Fine. Stop Working.

I often wonder why we have prison industries at all. They take jobs away from non criminal workers.

As for the strike itself, the justice system is a travesty and needs overhaul from front to back. It will go nowhere until someone with influence is incarcerated and is treated like just another arrestee.

I'm guessing you have had no personal interaction with the criminal element in this country, nor have you visited one of our penal institutions.

So, that pretty much makes you distinctly unqualified to pass judgement, don't you think?

You'd guess wrong but don't feel bad; you're usually wrong when you're not guessing also.

But just as an example of what I'm talking about...a guy is arrested for criminal trespassing because he's homeless. Now that he has a misdemeanor on his record, he can no longer go to many shelters. So he's homeless and not able to go to the Salvation Army for example. They let him out on a PR bond and he's wandering the streets until his court date comes about. He doesn't show up (hard to find a calendar or a tree to hang it on) and is now hit with an FTA on top of the original charge when he's arrested again. This time the judge sentences him to time in the clink so now the original criminal trespass has blossomed into jail time at taxpayers expense.

Just one of several examples of how out of whack the system is.

I often wonder why we have prison industries at all. They take jobs away from non criminal workers.

As for the strike itself, the justice system is a travesty and needs overhaul from front to back. It will go nowhere until someone with influence is incarcerated and is treated like just another arrestee.

Facility I worked at was on 3,000 acres, and, until bleeding hearts got involved, had 1500-2000 of it planted in corn, wheat, and vegetables. it had cows, pigs, and a slaughter house.

It was self sufficient, didn't cost the state a dime to feed 2,000+ inmates.

Wife keeps in contact with friends back there, and it seems that after 100 years, they have closed down all farming.

Seems a waste to me

They should shutdown all prison industries. Put law abiding Americans to work.

Great idea

Just leave those poor misunderstood felons with nothing to do but pump iron, watch television, and plan ways to escape.

Makes a lot of sense.:cuckoo:

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Therefore my plan makes a lot more sense than yours. But then again....outsmarting you is no great feat.

Actually, your plan is nonsense ... it saves no jobs. Linear thinking is one thing, tunnel vision is something else.
The guys at Aramark would differ with you but then again, they know what they are talking about. You? Don't be silly.
Michigan cancels Aramark contract to provide food service at state prisons

Typical little Candycorn logic. Pick a product made by a company with billions of dollars in the bank, and a lot sitting overseas untaxed to make your liberal point. You are such a dimwit. The people buying $700 phones are not the ones you liberals are suppose to care about. Do your liberal friends just ask you to shut your mouth when they are debating a Trumpster?

Love it when I'm told "who I should care about". #1 its me. I love my Iphone, My I Pad and my Mac. Loved my Ipod back when it had a use unique to it's self. Windows is the best salesman Apple ever had.

But again, since it is the most glaring example of the triumph of globalization, I'll ask you, how much of a tariff needs to be placed on the I-phone to force Apple to open a plant in California--what does the sticker price have to say to make the jobs come back???

Why not attempt to answer a question instead of just showing us how dim you are?
There wouldn't be a tariff on an iPhone. There would only be a tariff on an iPhone if iPhones were already made here and the factory closed and moved overseas.

Facility I worked at was on 3,000 acres, and, until bleeding hearts got involved, had 1500-2000 of it planted in corn, wheat, and vegetables. it had cows, pigs, and a slaughter house.

Wife keeps in contact with friends back there, and it seems that after 100 years, they have closed down all farming.

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

Just leave those poor misunderstood felons with nothing to do but pump iron, watch television, and plan ways to escape.

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Therefore my plan makes a lot more sense than yours. But then again....outsmarting you is no great feat.

They can do the jobs Americans dont want to do.

Prisons can be self supporting when it comes to food and they can sell whatever produce or meat left over to help offset the cost of running the prison.
The prisoners learn the value of hard work,they eat and it defrays the cost to the tax payer...win,win.

Typical little Candycorn logic. Pick a product made by a company with billions of dollars in the bank, and a lot sitting overseas untaxed to make your liberal point. You are such a dimwit. The people buying $700 phones are not the ones you liberals are suppose to care about. Do your liberal friends just ask you to shut your mouth when they are debating a Trumpster?

Love it when I'm told "who I should care about". #1 its me. I love my Iphone, My I Pad and my Mac. Loved my Ipod back when it had a use unique to it's self. Windows is the best salesman Apple ever had.

But again, since it is the most glaring example of the triumph of globalization, I'll ask you, how much of a tariff needs to be placed on the I-phone to force Apple to open a plant in California--what does the sticker price have to say to make the jobs come back???

Why not attempt to answer a question instead of just showing us how dim you are?
There wouldn't be a tariff on an iPhone. There would only be a tariff on an iPhone if iPhones were already made here and the factory closed and moved overseas.

Okay, so it won't bring a job back but it would prevent other jobs from leaving--presumably because a company would rather pay employees than the tariffs?

Correct?

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Prisons can be self supporting when it comes to food and they can sell whatever produce or meat left over to help offset the cost of running the prison.
The prisoners learn the value of hard work,they eat and it defrays the cost to the tax payer...win,win.

Total garbage:

There are prisons in Colorado raising talapia.
Whole Foods will no longer sell fish produced by Colorado prisoners – The Denver Post

According to wikipedia, it is a $60B industry (fish farming in general). Obviously it is a job that Americans can and are doing.

There is no "win win". The non criminals who were growing the fish sold by Whole Foods in the link were losing out to the slave labor from the State. Furthermore, the prisons are there to punish those who break the law; not become a jobs program where they get free training while others who are not incarcerated have to pay for such training.

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Total garbage:

Whole Foods will no longer sell fish produced by Colorado prisoners – The Denver Post

According to wikipedia, it is a $60B industry (fish farming in general). Obviously it is a job that Americans can and are doing.

There is no "win win". The non criminals who were growing the fish sold by Whole Foods in the link were losing out to the slave labor from the State. Furthermore, the prisons are there to punish those who break the law; not become a jobs program where they get free training while others who are not incarcerated have to pay for such training.

Who said anything about tilapia in Colorado?

A good prison system reforms people into becoming honest hard working members of society when they get out. Teaching people crafts and trades is a big part of that. And just working hard for 8 hours on basic tasks is a big part of that process.

Seems a waste to me

I don't think you understand what prisons are.

I always look at this from a different angle than most.

Most (if not all) people here assume everyone is guilty, but there are an estimated 30,000 innocent people in prison right now. It's bad enough we lock them up like animals but then we force them to work slave labor jobs? Someone as innocent (or more innocent) than you?

I'm torn on this one. I can see it from both sides.

A good prison system reforms people into becoming honest hard working members of society when they get out. Teaching people crafts and trades is a big part of that. And just working hard for 8 hours on basic tasks is a big part of that process.

Do you think we have a “good” prison system now?

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Total garbage:

Just educating you of why prison industries should be shut down. Some farmer somewhere is not able to sell (or wasn’t able to) his/her tilapia to Whole Foods because they can’t match the slave labor of the prison in Colorado that was selling them tilapia.

Of course you have to want to learn before you learn anything. I’m pretty sure you’re in the ignorance is bliss crowd being a Trump knob polisher and all.

I always look at this from a different angle than most.

Most (if not all) people here assume everyone is guilty, but there are an estimated 30,000 innocent people in prison right now. It's bad enough we lock them up like animals but then we force them to work slave labor jobs? Someone as innocent (or more innocent) than you?

I'm torn on this one. I can see it from both sides.
If they are being fed and housed they should work for it. Many or most in prison have pled down their cases in the first place then with decent behavior get out early, unless it's federal.

They don't just grab people and incarcerate them for shits and giggles. There's a reason we need to isolate them from society. And I wouldn't insult animals comparing them, animals mean no harm.

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Total garbage:

Just educating you of why prison industries should be shut down. Some farmer somewhere is not able to sell (or wasn’t able to) his/her tilapia to Whole Foods because they can’t match the slave labor of the prison in Colorado that was selling them tilapia.

Of course you have to want to learn before you learn anything. I’m pretty sure you’re in the ignorance is bliss crowd being a Trump knob polisher and all.
They do need to compete at fair market prices. I'd agree with that.

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Total garbage:

Why not sell the fish at market price? That way it evens the playing field.
We pay for those prisons one way or another whether through taxes or lost trash picking jobs on the highway,all you can really do is try to limit the expense to the tax payers.
Having them grow and raise their own food is the best way I can think of to lower those costs and at the same time giving the inmate a sense of pride through work.

Okay, so it won't bring a job back but it would prevent other jobs from leaving--presumably because a company would rather pay employees than the tariffs?

Correct?

Tipsy, let me give you some very sound advice. DO NOT under any circumstances engage yourself in what you think is a logical debate with candybrain. You will end up frustrated and annoyed. Most of us have learned that she is here for one purpose, and one purpose only. That is to be ridiculed for her ditziness. Heed my warning, or learn the hard way.

Seems a waste to me

I don't think you understand what prisons are.

The last time she saw the inside of a prison was watching Shawshank Redemption in 3-D

Forum List

Back