Games without fans

The local cable sports network is replaying the Dallas Stars playoff wins from their Stanley Cup Championship season I had forgotten how much you could get away with in the playoffs back then.

Was that the Stars Cup win against the Sabres where Brett Hull had his toe in the crease on the winning goal in the Cup final? That was an auto "no goal" all year and of course, as some warned, it would happen during a game winning goal in a playoff series, that time it was for the Cup. Refs didn't look at the goal as they did every time, next year I think they removed that silly rule. Sabres were rightfully pissed.

From the years 1995 to about 2002 hockey was primarily boring, clutch and grab, "Trap" and concussion-filled hockey and dirty hits were far too common. It was during the only period I didn't even watch a Maple Leafs playoff game when they played the Sabres.

That's why as much as I like hard checking, hard effort grinding hockey, I much prefer the speed and skill today, where very few fights occur and they are due to real hate, retaliation, or, to guys trying to wake up their teams. Back then fights were just staged, all too common and harmful. We don't need more violence in this world. My favourite types of players were generally power forwards. We could use a few more like that, though the Bruins seem to always built, tough, relentless teams. I dislike them, but respect their effort.
That was the one there wasn't really any cheap shots or obvious dirty plays in those series and no one was trying to take anyone out that was only my second season watching hockey so maybe I just wasn't used to playoff hockey yet. That first series Dallas had with Edmonton both teams were really winding up and clocking each other.

Just curious who else thinks playing proffesional sports games in empty stadiums and arenas would be boring beyond words?
Today's technology can emulate fans.
I would think the players have trained to the extreme where they are too busy thinking strategy to pay attention to the fans.

The local cable sports network is replaying the Dallas Stars playoff wins from their Stanley Cup Championship season I had forgotten how much you could get away with in the playoffs back then.

Was that the Stars Cup win against the Sabres where Brett Hull had his toe in the crease on the winning goal in the Cup final? That was an auto "no goal" all year and of course, as some warned, it would happen during a game winning goal in a playoff series, that time it was for the Cup. Refs didn't look at the goal as they did every time, next year I think they removed that silly rule. Sabres were rightfully pissed.

From the years 1995 to about 2002 hockey was primarily boring, clutch and grab, "Trap" and concussion-filled hockey and dirty hits were far too common. It was during the only period I didn't even watch a Maple Leafs playoff game when they played the Sabres.

That's why as much as I like hard checking, hard effort grinding hockey, I much prefer the speed and skill today, where very few fights occur and they are due to real hate, retaliation, or, to guys trying to wake up their teams. Back then fights were just staged, all too common and harmful. We don't need more violence in this world. My favourite types of players were generally power forwards. We could use a few more like that, though the Bruins seem to always built, tough, relentless teams. I dislike them, but respect their effort.
That was the one there wasn't really any cheap shots or obvious dirty plays in those series and no one was trying to take anyone out that was only my second season watching hockey so maybe I just wasn't used to playoff hockey yet. That first series Dallas had with Edmonton both teams were really winding up and clocking each other.

Yeah, during the Bill Guerin, Doug Weight years I think. Even Arnott played with some edge at times.

One of those years I remember seeing possibly the greatest comeback by the Oilers in the playoffs against the Stars, I thought it was to win the series, but I can't be sure. They were down 3 or 4-1 late in the game and the Stars never gave up goals. 4 or 5 minutes left and the Oilers came back and won the game. Absolutely incredible considering how solid and talented that Stars team was.

Yeah, during the Bill Guerin, Doug Weight years I think. Even Arnott played with some edge at times.

One of those years I remember seeing possibly the greatest comeback by the Oilers in the playoffs against the Stars, I thought it was to win the series, but I can't be sure. They were down 3 or 4-1 late in the game and the Stars never gave up goals. 4 or 5 minutes left and the Oilers came back and won the game. Absolutely incredible considering how solid and talented that Stars team was.
I think the game your thinking of was from the previous season because the Stars won this series 4-0 the last game being triple overtime the Stars got the winning goal with about two minutes left in the third OT.

Just curious who else thinks playing proffesional sports games in empty stadiums and arenas would be boring beyond words?
Today's technology can emulate fans.
I would think the players have trained to the extreme where they are too busy thinking strategy to pay attention to the fans.

I don't know, the fans give players that adrenaline. Some feed off them and they admit it.

I was watching the 2015 Blue Jays series after they pick up Tulo and Price, and the infamous bat flip game. I couldn't believe how loud the fans were then. Toronto is so hungry for a winner (who would have thought it would be the Raptors), and they were screaming with rage, especially after the craziest 7th inning ever. The weird play on top of the inning, and then 3 errors by the Rangers in the bottom that lead to the HR.

You can emulate the sounds (I was thinking that was well), sort of like a sound track in the stadium, but there must be nothing like thousands of fans screaming and celebrating with you. It's so very human.

Not big on Baseball or Roundball, but I have some NFL games on file from the 80s and 90s, bereft of commercials and with Madden and Summerall barking.

I'll just run those on Sunday afternoons.

Games without fans?!?

Not only no, FUCK NO!

This foolishness needs to end yesterday.
Well the foolishness of all the bullshit that goes on in the nfl And mlb That I have discussed here several times over the years is much more foolish than that and all that bullshit needs to end like yesterday or get New fucking leagues going specially the corrupt nfl cartel. If the nfl and mlb ended today and shut down forever,I would do cartwheels And be the first to start a petition to get new leagues started and owned by the people of the city instead of these asshole billionaires who have ruined both sports with the help of the players of course going for the paycheck instead of playing it for the love of the game as they used to.:14:

Forum List

Back