Florida passes a bill that fines Big Tech for banning candidates...DeSantis strikes again

ColonelAngus

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2015
Ronny D swinging his big bat around. This bill has some nice teeth.

POST THE STANDARDS AND THEN APPLY THEM CONSISTENTLY? What a concept!

Not a snowball's chance in hell of getting past the supreme court.

As everyone knows...without members, they wouldn't even be a social media in the first place. So, if everyone actually took a strong stand, and disconnect from them, maybe they will get the picture once they find out their revenues from ads start to slip dramatically. Because, since no one is using these platforms, there is no one that are clicking on the ads. So, therefore the ads are just clogging up the platforms as bots.

Yeah, I know it would never happen. We have been so adapted to these social media platforms, there will always be new members that are so clueless to what they are getting themselves into.

Florida Man....Big Tech can always pull out.

Great, have them pull out. While you're at it, have Delta and Coca Cola pull out of Georgia.

Last edited:

Yep---creating a vacumm that someone else will fill.....

I think it is the other way around.
That only by preposting and applying equally are any standards for censorship legal.
Internet media like FaceBook and Twitter are not private.
They not only are open to the public so can not discriminate, but they just use and sublet public internet, which is regulated by the FCC for fairness.

I love my governor............you all should be jealous.

1619573521316.png

Why shouldnt the posting standards be publicly posted and adhered to without biased and applied equally.

One can post all day long about the 2016 election being stolen by Trump....but not the 2020 election being stolen.

That seems arbitrary.

The courts quickly and easily will overturn this if it ever becomes law.

The tech companies are private business, and government cannot give or take away free speech.

The tech companies are not private businesses because they actually are just subdividing the public internet.
It is not like they are running their own network or anything remotely owned by them.
Of course the government can give free speech.
All businesses are require to fair use agreements and are prohibited by law from discriminating.
Twitter and Facebook do not have a leg to stand on legally, and have always been conducting business in a dubious manner.
Since they are open to the public, the only legal basis they can censor on are if a person is committing slander or inciting violence.

I disagree but we will see. I don't see it as fundamentally any different than the California Consumer Privacy Act that imposes special rules for big tech.

The tech companies are private business, and government cannot give or take away free speech.

The tech companies are not private businesses because they actually are just subdividing the public internet.
It is not like they are running their own network or anything remotely owned by them.
Of course the government can give free speech.
All businesses are require to fair use agreements and are prohibited by law from discriminating.
Twitter and Facebook do not have a leg to stand on legally, and have always been conducting business in a dubious manner.
Since they are open to the public, the only legal basis they can censor on are if a person is committing slander or inciting violence.
Your argument is an easy fail.

"bill sponsor Ray Rodrigues, R-Estero, said “big tech is not a free market” and that the state has a role in regulating such companies."

If the data barons take on such a fight and lose, and they certainly COULD, it would potentially ruin them. The go-to slur against those who are complaining of unfair behavior is "it's a private business". States are FULLY within their rights to regulate such businesses WITHIN THAT STATE. If Dorsey, Cuckberg, and scum at Google refuse to be held to a reasonable standard, then they can stop doing their "private business" in Florida. Easy solution, innit?

A more accurate name for the bill would be the. " I'm pouting because they won't let trump tweet, so I'm gonna pass a stupid bill."

What bothers me most about this crap is the orwellian way they pretend they're concerned about free speech, as they propose The Ministry Of Truth.

A more accurate name for the bill would be the. " I'm pouting because they won't let trump tweet, so I'm gonna pass a stupid bill."

What bothers me most about this crap is the orwellian way they pretend they're concerned about free speech, as they propose The Ministry Of Truth.

It isn't about free speech. It is about how elections are conducted in the state of Florida.

On what grounds? States fine companies all the time.

What part of banning speech is covered by the First Amendment?

Forum List

Back