Gay marriage vs. pulygamy

Polygamy is not something that much noise is made about.

But polyamory is gaining popularity. More and more people are exploring relationships with more than one person.

Once again, consenting adults and no one is harmed.
I don't see much of a legal basis for denying polygamous marriage if you allow gay marriage. However, there are two major differences to consider. From a legal perspective, a gay marriage ban is picking out a group of individuals based on their sexual orientation and denying them the freedom to marry who they choose. That is not the case with a polygamous marriage. From a social perspective, a 2 to 1 relationship is fraught with problems of jealousy, envy, and divisions of responsibility.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be much pressure for polygamous marriage. Historically polygamy has been between one husband and two or more wives. Not many women today would be interested in sharing a husband and not many husbands can afford multiple wives.

But polyamory is gaining popularity. More and more people are exploring relationships with more than one person.

I don't see much of a legal basis for denying polygamous marriage if you allow gay marriage. However, there are two major differences to consider. From a legal perspective, a gay marriage ban is picking out a group of individuals based on their sexual orientation and denying them the freedom to marry who they choose. That is not the case with a polygamous marriage. From a social perspective, a 2 to 1 relationship is fraught with problems of jealousy, envy, and divisions of responsibility.

I agree that there doesn't seem to be much pressure for polygamous marriage. Historically polygamy has been between one husband and two or more wives. Not many women today would be interested in sharing a husband and not many husbands can afford multiple wives.

Actually, since it typically takes two incomes to support a family, polygamy may make more sense. Since that would allow two incomes plus someone to provide more family times for the kids.

The big issue with polygamy is that it could get really messy with taxes, Social Security and insurance. Otherwise, I have no issue with it. If I was loaded, I'd give it a go.

Actually, since it typically takes two incomes to support a family, polygamy may make more sense. Since that would allow two incomes plus someone to provide more family times for the kids.
Polygamy has always been primarily about economics not sex or loving relationships.

Mufti-generational households do the same thing, and are very traditional.

The big issue with polygamy is that it could get really messy with taxes, Social Security and insurance. Otherwise, I have no issue with it. If I was loaded, I'd give it a go.
It get's even messier with divorce.

A simple prenup would solve that.

Plus, how many divorces are due to infidelity? Polygamy would, at the very least, reduce that by a good margin.

Polygamy and same sex marriages can be combined. A bisexual can have a spouse of both genders. Diversity, diversity, diversity!

Triplet brothers or sisters can marry. diversity, diversity, diversity.

Polygamy and same sex marriages can be combined. A bisexual can have a spouse of both genders. Diversity, diversity, diversity!

Triplet brothers or sisters can marry. diversity, diversity, diversity.
Most women are up for a threesome, as long as it's two men, and one cooks while the other cleans.

Plus, how many divorces are due to infidelity? Polygamy would, at the very least, reduce that by a good margin.
Prenups are fairly rare. They are only useful if you're trying to protect extensive assets, business ventures, investments, or savings. They cannot cover child custody or child support. Property division as well as custody laws are based on a one husband one wife relationship. Existing state laws simply would not apply. The biggest problem that divorce would pose on polygamous marriages would be the children.

The argument for gay marriage is the equal right to marry who you love. Well?
Good post! Really, if our government supports gay marriage I have three-four female candidates as my future wives. I want to marry all them. Wht's the problem?? I love them and they love me. Polygamy is my way to save America.

Good post! Really, if our government supports gay marriage I have three-four female candidates as my future wives. I want to marry all them. Wht's the problem?? I love them and they love me. Polygamy is my way to save America.

Work out the tax issues, the divorce possibilities and some way to protect all parties (especially the children) and go for it.

I haven't seen much opposition in this thread. Who would be hurt?

well, what?

Not that there are enough people out there really advocating for polygamy, but as long as everyone is a consenting adult, I don't have a problem with it.

It gets a little wonky. For example, if two people get married, they both entered the union at the exact same time. If they divorce, you get a 50 50 split.

If, however, you have 3 people that are married. 2 to begin, and 1 added later. If they divorce, do all three divorce, or do they spin one of the people off? Do they split the money and property into thirds? Or is it based on how long you've been part of the marriage? If you have kids, are parental rights and responsibilities split evenly among all three, or only between the biological parents? If there's a divorce, does that mean that a non-biological parent is obligated to pay child support as well? If so, how much? If there are medical decisions for 1 of the 3 to be made, what if the 2 can't agree?

With every person you add increasing the complexity, problems and confusion.

2 person marriage can answer all of those questions easily. Its always 50-50. As both partners have always been in the union for the same amount of time.

Prenups are fairly rare. They are only useful if you're trying to protect extensive assets, business ventures, investments, or savings. They cannot cover child custody or child support. Property division as well as custody laws are based on a one husband one wife relationship. Existing state laws simply would not apply. The biggest problem that divorce would pose on polygamous marriages would be the children.

You'd have to rework the entire legal system to accommodate it. Where the law is already in place for gay marriage.

Sigh Canuck super conservative The world doesn't end. And if anything the crazy guys that I love to death who are gay conservatives can come out as conservative.

Yay!!!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back