Florida County Sheriff Brilliantly Used Algorithm To Arrest Criminals Before They Commited A Crime

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"A central Florida sheriff built an algorithm meant to predict which people in his jurisdiction were likely to commit a crime in the future. Former employees of the sheriff's office said deputies were instructed to visit the homes of people the algorithm selected, charge them with zoning violations, and make arrests for any reason they could. Those violations and arrests were then fed back into the algorithm, according to the Tampa Bay Times."

I always thought Minority Report was a pretty good movie but I didn't think we would have a sheriff brilliant enough to make it a reality -- this will be a major break-thru in law enforcement - and it will also trigger the libs who will cry about civil liberties and all of that crap.....

In one example, police came to some 15 yr-old kid's door because the algorithm identified he was in the "Top 5" at risk of committing more crimes -- they showed up at the kid's house 21 times; that kid was so triggered that after one visit, he passed out and his moms had to rush him to the emergency room...I bet whatever crime he was thinking about committing, he won't be doing that now...some groups are opposed to these types of tactics; but I think they can work great -- there was a study that was done that showed this police tactic didn't do much to reduce crime -- but I feel more time is needed to know for sure...

The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

"A central Florida sheriff built an algorithm meant to predict which people in his jurisdiction were likely to commit a crime in the future. Former employees of the sheriff's office said deputies were instructed to visit the homes of people the algorithm selected, charge them with zoning violations, and make arrests for any reason they could. Those violations and arrests were then fed back into the algorithm, according to the Tampa Bay Times."

I always thought Minority Report was a pretty good movie but I didn't think we would have a sheriff brilliant enough to make it a reality -- this will be a major break-thru in law enforcement - and it will also trigger the libs who will cry about civil liberties and all of that crap.....

In one example, police came to some 15 yr-old kid's door because the algorithm identified he was in the "Top 5" at risk of committing more crimes -- they showed up at the kid's house 21 times; that kid was so triggered that after one visit, he passed out and his moms had to rush him to the emergency room...I bet whatever crime he was thinking about committing, he won't be doing that now...some groups are opposed to these types of tactics; but I think they can work great -- there was a study that was done that showed this police tactic didn't do much to reduce crime -- but I feel more time is needed to know for sure...

Great idea but waaaaaaaay too soon to be used...the systems are not yet accurate enough to even begin to target the right people for something like this. Right now it's just a slippery slope.
JO

For those interested in the full story:

Pasco’s sheriff created a futuristic program to stop crime before it happens. It monitors and harasses families. | Investigations | Tampa Bay Times

this sort of thing was the coming 'next big thing' in policing..most have seen the flaws and discontinued the practice.

Deputies gave the mother of one teenage target a $2,500 fine because she had five chickens in her backyard. They arrested another target’s father after peering through a window in his house and noticing a 17-year-old friend of his son smoking a cigarette.
As they make checks, deputies feed information back into the system, not just on the people they target, but on family members, friends and anyone else in the target’s orbit.
In the past two years alone, two of the nation’s largest law enforcement agencies have scrapped similar programs following public outcries and reports documenting serious flaws.
In Pasco, however, the initiative has expanded. Last summer, the Sheriff’s Office announced plans to begin keeping tabs on people who have been repeatedly committed to psychiatric hospitals.

The Times shared its findings with the Sheriff’s Office six weeks before this story published. Nocco declined multiple interview requests.

Try as you might, you can't harass and charge people for things they have not done.

check out the sheriff....appointed by republican governor. It seems to me that the left would like this algorithm method seeing as they use it against the right in social media. Now the don't like it when it is used, if it is, against a criminal element that is more than likely democrat supporting.

And the kid that collapsed.... Anxiety? and drugs.

check out the sheriff....appointed by republican governor. It seems to me that the left would like this algorithm method seeing as they use it against the right in social media. Now the don't like it when it is used, if it is, against a criminal element that is more than likely democrat supporting.

And the kid that collapsed.... Anxiety? and drugs.
Drugs definitely. Stolen or bought with stolen money. Whichever, it is what it is.

This is dumb as fuck tyranny! They need to lock-up the actual repeat criminals & leave the innocent alone instead of turning them into criminals!

Last edited:

We dont need an algorithm when theyre joggers

In a statement to Business Insider, a spokesperson for the Pasco Sheriff's Office defended the practice, saying other police departments use similar methods, and accused the Tampa Bay Times of depicting "basic law enforcement functions" as unnecessary harassment.

Because that is exactly what this is. Well it's even worse than that. It's a clear violation of people's civil rights and yes, it's stuff like this that will cause people to form militia's to start protecting themselves from the state.

Forum List

Back