Gay marriage vs. pulygamy

That's up to them. Not really any of your concern.

Sure lawmakers will waste time rewriting everything. Door will be wide open for abuse of benefits. Employers and financials institutions will have to make changes. Courts will be busy with all this silliness. The ratio of men to women may be thrown off. But hey why should I care.

You can care about anything you like. It just isn't your concern. How people want to complicate their lives is their business. So long as the government is in the marriage business, they need to treat everyone equally.

It is illegal now and there is no reason to change that. History has proven it is bad, that is why society moved away from it.

It was illegal for people of different races to marry before. No reason to change that. Except that old fashioned concept of equal protection under the law. But hell, who gives a damn about that so long as it isn't you being discriminated against. Right?

There wasn't a long history of abuse with different races marrying. We do however have a long history of abuse of women and children with polygamy. Quite the huge difference. There is a reason modern society moved away from polygamy, there is no reason to go back now.

Nor was the justification for interracial marriage bans 'past abuse'. But this:

Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix.

Judge Leon Bazille,

Though I'd have to look into the history of polygamy a bit deeper before I have an opinion on its historic abuses. I don't know enough to comment intelligently.

That's up to them. Not really any of your concern.

Sure lawmakers will waste time rewriting everything. Door will be wide open for abuse of benefits. Employers and financials institutions will have to make changes. Courts will be busy with all this silliness. The ratio of men to women may be thrown off. But hey why should I care.

You can care about anything you like. It just isn't your concern. How people want to complicate their lives is their business. So long as the government is in the marriage business, they need to treat everyone equally.

It is illegal now and there is no reason to change that. History has proven it is bad, that is why society moved away from it.

It was illegal for people of different races to marry before. No reason to change that. Except that old fashioned concept of equal protection under the law. But hell, who gives a damn about that so long as it isn't you being discriminated against. Right?

There wasn't a long history of abuse with different races marrying. We do however have a long history of abuse of women and children with polygamy. Quite the huge difference. There is a reason modern society moved away from polygamy, there is no reason to go back now.

Utter nonsense. There is just as much abuse of women and children in monogamy. The reason for the change is purely cultural, without any regard for women and children at all.

Here is an interesting link:
Polygamy Is Bad for Women - NYTimes.com
Far from polygamy being beneficial to women, it usually is anathema to women's economic, social and emotional well-being. No wonder the feminist Council on Women’s Status of Quebec also opposed polygamy in Canada.

The problem with that article is that it claims polygamy is bad for women, but then only discusses polygyny.

They only talk about marriages with one man and multiple wives. Of course that is not equality. But that is also not polygamy.

Based on history, the current state of polygamy, and biology that is what I would expect the majority to be. Do you have some reason to believe it wouldn't be? People moved away from polygamy for a reason. It has a real bad history. So far I've heard no good reason to think that moving back is a good idea.
I don't think there should be any concern that polygamy will every become popular in the US even it is made legal which is very unlikely.

Very unlikely. I can't imagine doing it myself. However, the basic idea of equality under the law is that a small minority is not denied the ability to live their life as they choose simply because the majority don't approve of their decision. You can't protect a woman you have chased underground. You can't help children when you turn their parents into outlaws. People are going to live according to their own standards, so we should bring it into the light to make sure no one is mistreated. Not shove them into the dark and pretend we are helping.
A good point, however let me point out to you that the legal definition of minorities in the context of constitutional guarantees are identifiable and specially disadvantage groups such as those based on race, sex, religion and national origin. People that want to have multiple wives may be small in number but they're not legally a minority.

However, there are many types of rights, legal, constitutional, ethical, and social. When a large majority of the citizens feel some group is being treated unfairly and they should have the right to do something, then eventually, the courts, or the legislation will act. It might take just a few years or it may take a hundred years but eventually it will happen. A good example is gay marriage, or women s suffrage. If enough people felt that men should have the right to marry more than one woman, then it would happen. However since women slightly out number men in the US the chance of that happening is pretty small.

By the same token if enough people feel that rights guaranteed to some group should be removed, then it will happen. Good examples are the internment of the Japanese-Americans during WWII and terrorist being held under the patriot act.

You focus on one thing, as if I am trying to promote polygamy. My position is that that a decision to be made by the people involved. I would oppose internment of people just because of what they look like. I was opposed to the holding of people without charge or trial. I am opposed to anything where the government tells you how to live your life. This is about freedom and there is no guarantee that a free society won't be a messy one. It is the job of government to act as referee, not to decide who gets to play.

Utter nonsense. There is just as much abuse of women and children in monogamy. The reason for the change is purely cultural, without any regard for women and children at all.

Sorry but it has never been good any time it has been tried.

Then don't do it. Know one is saying you have to.

Then don't do it. Know one is saying you have to.

Nor should it be made legal.

Forum List

Back