"Free" College for EVERYONE!

I watched a video a little while ago where Joe Biden was gleefully boasting to someone or other that if he is elected President, he will guarantee "free college for EVERYONE!"

Well, Constitutional issues aside and funding issues aside, is this necessary, and is it even a good idea?

When you first hear it, a picture comes to mind. The picture is of a studious person - probably Black girl - who is an excellent student, but comes from a "poor" home and therefore cannot pursue a college education.

My question is, Do such people actually exist? Can you picture an "excellent" Black female student who is not eligible for, or offered spontaneously, some sort of scholarship or grant, or be eligible for a subsidized loan, to pay for a college education? Alternatively, could that unfortunate person not simply get a full-time job and pursue a college education at night (like I did)? Or join the military service, get skills training in the Army, and save money for college when she is 21 (like I did), rather than 18? Or find an employer (probably a government agency) that is willing to assist with tuition while she works during the day?

Is anyone who is truly "college material" literally unable to go to college in this country? They may exist, but they are unusual cases.

But there is a problem in "higher education" in this country that few are willing to address or even admit that it exists. We have far too many people in college that have no legitimate justification for even being there. They lack the grades, test scores, and/or intelligence to do real college-level coursework, so they take a flurry of "remedial" courses at first, then if they don't fail out in that first year, they start taking bullshit courses in pursuit of a bullshit major and ultimately a bullshit degree, with a hundred thousand dollar invoice shortly to follow. Then they wonder why no employer is willing to pay them a six-figure salary with that shiny new sheepskin.

But of course, Joe Biden will work to have that loan forgiven, so it's not really problem, is it?

Are Democrats too stupid to see the inevitable results of their proposed initiatives, or are they so blindly seeking power that they just don't care?

It is a puzzle.
With all the money we spend on bombs... we probably could make college free.
Because knowledge of the herstory of feminism is just what you need to keep aggressors with weapons at bay, amirite?

Free higher education
Free Universal Healthcare
Invest Trillions in a modern infrastructure

Pay for it by:

Returning tax rates to Pre-Reagan rates
Scale down Military support to Europe and Asia.
Use money spent by employers and employees on health insurance on universal healthcare

Free higher education

For 100% of applicants?

Free higher education

Pay for it by:

Use money spent by employers and employees on health insurance on universal healthcare

Free higher education

For 100% of applicants?
Back in my day there were admission standards.
CLEP test, maybe?

Free higher education

Pay for it by:

Free higher education

For 100% of applicants?
CLEP, maybe?

About two-thirds of high school graduates immediately enroll in college.
Are 100% going to enroll for free college? Rejecting Chicago Public School illiterate "grads" is racist.
Is that huge increase in numbers going to make college cheaper?

Free higher education

Pay for it by:

Free higher education

For 100% of applicants?
CLEP test, maybe?
CLEP test are not an entrance exam it is a test for the semester of a subject

An educated population benefits the country as a whole
No it doesn't. Someone has to take out the trash and deal with the heartless serial murders Maxine Waters initiated with her Get Trump harassment personal attacks. When the dems recruited rioters, those personal attacks on conservative citizens the attacks turned physical, and democrats then extended their abusive harm to blinding and murders of first responders.

I watched a video a little while ago where Joe Biden was gleefully boasting to someone or other that if he is elected President, he will guarantee "free college for EVERYONE!"

Well, Constitutional issues aside and funding issues aside, is this necessary, and is it even a good idea?

When you first hear it, a picture comes to mind. The picture is of a studious person - probably Black girl - who is an excellent student, but comes from a "poor" home and therefore cannot pursue a college education.

My question is, Do such people actually exist? Can you picture an "excellent" Black female student who is not eligible for, or offered spontaneously, some sort of scholarship or grant, or be eligible for a subsidized loan, to pay for a college education? Alternatively, could that unfortunate person not simply get a full-time job and pursue a college education at night (like I did)? Or join the military service, get skills training in the Army, and save money for college when she is 21 (like I did), rather than 18? Or find an employer (probably a government agency) that is willing to assist with tuition while she works during the day?

Is anyone who is truly "college material" literally unable to go to college in this country? They may exist, but they are unusual cases.

But there is a problem in "higher education" in this country that few are willing to address or even admit that it exists. We have far too many people in college that have no legitimate justification for even being there. They lack the grades, test scores, and/or intelligence to do real college-level coursework, so they take a flurry of "remedial" courses at first, then if they don't fail out in that first year, they start taking bullshit courses in pursuit of a bullshit major and ultimately a bullshit degree, with a hundred thousand dollar invoice shortly to follow. Then they wonder why no employer is willing to pay them a six-figure salary with that shiny new sheepskin.

But of course, Joe Biden will work to have that loan forgiven, so it's not really problem, is it?

Are Democrats too stupid to see the inevitable results of their proposed initiatives, or are they so blindly seeking power that they just don't care?

It is a puzzle.
With all the money we spend on bombs... we probably could make college free.
Because knowledge of the herstory of feminism is just what you need to keep aggressors with weapons at bay, amirite?
That's all college is to you? :blowpop:

Does this mean someone like me can go to college for free?

I'm 58 years old but, unless this plan is discriminatory, age shouldn't be an issue, correct?
Correct
Canon, if you think that it's appropriate for a 58 year old to take up a space in college, my guess is that you wouldn't pass the entrance exam.

What's "appropriate" isn't the issue.

And how is it "taking up space"? Why shouldn't someone in their 50's be permitted to take advantage of a government program which could better them and make them more productive?

An educated population benefits the country as a whole
yes, but who is going to pay for that free education?...

See the post above yours
i seen it but it will never happen....just more empty promises to get elected......
It will take a change in priorities. We need to wean ourselves from the desire to be guardians of the globe.

We also need to wean ourselves off of Reagan era Supply Side economics and invest in our working class instead of the wealthy.

FREE! FREE! It's all FREE! :spinner:

K-12 is free

My property tax bill disagrees.

I never received a bill

I don’t receive a bill for roads, police protection, fire protection, the military.......

I never received a bill

You never received a property tax bill?

My taxes pay for many things. Some I support, some I do not.
I would rather pay for education, healthcare and modern infrastructure than provide a military to protect the world and give the wealthy the lowest tax rate in generations.

My taxes pay for many things.

Yup.

I would rather pay for education,

It won't be free? Biden was lying......again?
Scroll up

It is a puzzle.
We will end up with people that never finish. Imagine living for,free, and all you have to do is show up to class.

We will end up with people that never finish. Imagine living for,free, and all you have to do is show up to class.

Nobody is saying unqualified students should get to go to college for free. Let them prove themselves in community college like they do today.

Students still have to make the grade or drop out. Just like today

K-12 is free

I never received a bill

I don’t receive a bill for roads, police protection, fire protection, the military.......

I never received a bill

I would rather pay for education, healthcare and modern infrastructure than provide a military to protect the world and give the wealthy the lowest tax rate in generations.

Yup.

Scroll up

First you said K-12 is free. Now you say you pay for it.

Were you lying then or are you lying now?

It will take a change in priorities. We need to wean ourselves from the desire to be guardians of the globe.

But the problem is that the world has come to expect it, especially after eight years of the boy king bending over backwards to appease foreign leaders.

I hav long held that we should not get involved every time there's a problem somewhere in the world...

K-12 is free

I never received a bill

I never received a bill

Yup.

Scroll up

First you said K-12 is free. Now you say you pay for it.

Were you lying then or are you lying now?
Are you stupid or just stubborn?

We provide free public school with our taxes. We need to provide free college with our taxes.

You do not get a bill, just like you don’t get a bill for the military, police, new roads, plowing your streets in the winter.

It all comes out of our tax revenue.

But the problem is that the world has come to expect it, especially after eight years of the boy king bending over backwards to appease foreign leaders.

I hav long held that we should not get involved every time there's a problem somewhere in the world...

The EU has not needed our military support since the fall of the USSR. Let them pay for their own defense as well as the Middle East, Iran and Iraq. US can provide some token presence

Trump has been pushing them to raise their military spending to GDP ratio. We need to reduce ours and force them to pick up the slack.

European nations provide free universal healthcare, have modern infrastructure that we helped build, have free higher education. We could too if we weren’t out defending the globe

Forum List

Back