"Free" College for EVERYONE!

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I watched a video a little while ago where Joe Biden was gleefully boasting to someone or other that if he is elected President, he will guarantee "free college for EVERYONE!"

Well, Constitutional issues aside and funding issues aside, is this necessary, and is it even a good idea?

When you first hear it, a picture comes to mind. The picture is of a studious person - probably Black girl - who is an excellent student, but comes from a "poor" home and therefore cannot pursue a college education.

My question is, Do such people actually exist? Can you picture an "excellent" Black female student who is not eligible for, or offered spontaneously, some sort of scholarship or grant, or be eligible for a subsidized loan, to pay for a college education? Alternatively, could that unfortunate person not simply get a full-time job and pursue a college education at night (like I did)? Or join the military service, get skills training in the Army, and save money for college when she is 21 (like I did), rather than 18? Or find an employer (probably a government agency) that is willing to assist with tuition while she works during the day?

Is anyone who is truly "college material" literally unable to go to college in this country? They may exist, but they are unusual cases.

But there is a problem in "higher education" in this country that few are willing to address or even admit that it exists. We have far too many people in college that have no legitimate justification for even being there. They lack the grades, test scores, and/or intelligence to do real college-level coursework, so they take a flurry of "remedial" courses at first, then if they don't fail out in that first year, they start taking bullshit courses in pursuit of a bullshit major and ultimately a bullshit degree, with a hundred thousand dollar invoice shortly to follow. Then they wonder why no employer is willing to pay them a six-figure salary with that shiny new sheepskin.

But of course, Joe Biden will work to have that loan forgiven, so it's not really problem, is it?

Are Democrats too stupid to see the inevitable results of their proposed initiatives, or are they so blindly seeking power that they just don't care?

It is a puzzle.

I watched a video a little while ago where Joe Biden was gleefully boasting to someone or other that if he is elected President, he will guarantee "free college for EVERYONE!"

Well, Constitutional issues aside and funding issues aside, is this necessary, and is it even a good idea?

When you first hear it, a picture comes to mind. The picture is of a studious person - probably Black girl - who is an excellent student, but comes from a "poor" home and therefore cannot pursue a college education.

My question is, Do such people actually exist? Can you picture an "excellent" Black female student who is not eligible for, or offered spontaneously, some sort of scholarship or grant, or be eligible for a subsidized loan, to pay for a college education? Alternatively, could that unfortunate person not simply get a full-time job and pursue a college education at night (like I did)? Or join the military service, get skills training in the Army, and save money for college when she is 21 (like I did), rather than 18? Or find an employer (probably a government agency) that is willing to assist with tuition while she works during the day?

Is anyone who is truly "college material" literally unable to go to college in this country? They may exist, but they are unusual cases.

But there is a problem in "higher education" in this country that few are willing to address or even admit that it exists. We have far too many people in college that have no legitimate justification for even being there. They lack the grades, test scores, and/or intelligence to do real college-level coursework, so they take a flurry of "remedial" courses at first, then if they don't fail out in that first year, they start taking bullshit courses in pursuit of a bullshit major and ultimately a bullshit degree, with a hundred thousand dollar invoice shortly to follow. Then they wonder why no employer is willing to pay them a six-figure salary with that shiny new sheepskin.

But of course, Joe Biden will work to have that loan forgiven, so it's not really problem, is it?

Are Democrats too stupid to see the inevitable results of their proposed initiatives, or are they so blindly seeking power that they just don't care?

It is a puzzle.

Joe Biden was gleefully boasting to someone or other that if he is elected President, he will guarantee "free college for EVERYONE!"

That is awesome!!!!
I'm glad Joe has found enough qualified, motivated teachers willing to work for free.

Go Joe!!!

It is a puzzle.

Excellent post.

To take it a step further, I went through my associates in the 1970's and worked hard for it (Mt. SAC). I completed my Baccalaureate in the 1990's and sweated to maintain a 3.9 GPA (CalPoly Pomona). In the 2000's my employers paid for me to earn my MBA (3.97 GPA) which I worked very hard at, a few people here, BriPat, RiceChickie (on another board), were very supportive at the time (UoPX). Then in 2014 I entered a doctoral program and earned an Sc.D (UoPX).

All while working full time. Early on with small children. In the middle as a single father. I busted my ass to EARN the education I have.

This idea that we will toss out "college" to anyone who can't quite write their own name diminishes the achievements and effort of people like you and I who legitimately earned diplomas.

FREE! FREE! It's all FREE! :spinner:

K-12 is free

My property tax bill disagrees.

K-12 insulates the schools from the consumers and allows for the absolute shit education most public schools offer.

Shitheads like this only prevail because they don't answer directly to those they sell service to.

It is a puzzle.

One of your "solutions" is to join the military so that a person can get a college degree. Yes, the military has programs that offer college education, usually at lower cost than if you were a civilian. HOWEVER, being someone who worked in recruiting for my last tour in the Navy, I can tell you that out of all the people in this country who are 18 to 35 years old (age requirements to join the military), I can tell you that only 30 percent of those are qualified to join. Out of that 30 percent who are qualified, only 1 percent actually enlist. Sorry, but joining the military isn't an option for 70 percent of age eligible people in this country. You can be disqualified for many things, medical (asthma, flat feet, etc.), or education (if you graduate H.S. you need only to score 33 or better on the ASVAB, if you don't have a diploma, but just a GED, you need to score 50 or better), as well as you can be disqualified if you have more than 3 misdemeanors or 1 felony (which can be waivered, but only if you have a good interview).

An educated population benefits the country as a whole

A society without SJW's with BA's in transitional gender studies is doomed to failure - comrade.

K-12 is free

Kewl

When do I get the rebate check to the thousands in taxes I paid for it?

Our taxes pay for a lot of stuff. It needs to cover higher education AND universal healthcare.

Other countries do it. We are the wealthiest nation on earth, if they can afford it....we can

Our taxes pay for a lot of stuff. It needs to cover higher education AND universal healthcare.

Other countries do it. We are the wealthiest nation on earth, if they can afford it....we can

So that higher education can match the "quality" of K-12."

A society without SJW's with BA's in transitional gender studies is doomed to failure - comrade.

K-12 is free

Kewl

If it's such a good idea, it should be no problem to pass some constitutional amendments, right?

K-12 is free

Kewl

Sounds like you don't pay any and have no skin in the game.
You're pretty free with other people's money.

So that higher education can match the "quality" of K-12."

Hundreds of millions of Americans have attended public schools and we are the wealthiest nation on earth.

We need to expand it to College

K-12 is free

Kewl

Sounds like you don't pay any and have no skin in the game.
You're pretty free with other people's money.

I have plenty of skin in the game thank you

I just prefer it be spent on education, infrastructure and healthcare than on an overextended military and wasteful taxcuts to those who do not need it.

K-12 is free

Kewl

If it's such a good idea, it should be no problem to pass some constitutional amendments, right?

Article 1, Section 1

Forum List

Back