Zone1 Frankly, I never REALLY understood the forgiveness thing... but then this happened

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
I have always struggled with the forgiveness thing, because or partly bc I love the justice of God that you hear about / read about in Scripture and at the Holy Mass. I've read the entire DR Bible (most accurate translation from the original languages spoken by Christ) and I have heard (non DR) scripture readings at Mass for years and years (If you go to Mass daily for 3 years, you hear the entire Bible, minus some mundanities [though NOT the DR Bible, sadly....:()

So anyhow, I've been Christian all my life, although when I was younger... Need I say more? What do young people know or care about vis a vis GOD? I did my own thing when I was younger and didn't think about God much, even though I was baptized Catholic AND had a religious experience as a teen... It's very easy to fall away from Christ because the whole world (and I was basically in love w/ the world back then) is just very anti-Christ.

But then I got serious about following Jesus, which happened after praying (what protestants seem to think is an UN-Christian thing called) the rosary.

You can blame my love for Christ on the rosary... and in time I began going back to Mass.

In any case, I kind of stumbled at times over this forgiveness stuff... There was this one person in my family I couldn't forgive because it seemed it was an unforgiveable thing the person did. But in time, I began to realize that... well, many things. Suffice it to say that I forgave "as best I could" and went on with my life, trying to forget the immense damage done by this person.

So the other day, I was reading my DR Bible, just opened to a random page... Or was it the Catholic missal I was reading? I read both... Well, in any case... Wait, it was the DR Bible because the readings at Mass are not from the DR... In any case, I was stunned reading this passage on Forgiveness.

Jesus said "Unless you forgive men their transgressions, your [own] transgressions will not be forgiven."

So I zoned in on that "forgive men" thing. It's like He is saying we must forgive all of mankind.

Well, it is rather easy to forgive all of mankind.. in light of thefact that we ourselves are sinners. We do the same things we criticize and condemn others of doing, but we rarely condemn ourselves... so easy to see sin outside ourselves, not within! So easy... so human.

Obviously, Jesus said other things as well about forgiveness, but the point I most want to make is that we have to forgive EVERYONE.

Does that mean everyone we forgive will be off the hook for all eternity for ALL their evil doing? No. And that is what made me stumble. I always felt that if I forgave, God would somehow or other let that person off the hook virtually entirely for all his or her evil. But that is not true. When a person murders someone in cold blood, sometimes the family of the victim forgives, and even lets the perp know he is forgiven by them. But that does not mean he will be released from prison.....

Last edited:
I have always struggled with the forgiveness thing, because or partly bc I love the justice of God that you hear about / read about in Scripture and at the Holy Mass. I've read the entire DR Bible (most accurate translation from the original languages spoken by Christ) and I have heard (non DR) scripture readings at Mass for years and years (If you go to Mass daily for 3 years, you hear the entire Bible, minus some mundanities [though NOT the DR Bible, sadly....:()

So anyhow, I've been Christian all my life, although when I was younger... Need I say more? What do young people know or care about vis a vis GOD? I did my own thing when I was younger and didn't think about God much, even though I was baptized Catholic AND had a religious experience as a teen... It's very easy to fall away from Christ because the whole world (and I was basically in love w/ the world back then) is just very anti-Christ.

But then I got serious about following Jesus, which happened after praying (what protestants seem to think is an UN-Christian thing called) the rosary.

You can blame my love for Christ on the rosary... and in time I began going back to Mass.

In any case, I kind of stumbled at times over this forgiveness stuff... There was this one person in my family I couldn't forgive because it seemed it was an unforgiveable thing the person did. But in time, I began to realize that... well, many things. Suffice it to say that I forgave "as best I could" and went on with my life, trying to forget the immense damage done by this person.
Can you tell us the whole story? What some people define as evil, is different to others. Sometimes some people can even justify murder. Is that what you forgave?

In the end we just have to trust God, that He really WILL establish Justice in the end... We don't like waiting for anything... we Americans in particular.. It's instant gratification for us all the way! And I was never disciplined growing up... so I guess that explains why I didn't wnat to do the hard work for forgiving ... well, certain people. It's easy to forgive all of mankind, NOT so easy forgiving those who ... we think "ruined our lives"

So the other day, I was reading my DR Bible, just opened to a random page... Or was it the Catholic missal I was reading? I read both... Well, in any case... Wait, it was the DR Bible because the readings at Mass are not from the DR... In any case, I was stunned reading this passage on Forgiveness.

Jesus said "Unless you forgive men their transgressions, your [own] transgressions will not be forgiven."

So I zoned in on that "forgive men" thing. It's like He is saying we must forgive all of mankind.

Well, it is rather easy to forgive all of mankind.. in light of thefact that we ourselves are sinners. We do the same things we criticize and condemn others of doing, but we rarely condemn ourselves... so easy to see sin outside ourselves, not within! So easy... so human.

Obviously, Jesus said other things as well about forgiveness, but the point I most want to make is that we have to forgive EVERYONE.

Does that mean everyone we forgive will be off the hook for all eternity for ALL their evil doing? No. And that is what made me stumble. I always felt that if I forgave, God would somehow or other let that person off the hook virtually entirely for all his or her evil. But that is not true. When a person murders someone in cold blood, sometimes the family of the victim forgives, and even lets the perp know he is forgiven by them. But that does not mean he will be released from prison.....
I don't even consider forgiveness for those who don't ask for it. Jesus doesn't forgive the unrepentant, so neither do I...

I don't even consider forgiveness for those who don't ask for it. Jesus doesn't forgive the unrepentant, so neither do I...
lol

I told God that once... Imagine a sinner telling God something! LOL

But that's what ALL prayer entails, more or less.

I said to Him "Why should I forgive [again, i had a mistaken notion of such] when YOU don't?"

And as he is prone to do, he gave me answers little by little... I always understood the overall issue, but... you know how it goes

The devil's in the details :oops:

I can only guess on what you're suggesting was the evil.
My guess for now is that you're suggesting mental cruelty.
Well, that is part of it.

In a way, no matter what I tell you and no matter how many little vignettes I provide

you... No one.. will get it

Then there's the fact I don't like talking about it...

There are myriad ways to "murder" someone...

You know what I mean, right?

Very well said, and especially in the vernacular of the left, who believe that a word means what they want it to mean at any given moment in time.

So they must accept that "forgiveness" will mean whatever we define it to mean at any given moment in time.

Well, that is part of it.

In a way, no matter what I tell you and no matter how many little vignettes I provide

you... No one.. will get it

Then there's the fact I don't like talking about it...
I think I get everything about you. that I find interesting enough to know. Maybe some other time you'll introduce a topic you would like to talk about?

Very well said, and especially in the vernacular of the left, who believe that a word means what they want it to mean at any given moment in time.

So they must accept that "forgiveness" will mean whatever we define it to mean at any given moment in time.

The hardest group of humans I have had to forgive (poor grammar, I know)

liberals!

OMG

They are destroying our entire, once-Christ-centered nation!

But you know... it is NOT our job (I keep reminding myself over and over and over :banghead:) to judge anyone. And while we are hating on them, we are supposed to be ... I kind of feel like gagging... LOL

but we are supposed to be praying FOR

not against them...

I think the fact I find it so so difficult is due to just how awful this world is... How far have we fallen! When I first had a religious experience many many moons ago, I loved everyone... It was absolutely amazing the love that came into my heart... and today... it isvery dormant a lot of the time and it has been.. the love has been... mangled (is the word that comes to mind).

But if you patiently follow Christ, He will show you things...

He shows me the rotten condition of my soul, sometimes in a very clear way... It's not that I am a bad person, it's just that... well, when you see SO much evil in the world and yet you are trying not to be evil yourself.. and on top of that, the evil ones always seem to do so well, economically and otherwise... you just get to the point of being abysmally cynical and etc----

liberals!

OMG

But you know... it is NOT our job (I keep reminding myself over and over and over :banghead:) to judge anyone. And while we are hating on them, we are supposed to be ... I kind of feel like gagging... LOL

not against them...

I think the fact I find it so so difficult is due to just how awful this world is... How far have we fallen! When I first had a religious experience many many moons ago, I loved everyone... It was absolutely amazing the love that came into my heart... and today... it isvery dormant a lot of the time and it has been.. the love has been... mangled (is the word that comes to mind).

He shows me the rotten condition of my soul, sometimes in a very clear way... It's not that I am a bad person, it's just that... well, when you see SO much evil in the world and yet you are trying not to be evil yourself.. and on top of that, the evil ones always seem to do so well, economically and otherwise... you just get to the point of being abysmally cynical and etc----

It is difficult to pray FOR them, but I do every day.

Somehow................................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Nope, not buying it. That suit don't quite fit.

1706205958942.png

LOL

:)

In the end we just have to trust God, that He really WILL establish Justice in the end... We don't like waiting for anything... we Americans in particular.. It's instant gratification for us all the way! And I was never disciplined growing up... so I guess that explains why I didn't wnat to do the hard work for forgiving ... well, certain people. It's easy to forgive all of mankind, NOT so easy forgiving those who ... we think "ruined our lives"

Time is coming.

Soon.

liberals!

OMG

not against them...

Can you at least tell me what is your one biggest disagreement with liberals ?
If you don't want to talk then you should stop throwing the bait.

Was your issue concerning a woman who betrayed you?

Forum List

Back