Flooded Electric Vehicles Spontaneously Catch On Fire In Florida After Hurricane

Deplorable Yankee

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2019
DIXIE
There's a ton of EVs disabled from Ian. As those batteries corrode, fires start," according to Jimmy Patronis, Florida's top financial officer and fire marshal.

Patronis tweeted Thursday that after Hurricane Ian made landfall last week and flooded regions of his state, a bunch of electric vehicles (EVs) were caught in floods, batteries were waterlogged, and some spontaneously caught on fire.

Ban evs?

Having the stupid L-I EVs be a significant fire hazard is not enough reason in itself to not get one but it ads to the list of reasons why it is shitty technology.

Having the stupid L-I EVs be a significant fire hazard is not enough reason in itself to not get one but it ads to the list of reasons why it is shitty technology.
Curious why you think an EV with a significantly elevated risk of fire hazard is not reason enough to not get one?
What is the threshold on reasons to not get any EV?

If the fact they are widely know to catch fire is not enough to refuse to get one, then just opposition to the junk science of both green technology & climate change is not even in consideration.

Hey, it just means some Floridians get an easier insurance check. Cars damaged in floods can take a while. Burned cars are quicker.

Curious why you think an EV with a significantly elevated risk of fire hazard is not reason enough to not get one?
What is the threshold on reasons to not get any EV?

If the fact they are widely know to catch fire is not enough to refuse to get one, then just opposition to the junk science of both green technology & climate change is not even in consideration.
To me L-I vehicle technology is crappy and I would never get one.

From what I understand fire is an elevated risk but not one that I would characterize as "significant".

I live with elevated L-I fire risk with my computers and power tools.

There are many good reasons not to get a L-I vehicle but I don't think the fire risk by itself would be a deal breaker.

You know what is a deal breaker just by itself, regardless of all the other reasons? It is getting an L-I vehicle and all my friends and family thinking I am an idiot.

I think one of these days they will come up with good EV technology. Solid State looks promising if they can overcome a couple of real engineering problems. However, L-I is just not it. Anybody that gets one is a fool.

From what I understand fire is an elevated risk but not one that I would characterize as "significant".

There are many good reasons not to get a L-I vehicle but I don't think the fire risk by itself would be a deal breaker.

You know what is a deal breaker just by itself, regardless of all the other reasons? It is getting an L-I vehicle and all my friends and family thinking I am an idiot.

I think one of these days they will come up with good EV technology. Solid State looks promising if they can overcome a couple of real engineering problems. However, L-I is just not it. Anybody that gets one is a fool.

I agree with your assessment of the fire risk. I don't think it is as big a deal as people try to make it. Besides, if you want to talk fire risk, a vehicle carrying between 10 and 35 gallons of explosively flammable liquid seems a greater risk.

I agree with your assessment of the fire risk. I don't think it is as big a deal as people try to make it. Besides, if you want to talk fire risk, a vehicle carrying between 10 and 35 gallons of explosively flammable liquid seems a greater risk.
It is many times greater a risk. ICE powered vehicles suffer far, far more fires than do EVs

Depends on where you get your electric power ... if you're burning fossil fuels, don't buy an EV, it's a waste of money ... however, if you get your electricity from renewable sources, like hydro, then an EV is a good idea ... not great, but good ...

What folks seem to forget is we're not replacing piston-engine rigs one-for-one ... for every 10 gas burners we ditch, we replace with ONE electric ... whatever problems one can imagine is eliminated just because there's only 10% passenger rigs left on the roads ...

What does the United States look like with only 25 million passenger rigs instead of 250 million? ... well, truck traffic will be on time more often ... roads will be empty during rush hour ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

All cars are damaged by flooding.
For all intents and purposes a flooded car can never be the same due to thousands of corrosion points added to the mix.
Not to mention water in bearings and places it should never be.

"The elevated risk" for EVs IS the battery assembly.
They are Lithium batteries.
Due to their volatility it is likely that none of these flooded batteries would be re certified for passenger or commercial vehicle use.
They are highly intolerant of under charge (being flat) and to shorting. Both of which will likely occur after the vehicle has been flooded.
This is where the elevated fire hazard come in and it can occur spontaneously weeks or months after the flood waters are gone.
I suspect just the claims on EVs will run astronomically high and Florida homeowners will bear the brunt of those increases.
I also expect a LOT of post flood EV fires to pop up frequently if those vehicles with those batteries are put back in service.

Dendrites inside the battery etc.

Forum List

Back