GE is laying off 20% of its workforce devoted to onshore wind power, costing hundreds of jobs

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
General Electric is laying off 20% of its U.S. onshore wind workforce, which equates to hundreds of jobs, according to a person familiar with the matter who declined to be named.

A note was sent out to employees Wednesday.

“We are taking steps to streamline and size our onshore wind business for market realities to position us for future success. These are difficult decisions, which do not reflect on our employees’ dedication and hard work but are needed to ensure the business can compete and improve profitability over time,” a spokesperson for GE Renewable Energy told CNBC.

GE is said to be examining its onshore wind footprint in Europe and Asia as well.

GE is laying off 20% of its workforce devoted to onshore wind power, costing hundreds of jobs

:oops8:

I'm sure they can get jobs coding or something.
dancenana.gif

General Electric is laying off 20% of its U.S. onshore wind workforce, which equates to hundreds of jobs, according to a person familiar with the matter who declined to be named.

“We are taking steps to streamline and size our onshore wind business for market realities to position us for future success. These are difficult decisions, which do not reflect on our employees’ dedication and hard work but are needed to ensure the business can compete and improve profitability over time,” a spokesperson for GE Renewable Energy told CNBC.

GE is said to be examining its onshore wind footprint in Europe and Asia as well.

dancenana.gif
Which will not discourage or prevent the investing in and inevitable move toward green energy. GE is also presently busy splitting into three companies.
Siemens is also busy eating a portion of GE's lunch. I'm gonna guess a lot of these people will stay in the wind power industry...just with other companies.

Fossil fuels days are numbered. Has the wind-down been hobbled by the pandemic and supply chain issues? Yes.
But it'll happen.

dancenana.gif
Don't know if it classifies as an OOPS, but it does reflect the oversaturation of production capability, against the demand for the system produced. Sounds like good business, to me.

Fossil fuels days are numbered. Has the wind-down been hobbled by the pandemic and supply chain issues? Yes.
But it'll happen.
I think most people realize that is true at some point. The issue is whether or not we head into that change using common sense, gradually as the market will bear it, or force it prematurely at the demand of the alarmist climate cult which will cause countless economic problems.

Which will not discourage or prevent the investing in and inevitable move toward green energy. GE is also presently busy splitting into three companies.
Siemens is also busy eating a portion of GE's lunch. I'm gonna guess a lot of these people will stay in the wind power industry...just with other companies.

But it'll happen.

BS.....

People are waking up that wind turbines are a joke. The only people benefiting from wind turbines are the people making them, installing them, getting government subsidies, and the politicians getting their cut under the table.....And of course the chi-coms.

Installation and maintenance are very expensive. Give it a few years, drive past wind farms, see how many aren’t running. By the time all the installations are complete and the big cranes have left the area, it’s major expense to get the cranes back into the area to work on them.

These defunct wind-farms are all over the country now....Indeed all over the world....And local .govs can't afford to remove them.

I think most people realize that is true at some point. The issue is whether or not we head into that change using common sense, gradually as the market will bear it, or force it prematurely at the demand of the alarmist climate cult which will cause countless economic problems.
I think that is already the case. The technologies will mature and become more cost effective as advances are made.
The market will determine that. Yes, climate change is real. But that doesn't mean the market and consumer pool will accept new technologies before they are vetted....and less expensive.

Libs such as JackOfNoTrades dont care

Finding the lost secrets of Atlantas and ending fossil fuel is an emotional issue for them

Being rational is not part of their game

BS.....

People are waking up that wind turbines are a joke. The only people benefiting from wind turbines are the people making them, installing them, getting government subsidies, and the politicians getting their cut under the table.....And of course the chi-coms.

Installation and maintenance are very expensive. Give it a few years, drive past wind farms, see how many aren’t running. By the time all the installations are complete and the big cranes have left the area, it’s major expense to get the cranes back into the area to work on them.

These defunct wind-farms are all over the country now....Indeed all over the world....And local .govs can't afford to remove them.

Yep. Old equipment. Outdated technology that can't updated. I hear this all the time from a source who actually manages a wind farm.
And there's another issue with wind power. It's less expensive than other renewables. So the fact that the equipment is more expensive to maintain might hurt it.

Libs such as JackOfNoTrades dont care

Finding the list secrets of Atlantas and ending fossil fuel is an emotional issue for them

Being rational is not part of their game
No. It's just the way of the future. Whether it happens in our lifetime, or our children's. But it will happen.
I also find it amusing that you righties bark about pushing fossil fuels out of one side of your mouth while constantly
berating our reliance on the people (SA and Russia) that provide a lot of said fossil fuels.

And no, this country has never been energy independent. We have exported around 30% of our oil to other countries for years.

The rest of what we produce here, stays here..largely.

No. It's just the way of the future. Whether it happens in our lifetime, or our children's.

But it will happen.
I also find it amusing that you righties bark about pushing fossil fuels out of one side of your mouth while constantly
berating our reliance on the people (SA and Russia) that provide a lot of said fossil fuels.

And no, this country has never been energy independent. We have exported around 30% of our oil to other countries for years.

The rest of what we produce here, stays here..largely.
Who are you kidding?

There is no way that libs who are convinced that the arctic ice shelf only has 20 years to live are going wait another generation for their salvation

They will plunge us into darkness if necessary to satisfy their hatred of the black gold

Which will not discourage or prevent the investing in and inevitable move toward green energy.
Sure, Jack, sure. Wind is a great idea because in theory at least, it's "free." Same with solar, the light is there, we just need to catch it. But we are many decades from actually realizing the practical and affordable application of just wind and light supplying all of our growing energy needs, meantime, the efforts to do so prematurely before its time has really come at the expense of the energy we already have, need and depend on are actually thwarting its development as we now head into a deep recession over it. All brought to us by the goons running our government.

Fossil fuels days are numbered.
Your days are numbered, the Sun's days are numbered, still, we are killing the oil industry when we depend on it deeply to sustain our needs while your green power being able to wholly take over and replace it are probably another 50 years off at least. And by the time that happens, we will have come up with far better things than windmills and banks of photovoltaic transistor banks baking in the sun, such as Fusion. But then, what do I know? I just used to help design and support global communication and helped support the defense industry among other things while you're still trying to build that garage out back of your house!

Just remember Jack, the hammer strikes the FLAT end of the nail, not the pointy one! :71:

The technologies will mature and become more cost effective as advances are made. The market will determine that. Yes, climate change is real. But that doesn't mean the market and consumer pool will accept new technologies before they are vetted....and less expensive.

Well spoken Jack! Spoken just like a chair-bound investment capitalist sitting at his desk in New England looking out his window pushing papers around his desk checking on his portfolio while real men make these theories a realization. And millions of other's lives all dangle in the balance when your pet theories and speculations FAIL.

Whoops! Must be time for another break at the water cooler for you! :smoke:

But it'll happen.
Green Energy is a losing game. It's a con game. Anyone involved in it is an idiot.

But it'll happen.

Just like a reliable grid and heating ability are numbered, same as anyone being able to own a car.

dancenana.gif

That blows.

I think that is already the case. The technologies will mature and become more cost effective as advances are made.
The market will determine that. Yes, climate change is real. But that doesn't mean the market and consumer pool will accept new technologies before they are vetted....and less expensive.

And yet, the Democrats are attempting to force people to do exactly that. California's mandate that every new car sold in the state by 2035 has to be electric? Biden's push that 50% of vehicles sold in the U.S. be electric by 2030? We're barely at 1% right now nationwide. These mandates are unrealistic and unachievable by those timelines and will cause people substantial economic pain.

Just like a reliable grid and heating ability are numbered, same as anyone being able to own a car.
Hmmm..well, there was a solar powered community just outside of Ft Myers that weathered Hurricane Ian with no power outages and minimal damage.
If a reliable green energy along with sensible building codes can accomplish this, then I'd say those days are anything but numbered.

Fossil fuels days are numbered.

Fossil fuels aren't going to go anywhere until someone can make an electric vehicle that can go more than a few hundred miles on a charge and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Of the 10 cheapest EV's available, the average price is $37,110. The average distance those 10 vehicles will travel is a mere 215 miles. If you buy one of these cars, you then have to pay for the charger, which can approach $7,000 in some cases. Only one of them qualifies for the government's "plug in" tax credit.

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-are-the-11-cheapest-electric-vehicles-you-can-buy-439849/

The article says 11 cars, but there are only 10.

The costs incurred might be worth it if the cars went several hundred miles (in excess of 500) but, until then, they're really just a pain in the ass.

Also, as long as there's a segment of the market which demands fossil fuels, that market will always exist. No one seems to be in too big a hurry to develop an electric semi, and they're pretty much the lifeblood of America...

Forum List

Back