Florida passes a bill that fines Big Tech for banning candidates...DeSantis strikes again

The left hates and has always hated free expression. Leftists here support censorship because they love totalitarian government.

A company has the right to refuse service to anyone, that includes publishing lies, conspiracy theories and BS.

Now, the right wing is delighted that the "Gubmint" is forcing companies to publish their BS.

Wrong.
When you are open to the public, you can not discriminate based on what you subjectively like or don't like.
If you have standards, like a dress code at a restaurant, then you have to post them ahead of time and they have to apply equally to all.

Ronny D swinging his big bat around. This bill has some nice teeth.

POST THE STANDARDS AND THEN APPLY THEM CONSISTENTLY? What a concept!

Not a snowball's chance in hell of getting past the supreme court.
On what grounds? States fine companies all the time.
Sure, but they generally have to break a law before they are fined. This is about trump being able to tweet. Don't try to pretend it is anything else.

I don't like Trump, but it is totally and completely illegal to prevent him from Tweeting.
Trump Tweeting is political speech, which is obviously protected against discrimination like Twitter did.
On top of that, arbitrary denial of service violated the FCC regulations Twitter agreed to when allowed to conduct business on the internet.
Twitter is totally in violation.

We have a McCarthy era phrase in our pledge.

Exodus 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Yes, slander and inciting violence are the only 2 things a provider like Twitter can legally censor.

"bill sponsor Ray Rodrigues, R-Estero, said “big tech is not a free market” and that the state has a role in regulating such companies."

If the data barons take on such a fight and lose, and they certainly COULD, it would potentially ruin them. The go-to slur against those who are complaining of unfair behavior is "it's a private business". States are FULLY within their rights to regulate such businesses WITHIN THAT STATE. If Dorsey, Cuckberg, and scum at Google refuse to be held to a reasonable standard, then they can stop doing their "private business" in Florida. Easy solution, innit?
So you think they should have to bake the damn cake, right? I thought you said private businesses shouldn't have to participate in something they didn't agree with.

Definitely bakers should bake any cake any customer orders.
When open to the public, you can't discriminate.

Americans aren't free. If they were free they would be free to discriminate

I love my governor............you all should be jealous.

View attachment 484681

DeSantis sucks just like his daddy.

"My daddy can't tweet so I'm gonna pass a law, so he can".

Why do you love the Democratic Party more than you love average Americans?

Sure, but they generally have to break a law before they are fined. This is about trump being able to tweet. Don't try to pretend it is anything else.

I don't like Trump, but it is totally and completely illegal to prevent him from Tweeting.
Trump Tweeting is political speech, which is obviously protected against discrimination like Twitter did.
On top of that, arbitrary denial of service violated the FCC regulations Twitter agreed to when allowed to conduct business on the internet.

I didn't know Twitter was a government agency.
The First Amendment only protects your speech from government censorship. It applies to federal, state, and local government actors. This is a broad category that includes not only lawmakers and elected officials, but also public schools and universities, courts, and police officers. It does not include private citizens, businesses, and organizations. This means that:

• A private school can suspend students for criticizing a school policy;
  • A private business can fire an employee for expressing political views on the job; and
  • A private media company can refuse to publish or broadcast opinions it disagrees with.

The left hates and has always hated free expression. Leftists here support censorship because they love totalitarian government.

A company has the right to refuse service to anyone, that includes publishing lies, conspiracy theories and BS.

Now, the right wing is delighted that the "Gubmint" is forcing companies to publish their BS.

Wrong.
When you are open to the public, you can not discriminate based on what you subjectively like or don't like.
If you have standards, like a dress code at a restaurant, then you have to post them ahead of time and they have to apply equally to all.

That's true, that applies to social media too.

They have standards and the are posted in their terms of service agreement.

The 5 mile long legal agreement, no one reads and clicks anyway.

So, they don't have to publish anything that violates that.

No, it isn't.

If you violate the terms of service on the US message board, they can ban you, for weeks, months or permanently.

Virtually every one on here post political speech.

The denial of service doesn't violate any FCC regulation.

The FCC regulation is about the FCC NOT preventing any broadcaster to broadcast what they see fit.

I love my governor............you all should be jealous.

View attachment 484681

DeSantis sucks just like his daddy.

"My daddy can't tweet so I'm gonna pass a law, so he can".

Why do you love the Democratic Party more than you love average Americans?

The Trump cult aren't "average" by any means.

The courts quickly and easily will overturn this if it ever becomes law.

The tech companies are private business, and government cannot give or take away free speech.

The tech companies are not private businesses because they actually are just subdividing the public internet.
It is not like they are running their own network or anything remotely owned by them.
Of course the government can give free speech.
All businesses are require to fair use agreements and are prohibited by law from discriminating.
Twitter and Facebook do not have a leg to stand on legally, and have always been conducting business in a dubious manner.
Since they are open to the public, the only legal basis they can censor on are if a person is committing slander or inciting violence.
Public versus private means government versus non-government private industry. The tech industry is not "government".

Furthermore the free speech provision of the 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution PROHIBITS the government from interfering with "the people's" right to free speech or freedom of expression. A private company can set up rules for utilizing their platform just like U.S. Message Board has rules for having an account here and participating in the discussions and anyone who refuses to comply with said rules can be ejected.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept

Seems to me all any tech company needs to do is to put a disclaimer on its site with message that it isn't intended for Floridians and that they should access it at their own risk. I see no viable means for the state to enforce this legislation outside its own government computers tied to state's network. Is Florida going to go the China route and tell internet service providers within the state which sites are restricted? I just don't get it, a little help here please.

Last edited:
If Facebook is a monopoly, then it needs to be broken up, like AT&T... Same with the other big tech...if they are Monopolies, they need to be broken up, by the Federal govt.

what DeSantis and his Senate has done, is simply showmanship!

The Show Must Go On!!!!

There is no business,
like Show Business!

Such is the authoritarian right.

Why shouldnt the posting standards be publicly posted and adhered to without biased and applied equally.

One can post all day long about the 2016 election being stolen by Trump....but not the 2020 election being stolen.

That seems arbitrary.
Such is the authoritarian right’s contempt for the First Amendment – freedom of the press, freedom of association.

Not necessarily – we have a very conservative Supreme Court whose rightist majority is just as authoritarian.

A more accurate name for the bill would be the. " I'm pouting because they won't let trump tweet, so I'm gonna pass a stupid bill."

What bothers me most about this crap is the orwellian way they pretend they're concerned about free speech, as they propose The Ministry Of Truth.

It isn't about free speech. It is about how elections are conducted in the state of Florida.

It's a power grab. The state has seen the impact of social media and they, both sides, want to control it.
Wrong.

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

The authoritarian effort to use the power of government to enact punitive measures against private social media is the sole purview of the right.

This is as ignorant as it is wrong.

There’s nothing ‘illegal’ about Twitter denying Trump access to its platform.

Private social media have the First Amendment right to freedom of association; the right to exclude from participation whomever it wishes for whatever reason.

Wrong.
At least you’re consistent at being ignorant and wrong.

Private online social media are not the same concerning Commerce Clause jurisprudence with regard to public accommodations.

Forum List

Back