Francis Keys bridge hit by ship. Bridge collapses, mass casualty event.

Lot of dummy dumb dumb reports early on that the boat sank and was completely submerged. I don’t even know if water is deep enough there to submerge it among other non sinking issues
Correct, the river is not deep enough for the ship to sink in. The bow of the ship is "stuck" in the sand from being weighed down by part of the bridge that fell on it. There are barges with massive cranes headed to the harbor for salvage operations. Hopefully, when they remove the bridge from the ship, it'll level out and can then be maneuvered back to port with tugs boats.

Correct, the river is not deep enough for the ship to sink in. The bow of the ship is "stuck" in the sand from being weighed down by part of the bridge that fell on it. There are barges with massive cranes headed to the harbor for salvage operations. Hopefully, when they remove the bridge from the ship, it'll level out and can then be maneuvered back to port with tugs boats.
So 30 or so feet deep there?

Quick to call the Bridge incident an accident and not foul play before investigating the crew for any suspicious actors, can this be acceptable after finding out hazardous chemicals were spilled out into the water as well?
On top of that it happened right after the water supply threat, and Moscow attack by Isis K.
It's not like Singapore (country of origin owned Container Ship) doesn't have Isis K terrorists cells in their country plotting terrorist attacks globally.
Perfect example and proof they do:
This was not an attack. It was a freak accident caused by a total blackout. NTSB has already mentioned it a few times.

By 1:24 a.m., the ship was underway, sailing at about 8 knots. Within a minute, several alarms start going off, cutting of the ship’s video voyage data recorder while the audio remains, Muise said.

At 1:26 a.m., the ship’s pilot makes a call for tugs in the area to assist, he said. Maryland Transportation Authority data also shows that the pilot’s association called about the ship’s blackout.

A minute later, the pilot commanded the ship to drop the port anchor. The ship also puts out a radio call about its power outage and the likelihood of striking the bridge.

By 1:29, the ship is traveling at 7 knots and strikes the Key Bridge, Muise said.

But shallower where impact occurred?
No. See below. The bottom of the ship almost touches the bottom of the river when level. It may have about 5' of clearance.

1711655140935.png

Are not black boxes designed to survive things ?
The recorders are fine, nothing wrong with them. The video feed is on one recorder and it stopped automatically when the blackout occurred. The other recorder is for data and voice; it continued recording. There is no lost "timeline" as others claim.

Watched the video of the crash, and it looked intentional to me... The smoke coming out of the stack appeared as if the ship was ordered at full power prior to impact.
It looked to me like a ship which had lost power and the current did the rest. It looked like engine power was restored seconds before the hit. It would have taken more than five minutes of power to prevent the crash.

It didn’t appear to be intentional.

It looked to me like a ship which had lost power and the current did the rest. It looked like engine power was restored seconds before the hit. It would have taken more than five minutes of power to prevent the crash.

It didn’t appear to be intentional.
The ship never recovered power. The few seconds before it hit the bridge where you see the lights come back on, that was the emergency generator kicking in.

The ship never recovered power. The few seconds before it hit the bridge where you see the lights come back on, that was the emergency generator kicking in.
when a ship is said to lose power, they are talking about engine power, not electricity. The engine power looked to be restored just seconds before it struck the bridge. Engine power is required to restore the ability to steer the ship.

The engine power would have needed to be restored at least five minutes earlier to avoid the crash.

Let me ask those who know
The lights go out so boat is drifting and they take measures because they thought they would continue to drift? But, power comes back on and thats when rear starts sliding and front turns toward bridge? With power back on they get some speed and power goes out again but now they are drifting right toward bridge and can’t stop nor turn ?
Power has nothing to do with ship's propulsion. They could have had propulsion and still not have avoided hitting the bridge support with little or no rudder control.

when a ship is said to lose power, they are talking about engine power, not electricity. The engine power looked to be restored just seconds before it struck the bridge. Engine power is required to restore the ability to steer the ship.

The engine power would have needed to be restored at least five minutes earlier to avoid the crash.
I believe the ship gets it's electricity from the engine. It's stupid to think they run lights off of a long extension cord. When the engine dies, the electrical circuits die with it. That would explain why the generator on board is deemed a "back up generator".

The ship had a total blackout. There was no power, no electricity, no steering, no rudder, no propulsion, no thrusters .... no anything! There was nothing they could do. If you go back to the beginning of the thread and read thru it, you'll find where I've given info about it. (I live very close to the bridge.)

Not sure specifically in this case, but having been to sea on major ships...

I could see and emergency generator supplying:
  • Emergency interior lights
  • Exterior ships lighting (so other ships can see it and it would be just a black whole in the night)
  • Probably Fire Control monitoring systems and suppression systems
  • And of course Bridge operations including communication systems
But I was an aviation type, not ships maintenance.

WW
You nailed it very well, airedale!

Forum List

Back