Florida new anti-riot law

I am a little surprised the left is so against this....I mean they have been whining about Govt agents having qualified immunity...this law takes that away from Govt Officials that get in the way of protecting citizens from mobs...isn't that a good thing?

Come on now. When it comes to choosing between good and evil, who do Democrats always choose sides with?

Wanna bet? Chauvin is going to be convicted and it will mark the beginning of the end of police immunity. Shoot a few protestors without cause and we'll see more police behind bars for murder.

No, what you'll see is what you seen after Ferguson known as the Ferguson effect. Police will only respond to calls they receive. If they see somebody making a drug deal on the corner of your street, they'll act like they didn't see a thing. Somebody driving two or three times the speed limit on your street, they'll just keep reading the paper and ignore it. A woman getting her purse snatched, let her call dispatch if they want me to help her, or she can go to the police station to fill out a report.

Gun and violent crime was at a consistent decrease since the early 90's. It went back on the incline once the Ferguson effect kicked in. It's doing the same thing today, and as long as the commies are yelling to lock up cops and defund the police, it will only get worse.

That's true. The outrage over the murder of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and the thousands of other people of color the police have slain without cause is widespread. And here's your link.

Oh please. Monkey this up is a term people have been using since I was a kid not specific to race. Monkey this up means screw it up. It wasn't on his mind. Only liberals relate monkeys to blacks--not Republicans.

For those of you on the left confused as to what real leadership looks like, all you have to do is look at Republican Governor Ron DeSantis. Harsher penalties for rioters and you cannot damage any monuments of any kind. In those commie parts of the state, it would fine all local governments who interfere with policing during a riot.

This is how to do things the RIGHT way.

Too bad there wasn't tougher laws in DC, they would have come in handy on Jan 6th.
And it's Republicans making the laws tougher. Why do you think democrats won't?

i don't have any problem with any law that increases penalties for those who commit theft, robbery, assault during protests. The problem is, laws like this are never so clear, cut and dry. During protests many peaceful protestors are gathered up and charged with all sorts of things just for being there. Just recently an asian cnn reporter was arrested, met with racism, strip searched, given an orange jumpsuit and placed in jail for simply covering the protests. Did she fit the profile for a violent rioter? This didn't even happen during the capitol riots, to actual ppl looking to overthrow the government that day, many of which belong to white nationalist and neo nazi groups. White priviledge truly is great. Laws such as this are almost always some sort of preamble to restrict the rights of citizens even further, even neo nazis. No good will come of this.

i don't have any problem with any law that increases penalties for those who commit theft, robbery, assault during protests. The problem is, laws like this are never so clear, cut and dry. During protests many peaceful protestors are gathered up and charged with all sorts of things just for being there. Just recently an asian cnn reporter was arrested, met with racism, strip searched, given an orange jumpsuit and placed in jail for simply covering the protests. Did she fit the profile for a violent rioter? This didn't even happen during the capitol riots, to actual ppl looking to overthrow the government that day, many of which belong to white nationalist and neo nazi groups. White priviledge truly is great. Laws such as this are almost always some sort of preamble to restrict the rights of citizens even further, even neo nazis. No good will come of this.

Any link to the CNN reporter because I never heard of that. I can't believe she got arrested without doing something wrong or disobeying police orders. That would infringe on her constitutional rights. The laws are already on the books for rioting, looting and destroying private and public property. All this law does is increase the penalties to make it a stronger deterrent.

For those of you on the left confused as to what real leadership looks like, all you have to do is look at Republican Governor Ron DeSantis. Harsher penalties for rioters and you cannot damage any monuments of any kind. In those commie parts of the state, it would fine all local governments who interfere with policing during a riot.

Too bad there wasn't tougher laws in DC, they would have come in handy on Jan 6th.

In addition, too bad that these laws weren’t in place throughout the US in 2020 were being burnt and looted. It also didn’t help when leaders and celebrities were funding the bail for perpetrators who had been arrested. By January 6, precedent had been set. Florida is taking lead to prevent any such riots from any side.

There is no such thing as "White Privilege" in America.

The problem with the conservative motto is it runs up against liberty and rights. Every time.

Burning down cities is what you call liberty? Where is this right written that says you can start police cars on fire and rob Walgreen's stores when you're pissed about something?

Funny. You are the only one saying that. Do you always lie?

Local officials can be sued if protests get out of hand. Law is going to force them to clamp down on protests of any kind.

Jail time for blocking streets. So huge groups of peaceful protestors have no space to protest do they?

It's fine line (but that's not a problem for authoritarian loving wingers).
Like you haven't seen groups of 20,30, 40 supposed protestors surrounding cars on the roads and harassing, threatening and attacking drivers?

Like you haven't seen groups of 20,30, 40 supposed protestors surrounding cars on the roads and harassing, threatening and attacking drivers?

Plus those protests did turn into riots from coast to coast. I've yet to see any local politician get sued over it.

Democrats will have a big issue with this. First the Voter ID laws which actually restricts democrats to legal votes, a huge blow to winning elections, and now a law that actually holds protesters to PROTESTING! You know, walking down the sidewalk carrying signs peacefully. This could really mess with democrats desire to social-reengineer.

Last edited:

Interesting that the law mandates how much localities must spend on law enforcement. Big government is OK is you control the government I guess.
Militarizing the police....wonder what DeSantis is up to.

Here's a general rundown of the Florida anti-riot bill (leftists are already flipping out - ha ha) >>

1. grants civil legal immunity to people who drive through protesters blocking a road.

2.. allows authorities to hold arrested demonstrators from posting bail until after their first court date. (screw you ACLU, BLM, et al)

3. increases the charge for battery on a police officer during a riot. (in case anybody doesn't know what "battery" means in Florida, it is any unrequested touching, and includes things being thrown)

4. adds language that could force local governments to justify a reduction in law enforcement budgets. (thereby stopping them from defunding police)

5. allows people to sue local governments over personal or property damages, if they were determined to have interfered with law enforcement response, during civil unrest.
(not gonna be any Mayor Wheeler or Durkans here)

6. increases penalties for protesters who block roadways or deface public monuments.

7. creates a new crime, "mob intimidation."

Democrats will have a big issue with this. First the Voter ID laws which actually restricts democrats to legal votes, a huge blow to winning elections, and now a law thart actually holds protesters to PROTESTING! You know, walking down the sidewalk carrying signs peacefully. This could really mess with democrats desire to social-reengineer.

I think what they are really afraid of is people will not be that interested in just protesting. Many I'm sure are hoping it will turn into a riot. It's kind of like people watch NASCAR to see the accidents. If there's no accidents, then it's pretty boring.

Nobody is stopping them from rioting, but you just can't do it in a Republican state. You want to riot, riot in Portland.

Forum List

Back