First college football playoff committee releases its first ranking of the season

I'll stand to be corrected.

I'm basing it on every week Alabama plays an SEC school and went 10-2 while toppling the #1 team in the nation versus Cincy playing the likes of Navy, Eastern Carolina, and Murray State.

Cool. I hate to burst your bubble but outside UGA and Alabama the SEC is mediocre. There was a small window when that wasn't the case, but other teams and conferences have caught up. I would agree that Alabama is likely the better squad. They have more experience in this spot, all around better coaching and far more depth than UC. That said, UC can play. I would argue they are built to match up better with the Alabama's of the world than they are the Eastern Carolina's.

Alabama also lost to a bad 4 loss Texas A&M team.

Oh and the pressure is all on Alabama. They are supposed to win this game going away.

Cool. I hate to burst your bubble but outside UGA and Alabama the SEC is mediocre.
Yeah okay. That is hilarious.
There was a small window when that wasn't the case, but other teams and conferences have caught up. I would agree that Alabama is likely the better squad. They have more experience in this spot, all around better coaching and far more depth than UC. That said, UC can play. I would argue they are built to match up better with the Alabama's of the world than they are the Eastern Carolina's.
Were these the same guys who beat Navy by one score? What was Navy's record again?
Alabama also lost to a bad 4 loss Texas A&M team.
It was a loss. Not sure it was that bad a loss to a bowl team that was ranked in the top ten at one point this season.
Oh and the pressure is all on Alabama. They are supposed to win this game going away.

True. All of the pressure is on Alabama. Teams can do incredible things when the pressure is off.

Yeah okay. That is hilarious.

Were these the same guys who beat Navy by one score? What was Navy's record again?

It was a loss. Not sure it was that bad a loss to a bowl team that was ranked in the top ten at one point this season.

True. All of the pressure is on Alabama. Teams can do incredible things when the pressure is off.
Texas A&M's ranking was based solely on the fact that they beat Alabama. That's it. There's nothing else on their resume that says they are a top 25 team let alone top 10. Was it the win against Kent or Colorado that pushed them over the hump do you think? You know it was probably the Prairie View game. And the mantra that well they were ranked high when I beat them just means that the people doing the rankings got it wrong. Where you end up in the rankings at the end of the year is much closer to who you were all year than what you were ranked early.

Being a bowl team is not a metric for how good you are. If you are .500 or better, you'll get a bowl game. Especially if you have a good fan base.

We will see how it plays out. I hope for Alabama fans sake the Alabama players aren't taking UC as lightly as you are.....

The SEC is 100% overrated. As proof I give you Ole Miss. Lost both games they played against good teams by a wide margin, and they are ranked 8. Ahead of 2 power 5 conference champions with wins against top 25 teams.

They are ranked ahead of MSU who beat the current #2.

I also give you UK with 3 losses and no wins over top 25 teams.

And Ark. with 4 losses and you guessed it zero wins against top 25 teams (they are weirdly ranked ahead of UK).

It's a circle jerk. Im good because I beat you. Your good because you beat him and he's good because he beat me.

Texas A&M's ranking was based solely on the fact that they beat Alabama. That's it. There's nothing else on their resume that says they are a top 25 team let alone top 10.

Calm down... They were ranked 7 in the preseason poll.
Was it the win against Kent or Colorado that pushed them over the hump do you think? You know it was probably the Prairie View game. And the mantra that well they were ranked high when I beat them just means that the people doing the rankings got it wrong. Where you end up in the rankings at the end of the year is much closer to who you were all year than what you were ranked early.

Being a bowl team is not a metric for how good you are. If you are .500 or better, you'll get a bowl game. Especially if you have a good fan base.

We will see how it plays out. I hope for Alabama fans sake the Alabama players aren't taking UC as lightly as you are.....
Again, calm down. I'm sure they aren't. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game. I think Alabama won't break a sweat but don't let that upset you. Cincy may win.

The SEC is 100% overrated. As proof I give you Ole Miss. Lost both games they played against good teams by a wide margin, and they are ranked 8. Ahead of 2 power 5 conference champions with wins against top 25 teams.

They are ranked ahead of MSU who beat the current #2.

I also give you UK with 3 losses and no wins over top 25 teams.

And Ark. with 4 losses and you guessed it zero wins against top 25 teams (they are weirdly ranked ahead of UK).

It's a circle jerk. Im good because I beat you. Your good because you beat him and he's good because he beat me.
And Vandy... terrible football team (cool uniforms though).

Lighten up.

Calm down... They were ranked 7 in the preseason poll.

Again, calm down. I'm sure they aren't. Hopefully it will be an entertaining game. I think Alabama won't break a sweat but don't let that upset you. Cincy may win.

And Vandy... terrible football team (cool uniforms though).

Lighten up.
Preseason rankings?

To quote the President... COME ON MAAAAN.....

Preseason rankings?

To quote the President... COME ON MAAAAN.....

Okay, on September 11, they were ranked #5 in the nation...#7 on 9/18, ...still #7 on 9/25... Its not as if they were not ranked before they beat Alabama.

Texas A&M's ranking was based solely on the fact that they beat Alabama. That's it. There's nothing else on their resume that says they are a top 25 team let alone top 10.

Okay, on September 11, they were ranked #5 in the nation...#7 on 9/18, ...still #7 on 9/25... Its not as if they were not ranked before they beat Alabama.
And Clemson was ranked 2 at the start of the season. Just because someone thought they were good doesn't mean they were actually good. Michigan wasnt ranked at the start of the season, and they are 2 now. Rankings before a single game is played are BS you know it and so does everyone else if they are being honest. The worst part about them is it's far easier to stay ranked high if you start there than it is to move up regardless of how good you actually are. Rankings prior to week 4-5 are meaningless..

And Clemson was ranked 2 at the start of the season. Just because someone thought they were good doesn't mean they were actually good. Michigan wasnt ranked at the start of the season, and they are 2 now. Rankings before a single game is played are BS you know it and so does everyone else if they are being honest. The worst part about them is it's far easier to stay ranked high if you start there than it is to move up regardless of how good you actually are. Rankings prior to week 4-5 are meaningless..

Ahh, now it's week 4-5. Soon it will be "rankings are meaningless"....right? (I expect Alabama to confirm that against Cincy by the way)

But back to your post....Well, on week 4, A&M was a top 10 team. Sorry.

1639069587270.png

Where they promptly lost. Oregon was #3 and we saw what happened to them.

But that is the yardstick that we have. If you want to go stat-geek and come up with some metric to supplant it...feel free. It can't be any worse than these rankings.

Ahh, now it's week 4-5. Soon it will be "rankings are meaningless"....right? (I expect Alabama to confirm that against Cincy by the way)

But back to your post....Well, on week 4, A&M was a top 10 team. Sorry.

View attachment 573629

Where they promptly lost. Oregon was #3 and we saw what happened to them.

But that is the yardstick that we have. If you want to go stat-geek and come up with some metric to supplant it...feel free. It can't be any worse than these rankings.
Well when you play no one and have a high preseason ranking it's pretty easy to stay in the top 10 isnt it? What happened the next 2 weeks? They promptly lost to 2 middle of the road teams and dropped into obscurity until the Alabama game. Is it more likely that Texas A&M was a top 10 team in week 4 but forgot how to play football so they were completely out of the rankings 2 weeks later? Or that they were never really a top 10 team and were vastly overrated from the start based on their name, coach and the fact that they are in the SEC? I wonder which of those 2 things is true...

Well when you play no one and have a high preseason ranking it's pretty easy to stay in the top 10 isnt it? What happened the next 2 weeks? They promptly lost to 2 middle of the road teams and dropped into obscurity until the Alabama game. Is it more likely that Texas A&M was a top 10 team in week 4 but forgot how to play football so they were completely out of the rankings 2 weeks later? Or that they were never really a top 10 team and were vastly overrated from the start based on their name, coach and the fact that they are in the SEC? I wonder which of those 2 things is true...

Ok. Well, we'll see what Cincy can do with Alabama (and vice versa). I think the NCAA is going to have to have a direct line to the Secretary General of the UN; they may have to call in peace keepers to pull 'Bama off of Cincy and stop the genocide.

Ok. Well, we'll see what Cincy can do with Alabama (and vice versa). I think the NCAA is going to have to have a direct line to the Secretary General of the UN; they may have to call in peace keepers to pull 'Bama off of Cincy and stop the genocide.
you better hope it's not close and God forbid Cincy wins because you're eating a really big humble pie if that happens.

The Crimson Tide will be without starting receiver John Metchie, and starting cornerback Josh Jobe, for the playoffs. Hopefully others will step up and keep us on track.

Forum List

Back