Foreign films that don't suck... (it's worth having to read the subtitles)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
(it's worth having to read the subtitles) - the rub.

Pan's Labyrinth
The trailer is stunningly unrepresentative of the movie. Watching the trailer is not going to make you want to see the movie.
It is a very good movie. With a solid storyline. The creatures in the movie are well done and awesome looking.

Troll Hunter

Seriously good brain candy. A little campy... but not too much. Hilarious, action packed and just cool.
Everyone I have told to watch it...ends up liking it after they thought they wouldn't.

South Korea is becoming an important player in international films

The Squid Game is a sensation around the world

Yeah, South Korean movies are far better than today's Hollywood movies.

Squid Game is actually below average for South Korean fare.

Yeah, South Korean movies are far better than today's Hollywood movies.

Squid Game is actually below average for South Korean fare.
It won an award in hollywood for one actress though I thought the old man was better

It is always hard for me to relate to the characters in a foreign movie. However, I really got into each of the characters in Squid Games.

very good movie
Over the years I have found many great foreign movies and loved them. However, my poor vision makes it very hard to read the subtitles so I have to pause the movie when there is much dialog. I wish there was some way to dub so it was not so obvious. Dubbed movies typically have voices that simple do not match the acting which really ruins the movie.

750EABE3-9BCC-4BCB-A849-EFEF1E8ABEAA.jpeg

(it's worth having to read the subtitles) - the rub.

Pan's Labyrinth
The trailer is stunningly unrepresentative of the movie. Watching the trailer is not going to make you want to see the movie.
It is a very good movie. With a solid storyline. The creatures in the movie are well done and awesome looking.

Troll Hunter

Seriously good brain candy. A little campy... but not too much. Hilarious, action packed and just cool.
Everyone I have told to watch it...ends up liking it after they thought they wouldn't.

R-Point is a good film. It's a horror film set in the Vietnam War with Korean soldiers. Not really horror though.

Great South Korean movies:

Science Fiction/Horror:

They somehow manage to make this movie scary and funny at the same time.

Zombie movie:

I should warn you that South Koreans have no qualms about crushing your soul.

Vengeance Trilogy:

Oldboy is so good, Spike Lee made an American version. And he completely fucked it up. Do NOT watch Spike Lee's Oldboy.

The Vengeance movies are unrelated. They don't have to be watched in any particular order.

These vengeance movies involve some serious mindfucking. Hollywood movies, with their heavy reliance on CGI and explosions every five minutes, will forever be lame to you after you watch some good South Korean movies.

Last edited:
Most K-dramas suck. Soap opera crap that teen girls eat up.

However, there is one K-drama which is incredible. It is extremely complicated and intricate. It requires paying very close attention, but it is very much worth it. You have to learn everyone's name, and that makes it harder to follow since they are foreign names and individual characters may be referred to by two different appellations. It takes a while to sort out.

But I promise you, it is worth it.

You can find it on Netflix.

Stranger is a crime drama like Law & Order on steroids. A brilliant, brilliant program.

The two seasons of Stranger:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back