Flashback: John Kerry Predicts The Arctic Will Be "Ice Free" By 2014 (This Is From June 25, 2009)

Transcripts of Arctic sea ice liveshot Walt Meier canned interview​

>>Interviewer: As we enter the dog days of summer in the United States, things are heating up even more for farther north with melting Arctic sea ice, and here to tell us more about it, out of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland is NASA scientist Walt Meier. Thanks for joining us, Walt.

>>Walt: Alright, thanks for having me. >>

Interviewer: The Arctic is losing sea ice at a faster rate in recent years. How are things looking this year, and what are we seeing in the long-term trend? >>

Walt: Well this year, we're reaching the end of the summer as the sea ice, the ice floating on the ocean, declines through the summer under the 24 hours of sunlight. And we're about a month away from the minimum, maybe a little bit less. And this is looking not as extreme as we've seen in some recent years, like the record low in 2012, but it is a one of the lowest that we've seen in our 36-year satellite record and it's continuing a long-term trend that we've seen since 1979 where we've lost about a third of the sea ice covered area from the Arctic Ocean and actually over half of the thickness and really two thirds of the volume. So we've really seen a dramatic change in the ice cover over the last 35 years or so. >>

Interviewer: Why are we seeing these changes in the Arctic? >>Walt: Well, basically the Earth is warming. And the warmer temperatures are melting the ice, and we're seeing particularly warming in the Arctic and that's actually part of a feedback with the sea ice, where as the warming temperatures melt the ice, the ice goes away and the ice that acts as a reflector of the Sun's energy and helps keep things cool is disappearing. And then the ocean, which is much darker, and more absorptive of the Sun's energy, there's more ocean exposed and it's warming up the ocean and melting more ice and then warming the atmosphere, as we get this amplification of the warming in the Arctic. >>

Interviewer: What is NASA doing to understand these changes? >>Walt: Well NASA's been looking at the sea ice for well over 35 years, with satellites and aircraft, and this year we have a particularly exciting mission called ARISE that's flying up over the Arctic sea ice. It's leaving next week actually, at the end of August. And it's going to be flyling over sea ice and through the clouds and looking at the interaction between the clouds and the atmosphere and the sea ice itself to see how these interact and better understand the processes that are driving the loss of the sea ice as well as potentially changes in the Arctic climate and weather. >>

Interviewer: How will these changes affect the United States? >>Walt: Well, as I mentioned the Arctic climate is changing. But what happens in the Arctic doesn't stay in the Arctic. It's not like Las Vegas. What we see is the Arctic is very much connected to the lower latitudes and to the United States, particularly through the jet stream, which is the high-level fast winds that flow across the United States. And sometimes they get wavier which lets air come down from the Arctic, and actually that leads to extreme weather patterns. And we're seeing a more wavy pattern as the sea ice has been going down over the last decades. >>

Interviewer: Where can we learn more? >>Walt: You can learn a little more at NASA.gov/EarthRightNow, where you can see information on all of NASA's many satellites that are looking at all aspects of the Earth, as well as images and other information. Anything you really want to know about with what NASA's doing to study the Earth. >>Interviewer: Dr. Walt Meier, thank you very much for joining us. >>Walt: Alright, thank you.

Last edited:
you're arguing against the scientific community. You're not arguing with me. You can take anything out of context and build an argument around that.

You don't know what the scientific community says, or you would have been posting cogent counterpoints but that is clearly above your poverty level paygrade.

"And this is looking not as extreme as we've seen in some recent years, like the record low in 2012," okay

You don't know what the scientific community says, or you would have been posting cogent counterpoints but that is clearly above your poverty level paygrade.
counterpoints to who? A Keyboard Scientist, who keeps conflating things ..especially his own knowledge?

The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence.

"And this is looking not as extreme as we've seen in some recent years, like the record low in 2012," okay

Transcripts of Arctic sea ice liveshot Walt Meier canned interview​

>>Interviewer: As we enter the dog days of summer in the United States, things are heating up even more for farther north with melting Arctic sea ice, and here to tell us more about it, out of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland is NASA scientist Walt Meier. Thanks for joining us, Walt.

>>Walt: Alright, thanks for having me. >>

Interviewer: The Arctic is losing sea ice at a faster rate in recent years. How are things looking this year, and what are we seeing in the long-term trend? >>

Walt: Well this year, we're reaching the end of the summer as the sea ice, the ice floating on the ocean, declines through the summer under the 24 hours of sunlight. And we're about a month away from the minimum, maybe a little bit less. And this is looking not as extreme as we've seen in some recent years, like the record low in 2012, but it is a one of the lowest that we've seen in our 36-year satellite record and it's continuing a long-term trend that we've seen since 1979 where we've lost about a third of the sea ice covered area from the Arctic Ocean and actually over half of the thickness and really two thirds of the volume. So we've really seen a dramatic change in the ice cover over the last 35 years or so. >>

Interviewer: Why are we seeing these changes in the Arctic? >>Walt: Well, basically the Earth is warming. And the warmer temperatures are melting the ice, and we're seeing particularly warming in the Arctic and that's actually part of a feedback with the sea ice, where as the warming temperatures melt the ice, the ice goes away and the ice that acts as a reflector of the Sun's energy and helps keep things cool is disappearing. And then the ocean, which is much darker, and more absorptive of the Sun's energy, there's more ocean exposed and it's warming up the ocean and melting more ice and then warming the atmosphere, as we get this amplification of the warming in the Arctic. >>

Interviewer: What is NASA doing to understand these changes? >>Walt: Well NASA's been looking at the sea ice for well over 35 years, with satellites and aircraft, and this year we have a particularly exciting mission called ARISE that's flying up over the Arctic sea ice. It's leaving next week actually, at the end of August. And it's going to be flyling over sea ice and through the clouds and looking at the interaction between the clouds and the atmosphere and the sea ice itself to see how these interact and better understand the processes that are driving the loss of the sea ice as well as potentially changes in the Arctic climate and weather. >>

Interviewer: How will these changes affect the United States? >>Walt: Well, as I mentioned the Arctic climate is changing. But what happens in the Arctic doesn't stay in the Arctic. It's not like Las Vegas. What we see is the Arctic is very much connected to the lower latitudes and to the United States, particularly through the jet stream, which is the high-level fast winds that flow across the United States. And sometimes they get wavier which lets air come down from the Arctic, and actually that leads to extreme weather patterns. And we're seeing a more wavy pattern as the sea ice has been going down over the last decades. >>

Interviewer: Where can we learn more? >>Walt: You can learn a little more at NASA.gov/EarthRightNow, where you can see information on all of NASA's many satellites that are looking at all aspects of the Earth, as well as images and other information. Anything you really want to know about with what NASA's doing to study the Earth. >>Interviewer: Dr. Walt Meier, thank you very much for joining us. >>Walt: Alright, thank you.

Ha ha ha ha ha,

You missed the most important part the one I was referring to and do you know who Dr. Meier is?

"It has been suggested that the Arctic really can’t lose all its sea ice during summer because there isn’t enough energy to melt all of the ice in the short summer. There are a couple of reasons why this thinking is faulty.

First, we know the Arctic can potentially lose all its sea ice during summer because it has done so in the past. Examination of several proxy records (e.g., sediment cores) of sea ice indicate ice-free or near ice-free summer conditions for at least some time during the period of 15,000 to 5,000 years ago (Polyak et al., 2010) when Arctic temperatures were not much warmer than today."

LINK

======

From the NSIDC website:

Walter Meier​

Senior Research Scientist, DAAC Scientist​

Excerpt:

About Walter​

Walt Meier is a senior research scientist at NSIDC. His primary role is supporting the NASA Snow and Ice Distributed Active Archive Center (DAAC) at NSIDC as the DAAC scientist. In this role he provides scientific support to all NASA products at the NSIDC DAAC. His research focus is on sea ice remote sensing, particularly using passive microwave data, and tracking Arctic climate change. He is the principal investigator for the NASA-funded Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis, and is a co-investigator on other NASA, NOAA, and NSF sea ice projects at NSIDC. He has participated in numerous collaborative activities, including National Academies committees, the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) Cryosphere Working Group, the Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC), the World Climate Research Program (WCRP) Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) and Data Advisory Council (WDAC), the Global Cryosphere Watch, and the Submarine Arctic Science Program (SCICEX) Science Advisory Committee. Meier is lead author of the sea ice chapter of the annual NOAA Arctic Report Card. He also enjoys conveying information on Arctic sea ice and climate change to the public through media interviews, public lectures and seminars, and educational outreach.

Specialties​

Sea ice, passive microwave remote sensing, climate data records of sea ice, Arctic climate change, climate change.

LINK

======

Lot more in the link including a nice list of published research for 17 pages.

I think he is a credible source as he is one of the worlds experts on Sea Ice.

counterpoints to who? A Keyboard Scientist, who keeps conflating things ..especially his own knowledge?

The Dunning-Kruger effect effect occurs when a person's lack of knowledge and skills in a certain area cause them to overestimate their own competence.

You post nothing of value but to deflect hiding your inability to discuss anything and be hypocritical in pushing the Dunning-Kruger crap when YOU show no sign you understand anything in the thread at all.

Cheers.

your bias and emotions are showing

so it's about western civilizations being blamed?
There's nothing biased about it. It's just empirical evidence from the geologic record. Not sure how you made the leap from a flawed model to western civilization is being blamed.

You don't know the first thing about the planet's climate. Nothing, nada, zip.

Yet I fail to see you agreeing with his analysis

Just as I expected you have nothing coherent to offer just more deflection and run around bullshit, here is what I posted to show that is one of many similar statements I have been pointing out about PAST low to zero summer ice in the Arctic region all of it backed by published research.

"It has been suggested that the Arctic really can’t lose all its sea ice during summer because there isn’t enough energy to melt all of the ice in the short summer. There are a couple of reasons why this thinking is faulty.

First, we know the Arctic can potentially lose all its sea ice during summer because it has done so in the past. Examination of several proxy records (e.g., sediment cores) of sea ice indicate ice-free or near ice-free summer conditions for at least some time during the period of 15,000 to 5,000 years ago (Polyak et al., 2010) when Arctic temperatures were not much warmer than today."

bolding mine

I have been telling YOU what scientists are saying about the Sea ice cover posted a link to a number of papers published by scientists who says similar which you ignored because your prejudice is making you stupid.

You are pathetic pile of bullshit.

you're arguing against the scientific community. You're not arguing with me. You can take anything out of context and build an argument around that.
I'm arguing for the geologic record and empirical climate data over a flawed model that triples the GHG effect of CO2 through net positive feedback from water vapor when the empirical evidence shows water vapor is a net negative feedback.

See?

1673744930146.png

You post nothing of value but to deflect hiding your inability to discuss anything and be hypocritical in pushing the Dunning-Kruger crap when YOU show no sign you understand anything in the thread at all.

Cheers.
you ranted and raved about a chart showing something about 2007. Then I see a low lower than 2007 in 2012? Kerry was speaking of the “Ice Free Arctic Summer” and not “ Ice Free Arctic” ... you appear to be saying it's all nothing to worry about, when the source/export you're hiding behind does not take that stance

You're a Keyboard Expert here.

again:

Given that you don't know the first thing about the planet's climate and insist others accept your beliefs you just described yourself.

so you're choosing to ignore human contributions and the effects on cities and coasts?
No. Temperature is temperature. The previous interglacial had 26 ft higher seas with 120 ppm less atmospheric CO2 than today. Temperature does not correlate to CO2. It never has. Prior to the industrial revolution CO2 correlated to temperature. In other words, atmospheric CO2 was a function of temperature. Temperature was not a function of CO2.

beliefs?

go away
No thanks. I like it here. You will leave before I do because your posting gives me opportunities to explain what the empirical climate data from the geologic record is telling us and to poke holes in their flawed models and arguments.

For instance did you know they routinely tune out natural variation in their climate models?

so you're choosing to ignore human contributions and the effects on cities and coasts?
How did what I wrote in post #60 ignore human contribution?

I have a slightly different take... humans are affecting climate but not because of the GHG effect of CO2 - which is over exaggerated due to flawed models which more than triple the GHG effect of CO2 through nebulous claims of net positive feedback - but because of deforestation and urbanization which affect albedo. But there's no money to be made off of that because no one has the stomach to swallow that medicine or the courage to speak out about it. So instead they preach to western industrialized nations about the evils of CO2 when their emissions have been declining for almost two decades and ignore where the real growth of carbon emissions are occurring; developing and emerging countries with low per capita carbon emissions. There's way too much bias and emotion in the climate science community which is clouding their ability to be objective.

No thanks. I like it here. You will leave before I do because your posting gives me opportunities to explain what the empirical climate data from the geologic record is telling us and to poke holes in their flawed models and arguments.

For instance did you know they routinely tune out natural variation in their climate models?
So you are using the empirical climate data from the geologic record ? Where did that data come from? How can you trust that data if it's produced by the very same people you're attacking?

Forum List

Back