For this British woman, living alone and terrified....I suggest a 9mm or .45 caliber pistol....oh...she lives in Britain....she's a victim.......

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
In America, a woman in this situation could go to a gun store, take some classes and buy a pistol, rifle or shotgun.......then, when she was woken up in the middle of the night, afraid a violent monster was about to break into her home, she could use the pistol to make sure she was safe, then calmly wait for the police to check out around her home....

In Britain...this woman will simply have to be terrified for the rest of her life.......never knowing when the sound she hears will turn out to be an actual rapist....or rapists, or killers who will do what they want to her, and then leave.......

Which way would you want to handle this issue if you are a single woman living alone?

I try to recall through my panic the things I have done to mitigate the chances of an attack: the locks all double bolted, the keys taken out and placed far away so that if a person smashed through the glass they couldn’t easily open them. When I was terribly afraid one night I took a small sharp knife and hid it in a secret place accessible from where I sit in my bed. I can take it out without making much noise. There is another creak from the hallway, and I silently retrieve the blade from its hiding place and hold it in one hand and my phone in the other. I sit there like this, rigid with conviction and terror, for more than an hour. No thoughts pass through my head in this time apart from keen listening for the next noise and what direction it comes from, strategising my escape. Can I be sure they are coming from the area I think they are, or could they be coming from both sides? Is it wise to lock myself in a toilet? Am I strong and small enough to break through that window if necessary?

Eventually, I accept that I am too frightened to move to check whether someone is outside my bedroom door one way or the other, and that the elapsed time means that it is unlikely they are there. I put the knife back in its place and turn on the two lamps on either side of my bed, and a podcast so that it might sound to somebody outside that there are several people in this room. I lie back down and practise some breathing exercises to try to sleep. It’s now perhaps 4am and I have lost half of my allotted rest. I am useless and angry when I wake up, aware of the absurdity of my fear and that I have allowed it, by indulging, to ruin my day.

This happens two, three, sometimes four times a month. Twice as many times as that I am woken in the middle of the night with dreams that somebody is entering my window or sitting on my bed, terrors which are both more and less intense because they are unconscious, but which mean just the same that my sleep is robbed and fragmented, my body feeling as if it has been through a battle when it wakes in the morning.

Hey....caveman, tommy tainant, and the other left wing, anti-gun fascists.........what do you suggest this woman should do....?

Please...enlighten us.....

Last edited:
Guns in Scotland? ... yeah, right ... we need to let the British manage themselves, they're not Americans, we can't expect them to understand freedom ...

Sounds like the woman has mental health issues and wouldn't be allowed to own a gun in the USA ... I'm surprised you didn't know that's the law here ... nothing scarier than a gun-nut with no respect for Law and Order ...

I hope that Ms. Nolan saves enough back to have bullet-proof, burglar proof metal doors and fittings throughout her lovely home, gets a pit bull puppy and a cat that will do away with the rats that are making nocturnal creak noises. Prayers up for Ms. Nolan's security. :hands:

Guns in Scotland? ... yeah, right ... we need to let the British manage themselves, they're not Americans, we can't expect them to understand freedom ...

Sounds like the woman has mental health issues and wouldn't be allowed to own a gun in the USA ... I'm surprised you didn't know that's the law here ... nothing scarier than a gun-nut with no respect for Law and Order ...
BINGO! There we are with that phrase that pops up in so many discussions about 2A and gun safety. The phrase that translates to "I have nothing of actual relevance to add to this discussion". The phrase -- GUN NUT.

Put it in that growing list of phrases that people say when they disagree with you, but are not intellectually equipped to give you a valid reason why -- phrases like "conspiracy theorist", "racist", "fascist", "anti-vaxxer", and on and on ad nauseam.

She can own a rifle or shotgun in England.

Yeah....keep telling yourself that......getting that license is almost impossible for people like her....

BINGO! There we are with that phrase that pops up in so many discussions about 2A and gun safety. The phrase that translates to "I have nothing of actual relevance to add to this discussion". The phrase -- GUN NUT.

I pointed out that the UK is a representative republic ... over half the people there don't want wide-spread gun-ownership ... or they'd vote differently ... but you'd rather focus on a word that (apparently) is considered derogatory where you live ... sad, "gun-nut" is a term of endearment here in The West among my fellow gun-nuts ...

Hiding something? ...

I suggest one of these instead of that cat... the problem will disappear right quick.

gsd.jpg

I pointed out that the UK is a representative republic ... over half the people there don't want wide-spread gun-ownership ... or they'd vote differently ... but you'd rather focus on a word that (apparently) is considered derogatory where you live ... sad, "gun-nut" is a term of endearment here in The West among my fellow gun-nuts ...

Hiding something? ...
I'm supposed to attempt to have a conversation with you after post #6? I think not, jackoff.

A dog prevents the situation from occurring in the first place.
I own three guns, but none provide the comfort our 72 lb. GSD provides.
I will probably lose my current dog fairly soon and although I have never been a fan of the GSD, I may reconsider my opinion when choosing my next dog.

I suggest one of these instead of that cat... the problem will disappear right quick.

View attachment 597795
No dog is more loving and comforting to its owner and a threat extraordinaire to a home invader, than a pit bull, and their short hair is a plus. And if they multiply, they're very coveted by people who hear about their loyalty and loving obedience to their owners and impairment and ferocity to interlopers.

No dog is more loving and comforting to its owner and a threat extraordinaire to a home invader, than a pit bull, and their short hair is a plus. And if they multiply, they're very coveted by people who hear about their loyalty and ferocity to interlopers.
The two pitties that live next door are the sweetest, most loving dogs, and are fiercely protective of any of the neighbors near them. They absolutely adore the children that live across the back fence.

Forum List

Back