them independent of religion, that's fine, many people have benefited from the relief from spiritual
healing without converting to the religion,
but the teachings and spiritual healing process itself cannot be rejected.
the healing is natural and cannot be divorced from human nature that relies
on forgiveness as part of the therapy to maintain or restore health of body mind spirit and relations with others in society.

Forum List

Back