Florida Senate Discussing Tax Hike For EV Owners

I road use tax would be based on mileage.

Gas Taxes are not a road use tax they are a consumption tax based on gallons purchased. Doesn't matter if that gallon of gas will drive the vehicle 15 miles or 40. Gas taxes are based on the consumption of gas.

Now true, the intent of the tax is to finance roads, no disagreement there. But the method of collection is consumption.

WW
It's a distinction without a difference as the gasoline taxes are earmarked for road maintenance.

And technically gas taxes are excise taxes.

It's a distinction without a difference as the gasoline taxes are earmarked for road maintenance.

Actually the difference between a consumption tax on gas and switching to a mileage tax is very different.

For a gas tax it doesn't make any difference, the same rate is charged regardless of the mileage of the vehicle per gallon based on a gallon of gas. Doesn't matter if I'm driving a 1970's truck getting 10 miles to the gallon or a new gas efficient car getting 40 miles to the gallon. The same RATE is charged per gallon. Now true, if both the 1970's truck and new car travel 10,000 miles per year, the truck owner is going to pay more in taxes because they buy more gallons to reach that distance. That's why it's a consumption tax based on gas usage.

On the other hand for a mileage rate, both the 1970's truck and the new car are going to pay the same in tax dollars for driving 10,000 miles in a year. It's not based on gas, it's not based on KWh, it's based on odometer readings.

So on a per mile metric the amount of tax people pay per mile varies depending on the MPG of the vehicle for a gas tax. While with a mileage tax the MPG of the vehicle becomes irrelevant.

So to repeat, I don't have an issue moving to a mileage tax system. I also don't have a problem charging EV owners a consumption tax on kWh used to charge. My point is that the system should be the SAME basis for both ICE and EV. Either a consumption tax on "go juice" for both or a mileage tax on both. But not "go juice" for one and mileage for the other.

And technically gas taxes are excise taxes.

Technically, for the purposes of this conversation there is no difference between the gas tax being called a consumption or excise tax.

Both are based on the sale of goods.

WW

Actually the difference between a consumption tax on gas and switching to a mileage tax is very different.

For a gas tax it doesn't make any difference, the same rate is charged regardless of the mileage of the vehicle per gallon based on a gallon of gas. Doesn't matter if I'm driving a 1970's truck getting 10 miles to the gallon or a new gas efficient car getting 40 miles to the gallon. The same RATE is charged per gallon. Now true, if both the 1970's truck and new car travel 10,000 miles per year, the truck owner is going to pay more in taxes because they buy more gallons to reach that distance. That's why it's a consumption tax based on gas usage.

On the other hand for a mileage rate, both the 1970's truck and the new car are going to pay the same in tax dollars for driving 10,000 miles in a year. It's not based on gas, it's not based on KWh, it's based on odometer readings.

So on a per mile metric the amount of tax people pay per mile varies depending on the MPG of the vehicle for a gas tax. While with a mileage tax the MPG of the vehicle becomes irrelevant.

So to repeat, I don't have an issue moving to a mileage tax system. I also don't have a problem charging EV owners a consumption tax on kWh used to charge. My point is that the system should be the SAME basis for both ICE and EV. Either a consumption tax on "go juice" for both or a mileage tax on both. But not "go juice" for one and mileage for the other.

Technically, for the purposes of this conversation there is no difference between the gas tax being called a consumption or excise tax.

Both are based on the sale of goods.

WW
Yes it is different the mileage tax is more equitable.

Makes sense
Drivers should pay for the roads they use

But Florida?
How much road maintenance is there in Florida?

They don’t have to plow snow or salt the roads
The roads don’t go through freeze/ thaw cycles
You really are stupid.

Yes it is different the mileage tax is more equitable.

I agree.

A tax per mile is more equitable and if that is the way to go, then there should be 1 rate and it should apply to ICE vehicles and EV's.

(I could be open to different rates for:
  • Motorcycles (2-3 wheel)
  • Personal Vehicles (sedans, SUV's, light trucks)
  • Commercial Vehicles (Panel Vans, Heavy Trucks)
  • Tractor Trailers.
Each breaks out a different general weight class which have differing impacts on road longevity. Lighter vehicles of course having less impact that larger heavier vehicles.

WW

I agree.

A tax per mile is more equitable and if that is the way to go, then there should be 1 rate and it should apply to ICE vehicles and EV's.

(I could be open to different rates for:
  • Motorcycles (2-3 wheel)
  • Personal Vehicles (sedans, SUV's, light trucks)
  • Commercial Vehicles (Panel Vans, Heavy Trucks)
  • Tractor Trailers.
Each breaks out a different general weight class which have differing impacts on road longevity. Lighter vehicles of course having less impact that larger heavier vehicles.

WW
Exactly.

wow, lets attack EV's because you're a republican hick and can't stand something new attacking your pet. lol....What a bunch of fake you people are. Florida is becoming a shit hole.

wow, lets attack EV's because you're a republican hick and can't stand something new attacking your pet. lol....What a bunch of fake you people are. Florida is becoming a shit hole.

I guess I'm confused. Most of us have been having a reasonable discussion about road maintenance and what is a reasonable method of collecting taxes from EV using to help pay for the roads they drive on. Taxes which in the past have been raised though a consumption tax on gasoline, but since EV's don't run on gasoline they are using infrastructure they are not currently supporting to the same degree as other vehicles.

So what is you opinion:
  • EV owners should not be taxed to support infrastructure at all?
  • EV owners should pay a flat fee at registration and annually thereafter as a "Road Maintenance Fee" with the fee being in the same range as ICE drivers pay in gas taxes per year?
  • EV owners should pay a mileage rate annually based on miles driven the last year?
  • EV owners should pay a consumption tax on the kWh of electricity dedicated to charging their vehicles (similar to the gas tax that ICE owners pay when they by gas).
So what are your thoughts?

WW

Yep. Total shit hole for little blue Smurfs. No one there wants the little pests.
And I hear Smurfs there are being eliminated like disease carrying rodents. (which is a pretty good description)
If you're not far FAR EXTREME Right.......better steer clear of Florida

Last edited:

Forum List

Back