Finland expected to begin process of joining Nato this week - BBC News. How´ll Pootin´s response ? I say : he just swallows it, what else he can do?

How do you 'kick someone out of NATO'?
I don't know about a formal process.

Just have everyone say that they are accepting Finland no matter what Turkey says, and publicly state that no one will do anything to help protect Turkey any longer, so Russia is welcome to invade Turkey whenever they want.

I don't know about a formal process.

Just have everyone say that they are accepting Finland no matter what Turkey says, and publicly state that no one will do anything to help protect Turkey any longer, so Russia is welcome to invade Turkey whenever they want.
And the watermelon seller will gladly let Pootin have his country.

Nobody wants him buut there is no procedure for expelling a member, and despite its government, Turkey's location is strategically important.
Their territory may be strategically important, but if Turkey is not an actual ally (and they are not), then their strategic location provides no value to the alliance.

Turkey is an important ally for NATO. Big and strong army, geographical location, control of the straits to the Black Sea.

But Turkey should decide for itself who it wants to be allied with. With NATO, and that should mean reassessment of its policy toward Russia (which includes joining to economic sanctions, buying Russian hardware, unilateral agreements in Syria).

Or with Russia. In this case there is no way except of excluding it from the bloc.

Except, they aren't actually an ally. Turkey is NATO's enemy.
I wouldn't call them an enemy, so far. Just Erdogan has been trying to play his own role as a regional leader. But if he really vetoes joining the two countries to NATO, this should be a final countdown for Turkey membership.

Their territory may be strategically important, but if Turkey is not an actual ally (and they are not), then their strategic location provides no value to the alliance.
While Turkey is very disappointing as a NATO, the US still have 50 nuclear weapons stationed in Turkey, so it is not without any value.

Storing nukes there is a liability, not a value. We should pull those nukes out before Turkey steals them from us.
Those are scheduled to be replaced, but I don't know what the timeframe is. By 2026 in theory. All of the existing B61's will be upgraded to the -12.

Mod 12 will need recertified, and F-16 may not be a delivery platform for the B61-12. That will be taken over by the F-35, we may not want to spend the flight testing $$$ on F-16's.

Considering Turkey's drift, and since Turkey is out of the F-35, I would think the B-61's at Incirlik will be relocated. There are about 100 B61's in Europe, 20 in Turkey as per below link. These are all non-strategic "dial-a-yield" gravity bombs.

230 B61's now in all, that's set to go up to 400, all will be mod 12.

230 B61's now in all, that's set to go up to 400, all will be mod 12.
I expect that we will end up with 480 B61-12 tactical nuclear bombs.

The B61-12 is a highly-modernized B61-4, and there are 480 B61-4 bombs that we could potentially modernize.

We'll probably also keep a few hundred of the old B61-7 strategic nuclear bombs for our B2 bombers to drop for the next ten years or so, before phasing out both the B2 bomber and the B61-7 in favor of newer bomber systems.

I'm hearing reports that Russia cut off Finland's power. Dunno exactly what that means...
But it's going to some sort of disruption. Not that Finland uses a lot of power.

I expect that we will end up with 480 B61-12 tactical nuclear bombs.

The B61-12 is a highly-modernized B61-4, and there are 480 B61-4 bombs that we could potentially modernize.

We'll probably also keep a few hundred of the old B61-7 strategic nuclear bombs for our B2 bombers to drop for the next ten years or so, before phasing out both the B2 bomber and the B61-7 in favor of newer bomber systems.
I meant to say the 230 were all the non-strategic versions, the rest of the B61's are strategic under New Start.

I've heard 400 and 480, I think DOE is still saying 400 but I could be wrong.

I'm hearing reports that Russia cut off Finland's power. Dunno exactly what that means...
But it's going to some sort of disruption. Not that Finland uses a lot of power.
Finland says Russia supplies only a small amount of electricity and it can easily be replaced.

I've heard 400 and 480, I think DOE is still saying 400 but I could be wrong.
480 is the most that we could upgrade from existing B61-4s, because 480 is the number of B61-4s that we currently possess.

We used to have 695 of the B61-4 bombs. But we modified 215 of them into B61-10 bombs.

It is possible that someone has a plan to only upgrade 400, and to leave the last 80 un-upgraded. But I'm guessing that sooner or later all 480 will end up upgraded.

Forum List

Back