Ford already has 20,000 reservations for new electric F-150 Lightning pickup

Our freight trains are electric.
Wrong

Trains have diesel generators
In the US. less than 1% of trains are electric powered, but in Sweden 100% of their trains are. See #141. Electric trains are the future of our freight. They have been proven to be practical for quite a while.
See post #141

Check, I am with you now.

As everyone keeps pointing out the left wants electric everything but only about 3% of of our electricity comes from solar panels or windmills

The left should embrace nuclear energy
The left wants the best and most sustainable source of energy we can get. No idea why the right doesn't want the same thing.

The leftist dream, a true hybrid.

f150 hybrid.jpg

Looks like there is some interest in this vehicle---When the worlds most popular truck, the F-150, goes electric--it's a sign--of course, a lot of Right wing types won't buy it..since they can't blow a bunch of obnoxious smoke...LOL!

The automaker revealed the vehicle at 9:30 p.m. ET Wednesday night during an elaborate presentation at the company's world headquarters in Dearborn, Mich. The company's shares jumped by about 3% in premarket training.
The reservations are being closely watched by the company as well as investors to gauge the interest of customers in EV pickups, which is an unproven segment that automakers are rushing to enter.
Ford is taking reservations for the vehicle on its website. A refundable $100 deposit is required.

Another win for the good guys.

The battery pack on that stupid truck weights almost a ton and without a load it can hardly go 200 miles on a charge so only an idiot would buy one.

Ford has no worries. All these stupid Democrats in charge of the big city shitholes, Communist states and the Federal government will buy fleets of them with taxpayer's money. It will be a terrible purchase but doing stupid purchases have never stopped Democrats has it?

Thats a very good prediction. I’m disappointed I didn’t say it first.

People buy cars based on their weight or based on how much they can haul? Nobody cares how much a Tesla weighs or the old/new Hummers.

These trucks could make excellent fleet vehicles that stay within urban centers. With the exception of range these can be excellent work trucks, they start off every morning with a full tank, they have an onboard generator for electric tools and their maintenance like most EVs should be about half the cost of gas vehicles.

I'm really thinking you guys are letting your ulterior motives cloud your opinions.

I’m just agreeing that local governments are going to be buying these like crazy and Ford knows it. The capacity and the quality of the truck is irrelevant at this point. That might be a discussion in a few years once the guinea pigs are finished.

I hope they do. That will help improve the vehicle and push us closer to being less reliant on fossil fuels. They also appear to have a pretty good warranty and won't require as much maintenance.
How can EV make us "less reliant on fossil fuels" when they are going to charged by mostly fossil fuel power generation?
The combustion engine isn't as efficient as a power plant. And not all power generation is the same. As our sources of energy become more green then so will our transportation. And whether you like it or not, that's happening.

But let's go with a real world example that didn't really exist 10 or 15 years ago. That would be home solar. I have solar and I could park and charge this truck in my garage and fill it up for free. Currently I'm selling power back to the utility company so I have energy to spare, so do millions of others who already have solar.

Now with home solar you won't be able to fill up at night however home battery systems that will store electricity from your solar panels are increasing in use as they become more affordable so that will also help to charge the vehicles with zero emissions and on your own system, no need to employ a utility company at all.

However, like I said those utility companies will also continue to transition away from coal.

You do know that the batteries do not produce energy, don't you? All they do is (poorly) store electricity generated elsewhere.

I think everyone has a basic understanding that batteries store not generate power, but I dig your oversimplified and inept 'own the libs' strategy.

About maintenance. After a few years of operation they will all need to have their batteries replaced, at a tremendous cost. This is after they have been losing efficiency.

A few? How many years? How much has the EV user saved by fewer moving parts breaking and needing replacement, oil changes and other maintenance items that EVs don't require let alone cheaper energy costs?

Another thing. Why would you want your family driving down the road on a ton of batteries that the USPS won't even allow to be shipped parcel post?

Right, strap them down to a 20-50 gallon tank of flammable liquid instead. Have you tried shipping a gallon of gas?

Right now solar and wind in the US accounts for about 5% of the power generation. If I remember correctly 7% from hydro power. We have dammed up every river in the US that we can so don't expect anymore from that source.

There is no way we are going to put in enough inefficient solar collectors and those inefficient wind mills to make up for anywhere near the 88% we get from fossil and nuclear. If we ever got to 20% that would be a miracle.

I takes about 7KW to charge up one of these small EV battery banks. That is about what an average size home uses.

Until we find a way to generate the same amount of electricity from other sources as we do from fossil fuels then we are just playing a stupid shell game.

The real answer has always been fusion nuclear power. However, the Environmental Wackos have managed to shut down the FFTF reactor at Hanford, which was the best test bed in the world to develop that technology.

Fusion power is just about the only technology that has the promise to replace fossil fuels at the levels we need power nowadays.

By the way, the fossil fuel power generators have a similar efficiency loss to an internal combustion engine.

So what is the difference of burning the fuel at the generation source (with the distribution and battery deterioration loss) to charge electric vehicles or burning it in the vehicle themselves? In physics there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I didn't read your whole post.

I usually scroll by your posts without reading but your paragraph saying until we find a way to generate the same amount of energy from other sources as we do fossil fuels we are playing a stupid shell game caught my eye.

My state has done exactly what you claim isn't and can't be done.

My state started shutting down our last coal fire plant in 2005. It's probably completely shutdown now.

We don't get most of our energy from fossil fuels. My state gets most of our energy from water, 60%. The rest is from wind, solar, natural gas and a little nuclear.

We started building one of the largest wind farms in my state in the 1990s. When it first came on line it generated too much energy for the existing grid to handle. So we voted to raise our taxes to build a new grid.

The result, we now have more energy than we use. We sell our excess energy to other states for a profit and we have the second lowest energy rates in the nation.

You are full of garbage.

How do you know if I am "full of garbage" if you don't read what I write? LOL!

Typical arrogant Moon Bat denial of reality. That is why we ridicule you for being dumbasses so much.

Battery powered vehicles is a piss poor idea and a lot of people are going find that out in the future.

However, you can't teach a Moon Bat anything. They are incapable of learning anything.

The ONLY good thing about battery powered vehicles is that they are quiet.

Nothing else. Otherwise a terrible idea.

Again, pulling into a battery station vending machine is safer (with cameras and no chance of spills) and takes even less time than petroleum addiction fixes.

Seems like a big win for American automaker Ford. Hope it holds up to the work.

The left wants the best and most sustainable source of energy we can get. No idea why the right doesn't want the same thing.
Not true

The left rejects nuclear power and the right does not

Conservatives make rational decisions while libs operate on emotion
Your rhetoric and accusations are proof of nothing

The battery pack on that stupid truck weights almost a ton and without a load it can hardly go 200 miles on a charge so only an idiot would buy one.

Ford has no worries. All these stupid Democrats in charge of the big city shitholes, Communist states and the Federal government will buy fleets of them with taxpayer's money. It will be a terrible purchase but doing stupid purchases have never stopped Democrats has it?

Please post links to where it says it can hardly go 200 miles on a charge.

Not true

Interesting. Was storming our nations capitol building rational or emotional? Was creating a gallows to hang Mike Pence rational or emotional? You tell me.

Was storming our nations capitol building rational or emotional? Was creating a gallows to hang Mike Pence rational or emotional? You tell me.
You have me there

It was pretty emotional at times

Do you defend the black lies matter riots?

I think conservatives are more likely to hold the rioters on 6-1 accountable than for libs to own up to what your side has been doing for over a year

Not true

Your rhetoric and accusations are proof of nothing
Like the man said, you can run from the obvious choice of nuclear power

But you cant hide

Please post links to where it says it can hardly go 200 miles on a charge.
Ford claims 250 miles on one charge. Of course that is empty, one passenger, not pulling anything and in warm weather on level roads. Once you start loading the truck up (like people tend to do with trucks) or start pulling things or taking it out in cold weather then that range is going to drop considerably.

Our freight trains are electric.
Wrong

Trains have diesel generators
In the US. less than 1% of trains are electric powered, but in Sweden 100% of their trains are. See #141. Electric trains are the future of our freight. They have been proven to be practical for quite a while.
See post #141

Check, I am with you now.

As everyone keeps pointing out the left wants electric everything but only about 3% of of our electricity comes from solar panels or windmills

The left should embrace nuclear energy

Indeed.

Children mining for cobalt and lithium to supply the batteries, in the Congo.

Most sustainable.

I totally want one, but will likely wait for gen two 2023 edition late next year. The current base model goes 230 miles on a charge with an expanded battery that will do 300. 230 is plenty for me. I very rarely drive more than 4 hours at a time.

Forum List

Back